• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

OMEGA CF SCUBA FAIL

Hi folks,

I Really dont know what happened, I bought it new from AOA in 2012, and always have been protected inside a neoprene sleeve, I am very careful with my stuff.

[/IMG][/URL]

Lately I realized that overnight the pressure goes down abouth 400psi so I decide to submerge the tank into the pool assuming that the leak was in the valve, but this is what I found.

In the botton of the thank there is a white stain from which leaks, immediately empty for safety and now I have a beautiful and huge paperweight :).

Thanks god don t explode and I have a 10 years old Scott.

My last time with OMEGA.

Regards,
Gladiador.

Wow Gladiador you are very lucky. The wrapping did what I is supposed to do. . . . . stop the cylinder from rupturing. It's obviously a crack or impurity in the aluminum cylinder, under the wrapping.
Omega doesn't make the cylinders, they buy them from Inocon. There is a link,
In any case, Omega should be contacted and informed of what happened. There may be more out there from the same batch of aluminum and Inocom may have to do a recall. If your very lucky, you may get a new cylinder if they do that, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

"Mr.Gadgets"Wow Gladiador you are very lucky. The wrapping did what I is supposed to do. . . . . stop the cylinder from rupturing. It's obviously a crack or impurity in the aluminum cylinder, under the wrapping.
Omega doesn't make the cylinders, they buy them from Inocon. There is a link,
In any case, Omega should be contacted and informed of what happened. There may be more out there from the same batch of aluminum and Inocom may have to do a recall. If your very lucky, you may get a new cylinder if they do that, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
Hi Gadjets,

You're right, right now I feel like a cat with seven lives.

Regards,
Gladiador.

"sharroff"Did you see my thread on the Alpha vs Diablo and Joe B's comments on acid leaching?

Hi Sharroff,

No, I did not see you thread, if you have the link I appreciate you give it to me.This tank has always been filled with an industrial Bauer compressor at a diving shop, the last 5 or six charges are made at my home with my own compressor but I use two moisture filters, one at the air entrance and another one is the Diablo.. I have inspected internally and is completely clean, only came out a little water as it empties very fast and moisture condensation but it was clean water.

I do not really care so much about the tank, material things are replaceable, I feel blessed that has not happened a tragedy, and I still keep my fingers to pull the trigger.

Regards,
Gladiador.

Something I have not mentioned is that usually I carry the tank at high altitudes, often at more than 14.000 feets and a couple of times al 16.500 feets above sea level.
Two years ago in one of my hunting trips to Los Andes, near to the 14000 feets the valve o ring jumps out of its place and the tank completely empty.

Perhaps these trips at high altitudes have weakened the materials ????? What do you think????

Regards,Gladiador.

Maybe there is an effect at high altitude but I wouldn't think so. The 4500psi tanks are pressure tested to 7500psi and that far exceeds the lower atmospheric pressure at altitude vs the 4500psi in the tank when full. 
What kind of O-ring is that? Original to the Omega or a replacement? I just acquired a used Omega tank which wouldn't pressurize. The leak was occurring at the seal where your's failed. A local scuba shop supplied a replacement that looks very similar to yours. I was told there are a couple of types depending on the tank pressures. The lower rated one is quite gummy and softer. The one I installed, rated for 4500psi, also failed to seal during filling, so I'm waiting for the correct part from AoA to arrive to see if that works. I don't think the connection at the tank is a standard scuba design.

"Corradobrit"Maybe there is an effect at high altitude but I wouldn't think so. The 4500psi tanks are pressure tested to 7500psi and that far exceeds the lower atmospheric pressure at altitude vs the 4500psi in the tank when full. 
What kind of O-ring is that? Original to the Omega or a replacement? I just acquired a used Omega tank which wouldn't pressurize. The leak was occurring at the seal where your's failed. A local scuba shop supplied a replacement that looks very similar to yours. I was told there are a couple of types depending on the tank pressures. The lower rated one is quite gummy and softer. The one I installed, rated for 4500psi, also failed to seal during filling, so I'm waiting for the correct part from AoA to arrive to see if that works. I don't think the connection at the tank is a standard scuba design.
Hi Corradobrit, The oring I put on the neck of the valve was bought by my because the original was missing in the way to South America, it seems it was too soft and as the valve had adjusted by he went over the side. Replace it with a higher hardness and stay well.
Regards.Gladiador..

"iride"I bought a small Omega tank about six months ago. The gauges failed , I had to replace the gauges at about the same price as the tank...
but if the tank fails at least I have good gauges
Mike
Hi Iride,

I had several problems with my omega tank. The first was that the air restrictor that is in the valve was blocked and the air came out at a very low pressure and could not load the weapons, this happened wen the tank have less than 1 year of use. I had to leave the tank valve open for 3 days to be emptied completely and remove the restrictor from the valve. The other problem was the manometer did not mark correctly the pressure, and it has to be replaced with one larger and filled with glycerin. And the last one is the problem I mention in this post, which leaves the tank completely unusable. Definitely my next tank will be purchased from Joe Bracato.

Regards,
Gladiador.

Hi folks. My name is Carlos, (Gladiador) and I have been around in the airguns forums for more than 10 years.Since I share with you the incident with my Omega cf tank I recive from you many sugestions to claim a garanty from the Omega company to have a replacement. I am a Portuguese citizen HOWEVER for family reasons I live here in Peru South America for over 25 years for us here is difficult to get airguns and everything related to the world of airguns , and most of the time peoples traveling to USA use to bring things to us, with of corse an extra payment.

The Omega tank was bought from a (company) who brought things from Usa to Peru charging a fee for the service, that is the reason the tank It was not purchased in my name, this (Company) who buy the tank for me no loger exist and I d ont know the name of the person who bought it. The only thing I am sure of is that it was bought in AOA in 2012, and give to me in Peru in the 27.08.2012. 

My question is, AOA will recognize a guarantee or product or a product changer since i am not the original buyer? either have the buyer ticket.

Last year I have tried to contact with AOA to buy a Cricket from them, and they put me on hold on the phone for long time and never answer the phone they never answered my emails neither, at the end I have to contact with Alvaro Lopez from SunCity Airgun and he help me to buy the Cricket from AOA, and AOA send the gun to me.

As you can see is not easy to get things for our hobby here in the end of the world , appreciate any help or direct telephone contact from AOA. 

Or if some of you have the OMEGA company contact I will be very grateful for your help.

Best regards,

Carlos De Carvalho