• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Oldy But a goodie, I think?

Been around airguns for a long while as in I am an old fart....Got a Benny Nitro XL have not been able to get out for 2 years and going to hit it Monday for some sighting and practice.

My question is are these rifles just out of their element and outdated or just not very popular?

I am unable to find many people who shoot them or have info on them?

Did a search on this forum and nothing came up, but that could be me...

I'll let you all know if I can still hit the barn.

Thanks Norm

Be carefull cocking that rifle, it will take some effort to cock it being a nitro piston and the barrel is not heavy duty. People have a tendancy to strong arm the barrel when cocking and the small dia barrel can bend. If you use just enough effort to cock the action you will be fine, but being aggressive can cause an issue. They are fun rifles to plink with, just keep aware of the light barrel.

Nitro22XL

I know what you mean, sure isn't mentioned much in the Nation. Bought one from neighbor, about a year ago for $25. He bought it in 2019 for $275, and hated it. Said trigger was terrible, hard to cock and shot all over. I cleaned barrel, adjusted trigger via YouTube video, learned "artillery hold," and found preferred pellet. (H&N Sniper Magnum 17.90 gr.) Nice shooter and packs a wallop. Bought H&N sampler pack to find other preferred pellets about the same time I began to look into PCPs. Have a couple nice FXs now, but still enjoy the Benjamin, from time to time. Guess I should drag that sampler pack out and see what gives.

WM

Thanks for the info guys and gals oops and all others. I took her out tonight let off crosman 19.o grain hollow domes, did fairly good for an old codger, thanks for the advice on the barn hit alot more from inside the place!!! Mine is a china clone I guess says made in china on the tube. 30 yards forgot how much of a beast she is to crack and load, this is definitely not your carry all day trail hunter. First round ten shot 6 inch group??? tighten the front scope screws and the forstock screw, second round 2.5 inch 5 shot group. Third round starting to shake a little from the cardio work out but cleaned it up to 1.25 inch. All on a table and jacket rest, table was a little wobbly, Sorry didn't think of taken pics of the historic event, next time.

Like everything but that trigger will have to look up the you-tube vid and see what to do. The center point scope is stiff to focus and 3 to 9 mag is very stiff, hope that will work in after time.

Very powerful airgun have a pack of sample pellets from Ben, and some from crosman, I do wonder how tight i can get her to shoot, all I need now is to name her.

Not as much fun as my 1322 custom but close.

Again all thanks.

Norm

Nitro22XL

You'll see from YouTube videos that fixing Crosman trigger basically involves removing metal post from between two metal plates, then re-installing post with a donut-style object, between plates, that makes post "fatter" in order to take up slack. Some recommend washers, some part of plastic pen, others small hobby racing car bearings. I used car bearings as are exact fit to metal post and required width. Came in two-pack from Amazon, not very expensive. There are also video suggestions to remove "lawyer" springs, named that, I believe, because people surmised company lawyers must have said trigger pull had to be very stiff. I found, with bearing installed, and "lawyer" springs gone, trigger was much easier to use, while not being some hair-trigger accident waiting to happen. Best of luck on the road ahead.

WM