Omega Air Charger Rebuild

I have had my Omega Air Charger for just over a year and used it 20 times filling my bottle to 4300 psi. each time. Today I went to fill my bottle and the pressure gauge would move up but very slowly but not enough to fill. I checked all couplings to see they were tight and they were, checked the bleed valve to see if the delrin seals look okay and it was tight and then the bursts disk on top to see if they were intact. I say they as there were three discs stacked on top of each other. I went to retrieve my rebuild kit included with the purchase and immediately something fell out the bottom of the plastic bag. What I found was a tiny spring and checking the rebuild parts list I might be missing a couple of parts. Over all the parts looked sorta old ,so I might have to order another rebuild kit. All that aside has anyone did a rebuild on their Omega Charger. I just watched the rebuild AOA did and while it tried to cover all aspects I wish it showed more close-ups. So has anyone did a rebuild and how did it go and what parts looked bad. I am disappointed the Omega needs a rebuild this soon. Bill

Hello.

I have heard this many, many times. The expensive compressors for or PCP rifles are failing.

I have a Yong Heng compressor which has been working for me for about 6 months. I fill my tanks and my rifles all the time and so far it is holding.

All that I have been doing is oil changes and making sure it does not over heat. I added the extra oil and humidity absorption tubes.

I would say try a Yong Heng. buy it on Amazon with the extended warranty. 

It is under 400 dlls if it fails they will simply replace it.

Good luck 

All compressor no matter what it is will need a rebuild. Things dont last forever you know. Even a one million dollar compressor will need a rebuild. Things get worn out over time due to use. You need to learn how to fix your own compressor. Learn how to take it apart. Learn how a compressor works. What part does what. What part needed be change. Learn how to put it all back together. Record when you taking stuff apart so you know how to put them back. It may seem hard at first but once you dive into it. These compressor are easy to rebuild. 

Hi Airgun. I had one of the omega before trading and they are good compressors with GREAT service, so don't despair. Mine had a quirk that about every 30 or so fills filling my tank the check valve would get dirty and not seat quickly enough to capture pressure. Your rebuild kit has a pair of tweezers, new spring and ball. Unscrew the check valve cap, lift out the parts, clean the seat with a Qtip and put back together. Takes about 3 min and you should be good to go. Ill bet that is your problem. Should you have bigger problems you can unbolt just the head and rebuild it yourself or send it to Tod at AoA and he will make it brand new for around 100.00. Good luck. sylvan

AirgunBill I agree with kitplane as I have the same compressor check the check valve it sometimes has a carbon like build up and it won't pump up, but just in case here's a number for Todd he rebuilds the air chargers and a very good job he does 704-252-3024 and another problem I had ending up being the high pressure air filter leaking around the orings the compressor would build up to 3500 or so and just sit there but I'd check the check valve first, Todd will help you trouble shoot it also, hope this helps.

Thanks Kiplanenut and Bowhunter for staying on topic and giving some relevant insight into my potential problem. I did the basics as stated in the manual. I removed and soaked the check valve in some Ballistol and with a Q-tip cleaned the area where it seats and then finished up with some brake cleaner to remove any residue. I replace the burst discs as there were actually five stacked on each other so, I replaced them with the five in the rebuild kit and replaced the o-ring at the base of the burst nut. I then also cleaned the bleed valve area inside and out and put in the kits delrin seal. I was testing the compressor as I did these things to see if it made any difference. Then I placed a dead head in the fill hose and put the compressor under pressure to 100 bar which is about all that it will build up to and checked all potential leak areas with soapy water with no leaks seen. I will mention I had checked all connections for tightness before. Next I removed the air supply line to check the o-rings to see if they were bad but my lines don't have o-rings like in the video but instead have a metal ball end that gets pulled tight to make a seal. I cleaned those end and reassembled the line. Still the same problem. Once again my compressor is the Air Charger and looks similar to the Super Charger but without the outside cover. I can see there must be some differences as seen in the video which makes me reticent about tearing in to the unit. Also my rebuild kit did not come with tweezers of a replacement check valve. The tweezers I have but it makes me think rebuild kits vary.

Although I did not buy the unit directly from AOA my dealer got it drop shipped from them so I went on there website to see if I could buy another kit to make sure I had all the parts. I could not find the kit listed so I tried to reach them on the phone. I know its that time of year but after being on hold and then bumped to a message machine I am still waiting for a response. I really wanted to talk to a technician to go over what I had done so far and get some insight into the problem. Bill

Here is a picture of what the manual says I get in the rebuild kit

1576019450_13464870395df025fa69dd95.27413726_IMG_20191210_135627.jpg

This is what I got minus the burst discs and delrin bleed valve seal I replaced

1576019603_12763544345df0269341a786.32639964_IMG_20191210_141222.jpg

I agree with bdzjls. Get in touch with Todd. He is the tec. Knows these compressors inside and out. GREAT guy. Gives you straight answers. I assume the phone number is his cell. If not I can hunt it up for you. That way you can go directly to him and not through AOA's phone system. Your rebuild kit is different then the one I had. But my compressor was one of the first ones out. sylvan Good luck

Just finished talking with Todd and what I had done was spot on for basic checking. He had me hook-up my CF tank and pressurize the system and check for leaks again with soapy water. No leaks were found but the water cooling tank was bubbling like boiling water. We both surmised the air in the cylinder was going past the seals and into the upper cooling area to the water lines. At this point it appears the cylinder needs a rebuild. Bill

Well I went about removing pump cylinder to send off to Todd to do a rebuild. My compressor is put together somewhat differently than the one Todd's video done on AOA. I had to do some head scratching to figure out how to do the removal. One thing Todd had mentioned to me was to look and see if one of the two rubber ball was in the bottom of the crank case. Wouldn't you know there was one. At that point I figured that was the problem and rather than do a complete rebuild since my compressor is relatively new I thought I would just wipe things down, do a re-grease and put it back together. Well that seemed to do the trick. I put a dead head in the fill hose turn the compressor on and it pressured on up till it cut off. I want to thank those that gave me the advice and help I requested and not go off on things that didn't help and other B.S. Bill

Is this the stripped down, no frills version of the Omega? Please post what you find out/ do to repair. Many of us have the same unit if it is and will inevitably need the info. Sorry for your troubles.

Yes I have the no frills Omega Air Charger. AOA has a video showing the strip down of the Super Charger. Of course I did not have the outer cover to take off and instead of removing the crank via the bottom allen bolt ( that bolt would not budge) instead I had to remove the upper cross pin and lock ring. At first the cylinder sleeve did not want to come off because of the tight seals but it finally did. You will see the two rubber balls at about 4:50 min. in the video. I'm not sure how it came off unless pressure can force it down the hole it sits in. The video shows the whole rebuild process but clearer close ups would be nice. Like I said all I did was to replace the two rubber balls with new ones since my compressor only has 5 hours on it equating to about 20 fills. Bill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IylDJ1DDMSQ&t=344s&ab_channel=airgunsofarizona

The more I look at those rebuild videos for the Omega Compressors, the more convinced I am that they are actually a pretty smart piece of engineering. It looks to me like a person that is fairly handy can rebuild this unit multiple times. Having rebuilt my hand pump, it appears to me that this design is actually a large scale automated hand pump. 

I've looked at a lot of videos lately, as I have been contemplating buying a compressor for a couple of years. And obviously I have made the rounds looking at the Yong Heng, Air Venturi, Hatsan, Omega, Alpha Carette, Coltri, Daystate, and finally Bauer. I missed an Opportunity to buy a Bauer JR II the other day in excellent condition just back from service for an amazing price, still kicking my own arse for that. But I still cannot ascertain whether or not I have the skills to perform a total overhaul on a reciprocating compressor.

I could be missing something but the Omega design might actually be such that it can be rebuilt numerous times without having to replace very many hard parts. And It might be continuously rebuildable, provided that the Con-Rod has replaceable bushings.

All compressors will need maintenance from time to time, and maintenance is the only path that should in most cases, provided that the unit is of good design, will prevent catastrophic damage.

Thanks for sharing the info AigunBill, and I'm glad you got the Omega going again. I know it gives a man a definite feeling of self worth to fix something with your own hands.

AirgunBill do you have any estimate as to how many hours you have on this unit? And could you share your normal use cycle?

I only have had the unit for 13 months, had done 20 fills from approximately 3600 psi to 4350 psi which totaled about 5.5 hours of operation. It appears the only thing that had worn out or gone wrong was one of the rubber balls got out of position. Now from what I have heard from most all others with Omega compressors is that they have been going strong for 2 to 3 years long and more than 100 hours of operation. I guess mine just had that one part get out of position. Bill

Thanks for your reply AirgunBill, I have seen similar usage levels like what you mention also. I think you may have just had a unique and isolated type of failure. If those balls that came out are hard rubber, I would speak with the guy at Omega and find out what the exact diameter is supposed to be, and if they shrink or grow with a change in temperature. 

There is a guy that says that he consumes about $200.00 a month in pellets, that posted some reviews of the Omega Air Charger on Youtube. I think he's going on 3 plus years with little or only minor problems by now. He may have had a problem one time that he mentioned with a gunked up check valve that is easily accessible.

I guess I'll try and decide on something soon.

Thanks again.

Airgunshooter, Glad to hear that you are getting such good service from your Air Charger. Did you do the rebuild yourself, or send it off? If you ave time please share the details.

I'm beginning to think that this design is continuously rebuildable. My only concern is the piston/crank to con-rod relationship. If there were press fit bronze bushings or roller bearings in those components then I would just about be convinced that this is the compressor that I want to buy.
The design with a slower and longer stroke to compress air should result in greater longevity than higher rpm arrangements.

I would really be grateful if you would share your general practices that you employ while using your Omega, as you are certainly doing something right.

Thanks for the information.

OK, here's my question...how long does it normally take Todd to respond to a request for service call? I keep seeing how great his service is, but I left a message for him a week ago regarding my brand new Supercharger and haven't heard a peep out of him yet. I realize it's the holidays, etc., but I keep seeing all these rave reviews regarding his service and so far, nothing but crickets!