• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Old Eyes

I bought a new Wolverine .177 this year with the intentions of using it for field target. Well Corona bug changed that, there have been no matches around here. So I have been shooting offhand steel. The recent chatter about Wolverines made me decide I would be sure my Wolverine was ready when people start shooting again. This rifle wears a Sightron 4-16 Big Sky. I shot off the bench For an hour getting it all dialed in. Something that bothered me is sometimes its seems a toss up in accuracy with my Huntsman. That one wears a Sightron 6-24 Big Sky. I decide to get it out and compare sight picture out to 55 yards. I start thinking the reason the Huntsman has an edge because of scope. I contemplate switching scopes but can’t do it. Then I remember I have a Air Arms with a 6-24 Big Sky but it is not a mil dot but a fine crosshair but I think I will get this out and play with that scope. I wasn’t satisfied with that one and remember I have some small bores with Leupold 6-24 EFR scopes. I get those out. After all said I spent a couple three hours shooting . I realize my eyes are killing me, my neck is killing me and I feel like I have been at the carnival. It just got worse from there and I called it quits. When I was younger I shoot well, not trying to brag at all, but my vision was very good. Now I wear progressive bifocals and can’t see to good. 

All of that story to ask if others have this trouble. Would single vision glasses be more forgiving? I couldn’t read with them. I find myself shooting my Crosman pistol with a red dot more all the time because scopes woes. I figure this forum has a bunch of old timers Am I the only one that this trouble. How have you overcome this or is it just another thing that I must except. Oh something I haven’t mentioned is with higher magnification, it seems to be worse. Especially with more inexpensive glass. 

Me old too, LOL. I have gone so far as having a shooting pair of glasses made. Look through a scope and your most likely not in the optical center of the glasses. Look through the scope glasses on then put a mark on the glasses where your looking in the scope. Have glasses made with the optical center there. Also this may get you away from the bifocal area or omit the bifocal on the shooting glasses, or omit the mid distance and have just the byfocal for scope settings and reading distance, that would make them cheaper. Just an after thought, wonder if coloring the glass for hy-definition would be advantageous, have not done this.

Reminds me of when I took my last vision test. Doc says "read the lowest line on the chart that you can see clearly."

I say, "What chart?"

He says, "The chart on the wall!"

I say, "What wall?"

Oh yes ... I feel your pain … know the feeling well.

BTW, when was the last time you had a real sight test? Do you possibly have diabetes, that can lead to blindness and pressure buildup in the eye.

I know that I need a new prescription, I just keep putting it off. The only scope that I have right now where I can get a REAL CLEAR picture is my trusty ole Hawke 8-32x56.

Yeah, growing old (I'll be 70 next month) ain't quite what it is cracked up to be and sometimes we have to make adjustments, but shooting is just too much fun to not find out what the problem is and getting it corrected.

Stay Chilly

Shalom

John

1591465143_6351568185edbd4b72d7236.79712202.png

People are different, but I gave up on progressives a long time ago and moved to good old trifocals. At any given distance progressives have a sweet spot, and if you shift out of that sweet spot the correction isn't right for that distance and you get eye strain and headaches. Whithin any section of a bifocal or trifocal the prescription is the same and I find them more forgiving. It also may help to keep the top of the midvision section a little lower than usual to give a broader area for distance vision, which is the section you would be using with a scope. Although you are probably looking through the top of your glasses anyway with a scope.

The ideal solution would be the special shooting glasses that let you position the lens high and tilted so you are looking straight through the lens with your head down on the stock. But I am farsighted and would still need at least a bifocal to be able to see close. I never heard of anyone doing that, but I suppose it could be done. For pistol shooting I use a pair of +1 flip down magnifiers from Champion's Choice.

Thanks for all the reply's. Does it seem to be worse with higher magnification for you guys also? I have a couple older Leuphold 3-9 EFR scopes on some rimfire. I am going to get one of those out and see if its as bad. my prescription is only 6-8 months old. I think its good. I have hade this same problem for a couple years. I do have a pair of single vision safety glasses. I will try those also.

Don't mean to be anyone's Ophthalmologist here but you're handicapping yourselves by shooting without wearing corrective eye wear. When that ocular is cranked all the way in just to see the reticle clearly in the feeble attempt to compensate for astigmatism you are effectively shrinking your perceived field of view through the scope. Yo!