• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX On the fence

Hi Shook!
Since you are a machinist and love to tinker I suggest you go find the YouTube channel "Sub12 Airgunners". A father/son team from the UK do this channel and they are machinist and tinkerers. They have done complete teardowns of both the M3 and the Leishy (and Ghost and Crown and...) as well as machined parts to improve the performance of almost everything they touch. Great channel and source of lots of unbiased info.
P.S> - In case you are unaware, the law in the UK requires a Firearms Certificate (FAC) for any firearm and any airgun which fires a projectile with more than 12 ft-lbs of energy. So a lot of airgun manufacturers have low power versions of their products. This usually involves some sort of de-tuning. These guys work mostly on Sub12 airguns, but usually explain where the differences are for FAC versions.
Cheers,
Greg

Reactions: K0DMT and JohanG
If you are open to other options, I would consider the Wildcat MKIII BT. It's between the power of the FX Crown and the Impact M3, probably closer in power to the M3. It has better ergonomics than the Maverick or Impact M3. It works reasonably well off the bench or as an offhand shooter. If you don't mind the safety at the rear (I do not) it's about perfect. FWIW, I currently own both an Impact M3 and 2 Wildcat MKIII BT's (.22 and .30). I personally would not own a Leshiy 2. Just so many other better choices.

Any reason in particular you chose these two?

Have you looked at the BRK Ghost? Its VERY similar in ways to the FX Impact M3, yet alot simpler. Its also about the same price point. There are 14 orings in the Ghost compared to 68 of the M3. Frank has an amazing writeup on the Ghost here.

I've not had an FX, but as I started out I kept hearing about poorer customer service through FX and how finicky the M3 can be. If you want to always fiddle with a gun its great for that. However, I read that if not careful and know what adjustments you are doing and why, you can get it so far out of tune that you need to send it to a shop to get fixed. Do you have friends with M3's that could help? Are there people where you shoot with them?

Just some things to keep in mind.
Wot?? Poor customer service and FX are two things that DO NOT go together. I have some gripes about some of their manufacturing but their customer support has been excellent.

My Mavericks work fine, tuning is moderately easy once you learn a few things that probably apply to any PCP.

Reactions: madeintheuk
I have both and am also rather new to PCP's. My Leshiy2 is the new 9, 350mm chambered in .22 cal & the Impact is 30 cal. I really like both and either was able to stack pellets on top of each other right out of the box. If I could only choose one it would probably be the Leshiy. There's something about it that just feels better to me, so I enjoy shooting it more than the impact.

I think you should buy both and let me know what you think.

Reactions: HogKiller
I purchased my first PCP the other day, went for a .22 FX Maverick. After a lot of research, I felt having FX support and parts availability was the best move for me. I went through SPAW and they are setting it up to shoot JSB/FX 18.1 and 25.4’s.

Which one did you get, barrel length. Personally, I've found it's easy to shoot pellets out of the Mav, it's more interesting to get them to shoot slugs. By interesting I mean FRUSTRATING.

Reactions: Florida_Man
First PCP has come up a lot. I understand you have your top choices, but just want to add my 2 cents and previous experience.
I got lucky and picked a great first PCP, a FX Royale 400 22cal. That was before they had a regulator or hammer spring dial. Back then there wasn't the choices there are now. If I was new, I would probably go down the same rabbit hole as you.

So onto my recommendation. Daystate Huntman Revere. A great value for the money, dead accurate, and no fuss. It's a great base to start down the PCP journey. Not only will it serve as a great introduction, but it will be a solid backup to a fancy high speed rifle you buy after it.

2 very different guns for very different purposes. While the M3 folks will tell you they can walk with them, they’re heavy and cumbersome. The L2 is a hunting rifle through and through. Light and rugged to carry, easy to shoulder, and accurate for pesting or hunting.
The M3 belongs on the bench where it shines. It’s super adjustable, and laser accurate in this regard.

Also, the L2 IS very tuneable, it’s just a different animal with hammerless design.
this is very true, after all the accessories, backbone rail, trigger gaurd, 700cc bottle, etc etc,..it becomes a very heavy gun, it is not a walk and stalk application by any means, it is purely a benchrest setup.

Reactions: L.Leon and rcs9250
First PCP has come up a lot. I understand you have your top choices, but just want to add my 2 cents and previous experience.
I got lucky and picked a great first PCP, a FX Royale 400 22cal. That was before they had a regulator or hammer spring dial. Back then there wasn't the choices there are now. If I was new, I would probably go down the same rabbit hole as you.

So onto my recommendation. Daystate Huntman Revere. A great value for the money, dead accurate, and no fuss. It's a great base to start down the PCP journey. Not only will it serve as a great introduction, but it will be a solid backup to a fancy high speed rifle you buy after it.
One reason I got the revere safari. I loved the looks. It will serve as a great rifle to hand to a friend to use or as a backup.

I echo all the FX Crown votes. I have two, both laminate stocks (I like adjustable cheekpieces), one is a .22 and the other is .25 specifically for hunting. I carry the .25 in the woods with a single point sling that attaches pretty close to the balance point.
I’ve owned the Impact MK2, a Wildcat, Daystate Huntsman (very good first gun and hunting rifle), Daystate Wolverine and about eight others. Since airgun stores are pretty much non-existent I had to buy to try.
All were very accurate right out of the box and very high quality. Both my Crowns are the factory tune and are amazing. When I get time I may try some tuning but hard to believe I’m going to improve it much.

VP 600mm, even with the Tanto it’ll still be semi compact.
I've got one in .25. Make sure the Slide/cocking block is on snugly. When you know it's working right, use some Purple Loc-tite on the screws, you'll thank me later. Oh and make sure your cocking lever if fully forward before hitting the trigger really bad things happen internally otherwise.

I've got one in .25. Make sure the Slide/cocking block is on snugly. When you know it's working right, use some Purple Loc-tite on the screws, you'll thank me later. Oh and make sure your cocking lever if fully forward before hitting the trigger really bad things happen internally otherwise.
Appreciate the info! I do have the purple loctite also. I’ll make a post when I get the Mav in hand.

I hope the OP finds some of this helpful, that FX does have good customer service and parts availability, because I thought the opposite was true about FX for some reason also.

I would recommend a tunable gun (for you ) but not an M3 as a first rifle . too much tuning available . Air guns are very different animals than gunsmithing PB's . I agree that a Crown would make a great first PCP rifle . Classic looks and handling . very accurate .
I'm "considering" getting another gun in .17 for some strange reason. How are the Crowns in that caliber, apparently they aren't made anymore? I'm very comfortable with Mavericks.

Reactions: NAProf
HogKiller,
I am currently using a Crown MkII with 500mm barrel in .177 for field HFT. Have done pretty well this season even had one high score for match (Brian VL wasn't there that day). Have also had a couple of 199/200 on the 30 yd challenge (You can check out leader board on AGN) with the last having 17/20 X's. So, yes, the Crown in .177 can shoot.
Just traded my Maverick Compact for another Crown MkII, but with a 380mm .177 barrel. Working this up to shoot HFT with 10.3gr pellets. So far not as accurate as the 500mm shooting 13.4gr FX pellets (the same as the old JSB Monsters), but I have only been working on it a week.

Cheers,
Greg

PS- Talk to ViperJoe on AGN. I think he has a couple of .177 Crowns he is willing to part with. You can get a new one, but they are often backordered with the nice laminate stocks.

Reactions: HogKiller
None of them. Get a FX Crown. Basically your first gun should be a Crown and you won't regret it.
If you get into the sport then make your next gun whateve

I agree, it's very much like a standard rifle with the action behind your face where it should be, here's mine and another members collection of the Crown he love's them that much...
CROWN W:EXTENDED BRIDGE copy.jpg
crown.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: donut_man