Oklahoma Elementary air rifle rifle team wins Nationals in Missouri

The Chouteau Oklahoma Elementary class took first place at the Nationals while the middle school took second place in their first year of air rifle.

No wonder some of you Okies shoot so well ! You start teaching em young !
These children were competing in Missouri, is their school in Oklahoma? Yes, this is an awesome story!! The girls look excited. This could be a part of the next generation of airgun shooting sports competitors. Maybe a future olympian will be spawned from a program like this.

Edit: It looks like the elementary school may be in Kansas City, Missouri.

Last edited:
Reactions: aaroncr
These children were competing in Missouri, is their school in Oklahoma? Yes, this is an awesome story!! The girls look excited. This could be a part of the next generation of airgun shooting sports competitors. Maybe a future olympian will be spawned from a program like this.

CHOUTEAU, Okla. - was right below the pic , Tulsa station reporting ? Maybe I'm wrong ? I'm sure Mr. Cole will let us know .

The school that won is in Oklahoma, not far from where I live.
Pronounced: show-tow.
Population: 2000.

Same here @Bngen3. I live in Crystal City, same border as Festus, and had no idea this was going on. My Sgt at work tried to get me to take over the airgun coaching at R-7 School down in lower Festus when he was getting out. Sounded like a full time job and didn't want to take on 2 jobs with a 7 y/o at home. They won one of the regional competitions when they were doing them virtually last year.

Same here @Bngen3. I live in Crystal City, same border as Festus, and had no idea this was going on. My Sgt at work tried to get me to take over the airgun coaching at R-7 School down in lower Festus when he was getting out. Sounded like a full time job and didn't want to take on 2 jobs with a 7 y/o at home. They won one of the regional competitions when they were doing them virtually last year.
Howdy neighbor, my mom retired from R7 right at beginning of Covid. Parents had a house in Crystal City right next to Crystal City park. Dad got tired of all the kids so we moved to Bloomsdale when I was 4 and I grew up having creeks and 100+ acres of woods as my playground.

Reactions: Joedirt199
Believe it or not there are high school rifle teams still left (I know the article is about an Elementary school team). Mainly supported by JROTC programs in schools and the CMP. My daughter shot for the Granbury HS MCJROTC precision rifle team in HS and now shoots NCAA rifle in college. It’s a wonderful sport that, most people will be surprised, is dominated by girls.

How many teams and from what other states were competing?
Just the one state?
The reason I ask is because in 2014 at our air gun club in Bay Point (Concord), CA I was the 1st runner up in Hunter Spring Piston Hunter Field Target.
In 2015 I was the Club Champion in that category.
Of course, I was the only one shooting in that category that year…:ROFLMAO:

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Reactions: aaroncr