FX On the fence

I don't have a Leshiy to compare to my Impacts, but by all accounts they are fine airguns.

However...

I have read quite a few comments where people were very unhappy with Edgun's customer service. In fact, my brother bought one of the Edgun Matadors and when he had a small issue very shortly after the sale, he contacted Edgun West and was met with the sound of crickets. No one EVER got back to him.

It is the primary reason why I do not own a Leshiy.

I'm just getting into airguns and anxious to purchase my first pcp and have done as much research as I can but I'm stuck between a leshiy 2 and fx impact m3 ..any advice would be nice!!!
Why be “stuck or anxious”? Its a hobby, defined what you practically envision doing with your first PCP. You will get realistic practical answers… Since its your first, my suggestion is whatever “you” choose, keep it simple. The first, implies there will be more.

An Impact isn’t the greatest choice for your first pcp. They are good guns, it’s just that they are very complicated. If you decide to buy one, buy it from a dealer that will set it up for what you are planning to do with it.
Actually the main thing that I'm indecisive about is being able to tinker and tune on them .from what I have gathered the leshiy can't really be messed with very much.im a gunsmith and machinist by trade and totally understand how dangerous compressed air is .and when something is beyond my knowledge I don't get in over my head ..the modularity of the edgun intrigues me but the tuning and endless possibilities on the impact are a tough decision.im starting to be drawn to the panthera compact to .

Reactions: beerthief
Actually the main thing that I'm indecisive about is being able to tinker and tune on them .from what I have gathered the leshiy can't really be messed with very much.im a gunsmith and machinist by trade and totally understand how dangerous compressed air is .and when something is beyond my knowledge I don't get in over my head ..the modularity of the edgun intrigues me but the tuning and endless possibilities on the impact are a tough decision.im starting to be drawn to the panthera compact to .

Any rifle you can tinker and tune with, some come from the factory with more knobs than others, but ultimately as a gunsmith/machinist your limitations are entirely...you. Pneumatic rifles are quite simple in construction, don't fret and get whichever you feel is most well-rounded for your applications.

Some people just want to be told what is best and given direction, and with the saturation in the market its easy to succumb to analysis paralysis.

I'd make a list of a few top choices, and list all the pro's and con's of each, and see which one weighs favorably on the side of pro's. Asking a forum for input is akin to receiving a lot of biases. All three rifles you mention are stellar choices. There will always be the latest and greatest, and to that, something new around the corner...either bite the bullet and get to modding/machining or keep pacing back and forth, the latter will only perpetuate your anxiety, the former will formulate growth. Good luck

-Matt

What's your plan for air? Hand Pump? SCBA tank(s) and having a dive shop, etc fill? Your own compressor? If your own compressor, that opens up an entire other floodgate of options and questions.
Your source of air can dictate your options for sure. For example, if you plan to use a hand pump, I wouldn't go with an impact. Wouldn't be a lot a fun hand pumping a leishy constantly either. Especially if you have the 300cc bottle on it.

Reactions: Moses888
gunsmith/machinist should open up another 100 airguns to you. ?
Have you looked at a lot of PDF's from different airguns? Might be fun for you. A Theoben MKII makes a fine pistol indeed IF you can do the work. On and on. Had an Anschutz barrel installed on a Bam50 ..... .
That FX yes buddy adjustments. But there is a down side to all that. If you enjoy adjusting until perfection (you know how long perfection take) then without a bit of real tuning or making scrap that so you can totally switch ammo so you may adjust to perfection again .... .... . Or do you want a rig that once perfect does exactly what you want every time. Then another rifle (yes)?

Maybe try "if you were a machinist and gunsmith what airguns are really worth looking at title" some more houghtful insight might come to you.

John

The impact does have a lot of features. If you ask me, the panthera or dynamic are cooler choices if you go with an FX. Personally, I have no need or desire for anything more complex than my Crown. I have owned an impact as well, and it just wasn't for me. I prefer the action out front, and a little bit longer profile seems to be better for long range off-hand. Impact also did not point naturally.

I'm just getting into airguns and anxious to purchase my first pcp and have done as much research as I can but I'm stuck between a leshiy 2 and fx impact m3 ..any advice would be nice!!!
Any reason in particular you chose these two?

Have you looked at the BRK Ghost? Its VERY similar in ways to the FX Impact M3, yet alot simpler. Its also about the same price point. There are 14 orings in the Ghost compared to 68 of the M3. Frank has an amazing writeup on the Ghost here.

I've not had an FX, but as I started out I kept hearing about poorer customer service through FX and how finicky the M3 can be. If you want to always fiddle with a gun its great for that. However, I read that if not careful and know what adjustments you are doing and why, you can get it so far out of tune that you need to send it to a shop to get fixed. Do you have friends with M3's that could help? Are there people where you shoot with them?

Just some things to keep in mind.

Reactions: madeintheuk
2 very different guns for very different purposes. While the M3 folks will tell you they can walk with them, they’re heavy and cumbersome. The L2 is a hunting rifle through and through. Light and rugged to carry, easy to shoulder, and accurate for pesting or hunting.
The M3 belongs on the bench where it shines. It’s super adjustable, and laser accurate in this regard.

Also, the L2 IS very tuneable, it’s just a different animal with hammerless design.

If you want to tinker and tune do the M3. I cannot speak to the Edgun as I have never owned one.
When I got into this my interest was similar to yours. I viewed the tuning to being akin to my old reloading habits with my PB’s.
There is a learning curve. Buying a more simple gun will not eliminate the curve. If your desire is to learn to tune and fine tune get the M3. I did the simple gun first route. I would have learned what the simple gun taught me while learning the M3.
As for customer service? My experience and many many others here will attest to FX’s service level. It is extraordinary and their willingness to help you learn is unique. As they told me once, “we want you to mess with the gun and learn it. Call us when you need us.” to my knowledge no other factory has that attitude.