• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

On buying Ataman air guns in 2022

I asked the following question to Pyramid Air's support staff: "Can anyone tell me if the "Ataman M2R Carbine Stock, Black Soft Touch" store item can convert the M2R Bullpup to a carbine version? Just from my ignorant perspective, the barrel and other components aside from the stock look identical between M2R configurations. "

I got the following reply:
"It may be possible but it is not recommended. The gun would need modification and the linkage removed from the bullpup design to fit in the carbine stock. Given that these cannot be imported any longer and parts are hard to come by should something break, we do not recommend it. If you have any other questions please do let us know. We would be happy to assist." - Matthew, Customer Advocate

I'm very happy with the way Matthrew answered a fairly technical question quickly and thoroughly. What concerns me is twofold: 1) the Russian boogey man (whether aptly labeled so, or not) has likely resulted in serious limitation of imports of most Russian made equipment and 2) more specifically, repair parts for the Ataman (a Russian company) guns are in short supply.

It's interesting to see politics playing an increasingly prominent role in regulating the availability of equipment in the air gun sport. I'd come to question how long it will be before Hatsan's (Turkish) guns are restricted from import and repair parts also fall into gravely short supply. It's a matter of a single diplomatic misstep to become subject to sanctions in the current political environment. One might consider that in terms of traditional powder burning fire arms, the powder burners are so ubiquitous that repair parts will remain available far longer than for nearly any quality model of PCP air gun.

Recommendation: if you're in the market to buy new air guns stick to domestically produced or, otherwise Western manufactured equipment for the time being. While gaskets and springs can likely be easily acquired stateside once the measurements are known, more critical components like barrels and stocks and niche gaskets/springs and model-specific or machined components (e.g. aluminum magazines and maybe even some compressor parts) will probably become excessively expensive to replace for the near to mid-term and probably beyond. If you're certain you want to sell a non-Western manufactured gun (for those of us in the Western countries), now would probably be a prime time to do so and still fetch a good price.

Last edited: