'Old-School' Hunter Supply (AAO) Texan Suppressor

I bought a Texan .308 when they first came out. As it was my first PCP gun the learning curve was insanely steep. I learned among other things, that everyone has an opinion on what's right, wrong, what's needed, what's not, and everything in between. A good 75% of those opinions were/are from folks who claimed to be experts but a) don't even own a Texan, b) wanted to make money off of a gimmick, or c) just liked the sound of their own voice and felt the need to chime in with total bs on a given topic. 

I could list a million things that I've learned through trial and error with the .308, but that's been posted before and if anyone is interested they can always pm me and I can share some of my results. One thing that is of particular interest to me is the suppressor that I purchased way back then from Hunter Supply. It's a can-type, but instead of threading onto the barrel like newer models or requiring disassembly like some (R&L used to sell one and Neil Clague's too I believe) it slides over and clamps onto the barrel about 4" from the muzzle. My gun, without any shadow of a doubt, shoots MUCH better with the suppressor than without.

All of the experts say that a suppressor doesn't change the accuracy or groupings. We know it can change the POI because of the weight/barrel droop, but that's different and only requires an elevation adjustment. I agree that a threaded suppressor shouldn't affect the accuracy, but that HS unit definitely does. My guess is that it's related to the harmonics and since it's clamped onto the barrel via a tightened split ring/set screw (don't know the term for that type of clamp) it surely acts as a dampener of sorts. Guys add those rubber grommets (I have them too) to do the same thing. I wish my gun shot better without the suppressor (it would be much more pleasant to carry in the field) but giving up the consistency isn't worth it.

I now own a second Texan and have started to accessorize it. I wish I could still get that type of suppressor but there is nothing out there like it anymore. It was simple, economical, easy to remove, and required no threading, disassembly, or special tooling. Just a hex wrench. I'm curious if anyone knows about that particular design and if it's even made by anyone. I remember that there was scuttlebutt that AAO came up with it originally, and an Amercian vendor 'stole' the idea and ran with it. Other than that, it's disappeared like a fart in the wind. I think that particular piece was a 'magic bean' when it comes to Texans, whether intentional or not. Wish I could get my hands on something similar for my new gun.

Like always, the proof is on the paper target. Not the computer screen.

Reactions: JamesD.
That's the one. Those for sale (in Europe only it seems) are the last ones. The vendor that did the manufacturing retired and the new vendor was charging more than triple for the same model, so no more were ordered made by Hunters Supply.

I don't it's anything special for noise-reduction but the act of attaching it to a Texan .308 makes the gun much more accurate. Something to do with the mechanics of that collar (in my opinion)

Thanks for posting that site. I'd never been there but I'll check it out more.

20180402_110239.1627132390.jpg
20180402_110412.1627132449.jpg
I have the old R&L shroud on mine and you can diffenetly see a accuracy difference when I take it off R&L quite making this one also.