• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Old pump up mystery

Walking my dog a couple of months ago I came across an "estate" sale. "Estate" seemed hardly appropriate as it was on the lawn of a modest hundred-year-old bungalow. Propped against a battered table was a pump up airgun. It looked vaguely familiar, so I picked it up for examination. No identification to be seen. I cocked it intending to pump it to see if it held air, but my dog was tugging his leash. The label said $25. A quick bit of bargaining and for $20 I had it and several plastic 35mm film canisters of lead balls.

At home I put the gun aside and went on to the usual business of life. Then came corona virus, and after a couple of weeks at home I was seeking something to do beyond reading and TV. I remembered my old gun and studied my collection to see why it looked familiar. The cocking knob and receiver were almost identical to my Plainsman pump rifle. Some research online and in the Blue Book and I learned it was an Apache, made in California in the late 1940's.

The first couple of pumps took real effort, but there was no sound of escaping air, so I pulled the trigger and heard a bang. I kept pumping and firing and after about ten cycles of pump and fire the effort became more reasonable.

This is a two-caliber gun. The main barrel is .24 caliber (#4 buckshot) and screwed in from the muzzle end is a bb caliber barrel. I inserted a bb, pumped the gun twice, aimed at an old cardboard box and fired. The bb penetrated both sides of the box.

Next came a 4.4 mm lead ball. With three pumps it pierced the bottom of a metal Swedish cookie can. Out came the bb barrel and in went a lead ball which chambered with little effort. Four pumps drove it through both sides of the can and through an empty cardboard box behind. I do not own a Chrono, but this gun may make me buy one.

But here is the mystery. Are the seals in this seventy-year-old gun still sound, or did the previous owner, who I have learned died at 97 late last year have it resealed? And, if so, when, and by whom?

1587929931_14274989595ea5e34b278bb7.82088995.JPG
1587930045_16083062835ea5e3bd9af703.93308554.JPG
1587930105_6582754615ea5e3f951c581.55568646.JPG
1587930166_19290273915ea5e4364fc630.90445581.JPG

Sweet and what a great price you got on that. Well done. Hope to see how well it shoots for you. Show us some paper. On the seals, if the gun sat for a long time but was well lubricated when it was put away, you probably just needed so get those washers to soak up some of the lube. Most likely grease or moly. That rifle is in such nice condition you should consider pulling it down and doing a reseal and lube with silicone grease.

I once had one but the seals were toast. The inner barrel was .177 (mine was missing) and the larger outer barrel was .25 cal and shot #4 buckshot if I remember correctly. From what I read, they were notorious for seal failures. Some old guys grabbed it the moment it came out of the truck at a swap meet. 

If it seems healthy (and it sounds like it is) I'd enjoy it till something changes. Baker Airguns might be worth an email as to whether they work on that gun. Like any pump-up, if you can store with one or two pumps it will prolong seal life.

Cool find, especially in working condition!

PS-I sold my non-working, missing the .177 barrel rifle for $15 in 1982, so I think you stole it!