On the board for NorCal turkeys

I had a short workday today so I arrived home mid/late morning after wrapping up a project. When I was coming up the driveway, I saw a tom turkey at about 500 yards walking steadily across a field. I decided to throw on my ghillie suit at the house, and start hiking quick to get in front of him.

I haven't had my Texan .308 out in a while, and when that happens the hammer gets sticky. I test fired three times in the backyard (it was indeed sticky) and then high tailed it up the creek bed. I figured I had about 15 minutes before the bird got to where I wanted him to be. I covered about half of the distance and then waited for him to pass out of site around a hump. I took advantage of not being seen and made time by trotting. I got the tree line where I thought he's come by and set up under an oak. I caught my breath, got the gun in position, pulled up my face mask and hoped I made the right call.

Within two minutes I saw the bobbing red head over the grass tops. I clicked off the safe and as I raised the gun, he froze looking right at me at 25 yards. Instead of shooting through the grass where I thought his body was I just stood up, took aim, and fired before the bird could make out what I was. The 110 gr. Arsenal flatnose just hammered him. He flopped and then tried to walk away, only to lay down in 10'. I've seen this act before. If you don't break a leg, they'll outrun you. If you do break a leg, they'll fly. Tough buggers. I loaded my second bullet (only grabbed two) and put another in him to make sure he stayed anchored. Unfortunately the second shot went through one of the breasts, but that's the cost of doing business. Better to have a bird with an extra hole than none at all.

download.png
2022turkey.1648753573.jpg

download.png
2022ghillie.1648753588.jpg

Ezana,

The last few years I have had way more success when still-hunting turkeys as opposed to sitting in a blind/calling/decoys. It's without question my preferred way to hunt. Today was sort of impromptu, but due to where I live I can see a long ways from the house. I had missed some great chances last weekend and wounded a bird with my FX .25, so I pulled the ol' trusty Texan back out to hopefully increase the odds of planting the bird. It worked. But I digress...

I like to spot and stalk turkeys. With the .308 Texan I just have to get a bird inside of 150 yards and it's pretty much a chip shot. I aim for chest shots with the Texan and head only with the .25. I've lost a lot of birds with body shots on small bore and last weekend I knocked one down with a head shot and it still ran away on me. F*** that. Texan is once again in my hands for turkeys. Greatest turkey gun ever. Long range, quiet with the suppressor, and puts the birds down hard. 

@Steelhead707 Are you in a valley or foothills?That’s good to know. I’ve been looking into trying to hunt turkeys. Never was much of a bird hunter. Spot-and-stalk sounds appealing. Since I started looking into it I see that some folks hunt them with airbolts. You ever tried or considered trying that with your Texan? I don’t know if there are comercial knocks available in .308, but I’ve seen them in on bolts in .357 and .45. Looks like it may be something to try out, I’m just wondering how much meat a broadhead would destroy or if one should even use a broadhead on a turkey. When you body shoot them do you tend to ruin a significant amount of meat?

I am looking forward to my new property I'm moving into April 15th. My father just went up there to meet with the inspector and heard turkeys all around the property. I am planning on doing some hunting with my marauder and Brocock compatto in 177. I don't like ghillie suits much but I do like the ponchos and blankets. I might incorporate that into my system. I have never stalked turkey or tried still hunting them but it sounds fun now that you mention how you did it. 

Ezana,

I'm the Redwood Empire and on a dairy farm. Coastal foothills. I have a .45 Sam Yang Light Hunter that shoots air bolts wonderfully, but it is not legal in CA to use an air driven device to launch an arrow at game. Besides, I would only default to using an arrow (out of airgun) for turkey if using a regular bullet was illegal. It's certainly steps up the challenge and I get that part, but it's not more effective. The arrow has the killing power, sure, but I like the flexibility of bullets and the ability to make pinpoint accurate shots at all ranges.