Older ATFS Great White reconditioning

I have a GW CF tank coming up on the 10 year mark. Its acting funny when I fill the gun. The pressure gauge flies up
uncontrollably and is not giving a accurate reading. If I open and close it several times I can get a close fill using the gauge on the
gun. One problem is several of my guns don't have gauges. I'm a heavy air user. This tank has been filled hundreds of times
from my Bauer compressor. My question is should I just replace the tank and look to repair the valve or just buy a complete new
setup? I'm also wondering if anyone has found a higher quality tank and valve setup.

Thank You,
Mark

I cannot see a tank causing fluctuations so that leaves a valve problem . at least my thinking.

Same conclusion I had. The valve should be fairly easy to rebuild. Get the parts from where you bought the tank, or send just the valve back to where you bought it and have them rebuild it perhaps, if you don't feel confident taking it apart? With the valve off, that would be a good time to do an internal inspection if you have a bore scope.

Reactions: Skydivingmiami
Thanks Guys
I'm sure it isn't the tank either. Joe B uses a "slow fill" valve. My guess is thats where the problem is
and easily fixed. The question is. Is it worth doing or should the whole thing be replaced? The tank
is at the end of its life.

Modern carbon fiber tanks are designed to last 30 years and if cared for will probably still be fine in 60 years. The 15 year thing is a DOT regulation, not like the expiration date on a carton of milk. I plan to keep filling my carbon fiber tanks for at least 15 years pasts their DOT expiration date, doing a thorough internal and external inspection from time to time, if I feel the need.

If you fill it yourself, do some research and decide if you want to keep refilling it or replace it. If you decide to get rid of it, you can still get at least $100 for it as is, even once it has expired, if it is in excellent condition. Beat up SCBA tanks that are several years out of date still sell regularly on eBay for $50 to $150 or more, depending on condition.

Just be sure not to let a filling service get their hands on it if the 15 year stamped date is past or they might drill a hole in it.

Modern carbon fiber tanks are designed to last 30 years and if cared for will probably still be fine in 60 years. The 15 year thing is a DOT regulation, not like the expiration date on a carton of milk. I plan to keep filling my carbon fiber tanks for at least 15 years pasts their DOT expiration date, doing a thorough internal and external inspection from time to time, if I feel the need.

If you fill it yourself, do some research and decide if you want to keep refilling it or replace it. If you decide to get rid of it, you can still get at least $100 for it as is, even once it has expired, if it is in excellent condition. Beat up SCBA tanks that are several years out of date still sell regularly on eBay for $50 to $150 or more, depending on condition.

Just be sure not to let a filling service get their hands on it if the 15 year stamped date is past or they might drill a hole in it.
Thanks Geezerhood,
Yes I was mistaken. Looks like it is a 15 year life span. So I'll just rebuild my valve. I try to practice what I preach. I won't fill a out of date tank even though I get plenty of requests to. All of my tanks are in perfect condition so no worries there. I did look into hydrotesting CF tanks at one point and it was cost prohibitive.

Reactions: golfer70
I have a slow fill hose (micro bore) and when using it to fill a gun from my tank the tank gage jumps up because the hose prevents the pressure from equalizing without significant delay. Thus requiring the fill valve to be opened/closed numerous times.
Thank you but that hasn’t been my experience in thousands of gun fills. It usually pops the check valve open with a ping the slowly fills the cylinder to a very contrivance pressure. 180 bar before I shoot each card.

Reactions: rc4fun

Well said... As for getting parts from that joe guy I would avoid. Get them elsewhere at alot less cost. he charged me $15 for a rebuild kit for a one way check valve and I got one oring from him and he was a total jerk on the phone about it. Nope not anymore I stay far away. I ended finding the entire part new for $25. he is a rip off for sure. I thought us airgunners help each other. Ask his employees how they are treated.... :(

Reactions: RAMJET66
I have a slow fill hose (micro bore) and when using it to fill a gun from my tank the tank gage jumps up because the hose prevents the pressure from equalizing without significant delay. Thus requiring the fill valve to be opened/closed numerous times.
I’m curious what gun, or if all guns fill slow. I briefly had a Huma reg for my RTI, it had a slow fill foster fitting, which I really disliked.

And the tank itself is not bad price wise it's all the add ons that increase the price. If you decide to get a new one just get a bottle and swap everything else over. Of course fix the valve. It would be crazy if that really expensive valve Joe sells is not rebuildable.

But like everyone else stated if the bottle is well taken care of there should be no reason that it should be bad even after the DOT life.

Allen