Daisy Old Daisy 880 safety

Have old 1981 daisy 880 that I'm trying to restore. Didn't have a safety. Ordered daisy safety button kit with ball and spring but doesn't seem to work. If I put the spring in the trigger guard, the safety will slide but then the ball will push up into the hole in the safety and then just bend the spring when I try to move it back. I'm thinking this can't be original design. Also doesn't clear the firing piece that it is supposed to engage. Hope that all makes sense. Please let me know if anyone can tell me if design has changed and are old buttons out there. Thanks.

20240307_100935.jpg

20240307_102922.jpg

20240307_101058.jpg

20240307_101130.jpg

Is your 880 a newer one? No way that would work on mine. I have hole in trigger guard. Put the spring in the safety and slide it over and the ball would drop into trigger guard. Put spring in trigger guard, I think this was the way it was originally on my gun. Then when you slide new safety the ball and spring will extend into hole of the safety button and hang up. I think there should only be one hole. Old 880s must have had different safety button
My new button also won't clear the trigger part that it's supposed to block. My 880 is from 1981. Has to be different design.

yes bought several month ago new
okay i see they have changed the safety whereas the old one the trigger guard held the spring and ball and the new one holds the spring and ball
and now when they line up the spring falls from one hole to the other
well if the safety part would work you could fill one of the hole if not you may be out of luck
Yes, thank you makes sense. I am going to fill in the hole with some JB weld and then make a couple of indentations for the ball to hold the on or off position. The top part of the block I'm going to grind down as well. Hopefully my Dremel will do the trick.

I think mine will be a little tricky to Install because I have to place both side of the receiver without the safety popping out. I'm figuring the new design is better.