Older Bauer or Alkin Compressors

I have a local dive shop that services local fire departments and when they buy a new compressor he takes the old ones and rebuilds them when he gets around to it, he probably has 8-10 of the sitting in his shop various makes models, but all are older and well used. He has Bauer's, Alkin's and maybe a few others. Just curious if anyone else has bought a similar old, very well used compressor and if it worked out or not? He said he could get one going for about $2500 and it would be a very reliable compressor. Just curious to hear from others experiences, is it worth saving the money on a used compressor on the long run. 

I know there is a ton of information and will be spending the day reading through it, just appreciate any quick thoughts.

Thanks

600 more for a brand new alkin w 3 year warranty....your choice
444.1603638485.JPG

Apparently you can also buy a Coltri MCH-6 for about $2500, or so I’ve been told. 

+1

Hi

Don't spend that money on an old compressor, for $ 2,500 you can buy a new one that will last a lifetime if you take care of it.

Regards 

Enkey

$2500 is what I paid for my MCH6 a few months ago. Configured for airgun/paintball use. Plus tax and $50 shipping (I live close to the dealer). I called them last week and they are still $2500. Very happy with it so far.

I understand repairs are pricy. Which tells me that IF you buy used it has to be priced right . $2500 isn’t priced right to my way of thinking. It’s been rumored that replacing the air dryer (which is a service item) could run $1000. I bought an Alkin W31 vertical. Really solved my issues . Others may be as good . Do your research and I’d suggest talking to the guys at Alkin 

A new Alkin from forum member/ Alkin dealer Sonny at $3100 is a bargain. A new Coltri MCH-6 for $2500 from Nuvair is also an excellent option. If I were looking at a rebuilt used compressor, I would only consider a Bauer. They have used the same design for at least the last 25 years with only minor revisions. There is a Bauer guru named Carlos Kuster in Florida on Craigslist Miami who offers good deals on rebuilt Bauers fairly often. He puts new U.S. spec motors on them and replaces any worn parts.

Alkin has upped their game with the current W31 and at $3100 it makes used compressors less attractive unless they are priced right and in excellent condition.

Just curious of anyone with an Alkin if the option to add the auto start stop and condensate drain worth the extra money?

Again thanks for the great feedback guys!

It’s only worth the money if you fill multiple tanks each fill session. If you own one tank a top off takes less than 10 minutes for the large 9 liter carbon fiber tank. You would only need to drain the moisture once at the end of a fill. There is a teapot type safety valve that dumps excess pressure when an Alkin reaches 4500 psi in case you do not manually shut it off when the tank is full. I wouldn’t pay $650 more to get these extras when a fill session takes such little time to monitor. Once a refill session begins you can set a timer for 6 minutes and come back to shut it down if you must step away. If I had a much slower filling compressor that took 30 minutes or more then these optional features might be a consideration. Even if a tank is empty you would only need one moisture dump in the middle of the fill.

Just curious of anyone with an Alkin if the option to add the auto start stop and condensate drain worth the extra money?

Again thanks for the great feedback guys!

The auto start and auto condensate drain are needed on an automated cascade system. Not needed when filling individual tanks. I relieve the pressure via the condensate drain before restarting the compressor when filling a tank, and there is no need to do it anymore often with these compressors with their relatively large moisture traps. An auto stop with an adjustable pressure cutoff might be convenient, but since these compressors fill tanks so quickly, I monitor mine and shut it off manually when the tank reaches the desired pressure.