On the board for CA turkey 2024

On the second time out this year, Steve O and I closed the deal on a turkey. We're still trying like heck for the goal of both of us getting a bird on the same morning for a photo op, but through a comedy of errors from misfiring guns, spooking birds, wounded ones getting away, you name it, we haven't been able to pull that one off. Oh, so close, yet so far, lol.

Steve O in his graciousness insisted that I take the first opportunity. I'd like to think it was just great friendship, generosity, and sportsmanship, but in reality I think there might have been a little bit of "please don't hit the ball to me, please don't hit the ball to me" mixed in there too. He had a rough opener which left some doubt in weapon choice for this weekend, so I didn't mind taking some of the 'pressure' off.

Conveniently, one of the best turkey spots is right by the access road. Birds are regularly strutting around the slopes between there and the adjacent stream about 150 yards away. This morning was no exception as we could see two toms working some hens back and forth. I got into position and let a shot go from about 75 yards away. The sickening half-dead 'plop' of a bullet hitting 3' low was disheartening. My Texan has been doing this for a while (first shot is a wet noodle), and I figured that it cost me the bird.

Fortunately, the Texan is suppressed, and the bird didn't dash off. He DID walk over the hill, but that was parallel with where we were so I just went to the other side and waited. Sure enough, he walked over the rise at 90 yards and kept going right to left. I hate shooting at moving anything with an airgun, so I gave some half-hearted chirping noise that somehow got its attention enough to stop and look and that was all it took.

The second shot felt like it should the 110 gr. slug found it's home with a loud 'thunk' and the bird started doing backflips. Both Steve and I have seen this far too many times to know that the bird can right itself and run off at any time. Steve was ready to run and get it, but I kept watching it through the scope. It wasn't raising its head and after 30 seconds all was quiet. I still put another slug in and started making tracks just to be safe, but he was down for the count.

Not the biggest bird, but still a nice turkey and a lot of turkey breast jerky is on the way. We tried to get on a couple of other birds over the next couple of hours, but Steve O couldn't close the deal. No fault of his own; he put in a long stalk on four toms working some hens that decided to walk into a creek bed when he was within 5 minutes of being within 30 yards. And another tom walked right out as were loading up at the truck, but that was a rushed shot at a running bird.

Great morning, good exercise, and good times.

2024turkey.jpg