Old "Favored" .22 Caliber JSB 25.39 Monster Design - Which One?

I have some amazing targets with MRDs… and some flyer ruined targets.

I had more consistent results shooting the 18.13g in .22 cal - with a wide velocity range. (18.13s have shot great at 800fps up to 1,025 fps).

Its a big jump from 18 to 25g. I’d love to see JSB offer a 21g - similar to the H&N Baracuda at that weight. For 25g, I prefer the .25 cal JSBs - really nice, consistent pellet.
Like you I have found the .22 18gr JSB to be the most flexible pellet for speed I have ever shot...my fav pellet for sure.

I have some amazing targets with MRDs… and some flyer ruined targets.

I had more consistent results shooting the 18.13g in .22 cal - with a wide velocity range. (18.13s have shot great at 800fps up to 1,025 fps).

Its a big jump from 18 to 25g. I’d love to see JSB offer a 21g - similar to the H&N Baracuda at that weight. For 25g, I prefer the .25 cal JSBs - really nice, consistent pellet.
Try the JTS 22.07 pellets, they work great in all of my .22 barrels.

Try the JTS 22.07 pellets, they work great in all of my .22 barrels.

Thanks Scotty,

I have not seen the JTS at my regular suppliers (Trenier) yet. Glad to know that the 22g shoots well.

I never used the H&N Baracuda Match 21g for target shooting, but recently gave them a try - shooting the 30 Yard Challenge Masters target at 40 yards with an FX Dreamline PowerPup Lil Slugger. (10-ring is 1/8” and X is 2/100”).

Pretty darn good result so far… but I have usually gotten my best target results with JSB/FX/AA pellets. I’m gonna work with these H&N for a bit - see if I can tweak velocity to optimize.

IMG_3203.jpeg

Years ago I bought all kinds of .22 pellets thinking I would have to try them all.
I also bought Monsters.
But at the time my guns' power was not up to that weight. So, these Monsters just sat on the shelf — they growled, but I kept a lid on it.

Now I have a gun with more power.
So, do tell: Till what year did JSB make/sell "the good Monsters" (if Monsters can ever be considered "good")❓

Matthias

Prior to the pandemic shortages. During and afterwards have been junk.
Probably my biggest airgun regret was stocking up on junky .22 Monster RDs during that time, not knowing if/when any would ever be available again. Granted, my back supply was VERY modest compared to others that I've heard about, but still frustrating.

I've stocked up on pellets and slugs that a particular gun likes in various other situations, and never regretted it....but those dang COVID .22 MRDs are JUNK!

Reactions: Spinach
Probably my biggest airgun regret was stocking up on junky .22 Monster RDs during that time, not knowing if/when any would ever be available again. Granted, my back supply was VERY modest compared to others that I've heard about, but still frustrating.

I've stocked up on pellets and slugs that a particular gun likes in various other situations, and never regretted it....but those dang COVID .22 MRDs are JUNK!
Yep. Me too. 4k of crap.

Here is what you can try, I have seen improvement but still not there what I am expecting from the current batch of MRD's.

We know the benefits having a perfect crown at muzzle. Eliminate the blow by at separation?

Imagine what these skirt edges can do to your groups? (Forget about that dent at 6, the airblast in leade in will fix it). Grab some high power jewellery lupe and check it yourself.
What can we possibly expect from those Edges when the pellet leaves the Crown !!!!

uneven skirt.JPG

This (partial) fix is easy, but not enough to call it 100%.
Place a sheet of printer paper on a flat surface (like glass or your granite counter top) and rub the skirt for a second and very gently... you will see how much colour remained on white.

This thread has really gotten me back onto the MRD's. 👍🏼😊

Would you care to help me figure out the MRD quality change?
Here — at the thread below.

Thanks! 😊

Matthias

❌️ Thread: