Old BSA Under Lever

So, I have this old BSA .177 single load under lever that I purchased new back in the 1980's. It doesn't have any model number or identification.
It mostly sat in my gun safe for years. It still cocks and shoots fine. It weighs in at 8lbs8oz, and loads via a pellet port that pivots 90 degrees to drop a pellet in then pivots in line with the barrel to shoot the pellet. It has dings and scratches to the wood from over the years, most are probably safe dings. There is no rust on any of the metal.
I am looking for any information on value etc so that I can move it on to someone who likes springers..
Any information appreciated or anyone with any interest in owning this piece let me know.

IMG_7374 (1).jpg
IMG_7374.jpg
IMG_7375.jpg
IMG_7376.jpg
IMG_7377.jpg
IMG_7378.jpg
IMG_7379.jpg
IMG_7380.jpg
IMG_7381.jpg
IMG_7382.jpg

Airsporter Stutzen

Last edited:
One of the last versions of the BSA Mk1 Airsporter that came out in 1948. The last version is the RB2 rotating breech. The Airsporter was the first BSA airgun manufactured after WW2. The factory leveled during 1939 Battle of Britain. BSA were manufacturing the Lee Enfield. 303 British.
Mk1 1948, Mk2 1959, and RB2 Stutzen
IMG_1496-1.jpg

All follow the Lincoln Jeffries underlever tap loader first manufactured by BSA 1905
IMG_1639.jpg

revised-head-component-gladys-50d4e5a8.jpg

Reactions: Rudolph Hucker
The BSA Stutzens are very cool. I've owned a couple, and actually sold new ones (and other BSA models) in the 1980s.

Being absolutely SMITTEN with mannlicher rifle stocks back then, I loved my .22 Stutzen immensely. Put thousands of rounds through it (mostly offhand) in hopes of kicking some butt in NRA Silhouette competition; however, the reality is that vintage of BSA springers are not up to that task.

However I did use it for one of the most memorable hunts of my life. In a couple hours of squirrel hunting I took 9 squirrels with 11 offhand shots from 20-50 yards, eight of which were (purposeful) brain shots. In retrospect I feel that performance was almost superhuman, and certainly with that rifle.

Reactions: MDriskill
A little searching and found this:

That said, the one I have is not unfired, new in box!!!!1
Interesting but a Stutzen is not a Challenger.
The Challenger was the last incarnation of the BSA Mercury.
The best of the Mercury line. Save for that ridiculously idiotic Maxi grip 14 mm scope rail.
Yeah, I have about 9 different Airsporters and about 4 different Mercurys.
Over 30 BSA prewars.
I chuckle inside every time I see one sell for big $.

Interesting but a Stutzen is not a Challenger.
The Challenger was the last incarnation of the BSA Mercury.
The best of the Mercury line. Save for that ridiculously idiotic Maxi grip 14 mm scope rail.
Yeah, I have about 9 different Airsporters and about 4 different Mercurys.
Over 30 BSA prewars.
I chuckle inside every time I see one sell for big $.
Can you tell me the difference between the Challenger, Mercury and Airsporters? and approximate values of each?
I thought "Stutzen" was just a wood stock term, or is it a model?

You can find the differences on the web about as fast as I could hunt and peck (type)and think and you'll learn more than I know. I'm not fast or slow. I'm half fast. WCIS?
I'd say Stutzen is both a stock type and can be considered a model as well. BSA, Diana, and Gamo made Stutzen models. I have 2 Gamo Stutzens too. Never cared for the long split stock on the Diana. Diana had 2 Stutzen variants.
Vintage Airgun Gallery is most helpful. Thank Danny Garvin. You can spend a week there. Really
Check auction site sold lists for prices or find somebody with an Airgun Bluebook.
Your gun is probably worth 300 some or more depending on who bids today. $400? More?. Condition is everything. Minty would be very desirable. Probably due for a rebuild and they're a bugger to work on. Not for beginners. Airsporters of your vintag use an O ring seal with a buffer washer that should be swelling up and getting gooey about now. If left too long after that they can be real hard to withdraw the piston from it's bore. All this IF you can manage to get the bastard (dreaded?) Maxi grip rail off and unthread the back block off without it going airborn! Great care must be exerted to remove my favorite dovetail rail and replace it. The black rubber gasket 'neath it is not available anywhere as far as I know so you best not damage that! Oh YES! BSA's are lovely.

All was needed to strip the prewar BSA's was a proper fitting straight blade screwdriver and you can have it in pieces in minutes. You need a big long one to remove the stock bolt if you want to separate the stock from the trigger block.

Last edited:
Reactions: tnbndr