Okay so.. its a big mess! How do you organize all your Airgun support?

When I just started it was no big deal. Grab a couple screwdrivers, Allen wrenches maybe the calibers from the big tool box. Toss in a big bag, drag to the range, drag back home. But it's getting harder to find things and frankly it is looking like Stanford and Son's place. But maybe more messy. 

Screenshot-006704.1648357809.jpg

How do you organize your stuff and keep track of it? I was thinking some type of organizer. Maybe a modular system so I can just take one box here with tools, that box there with the stapler, spotting Scope and another box with my selection of ammo in the caliber I need. I just have some dewalt bags but once I get to the range I have a hell of a time finding things. And once I get home I have to put everything away. There's gotta be a better way to organize and lug this stuff. Has anybody used the milwaukee packout system or Dewalt's comparable system?

g8f2354qwx271.1648358277.jpg

Maybe not this extreme but Maybe I can hang this stuff up mark everything and pull down just what I need for the range?

MIlwaukee-Tool-PACKOUT.1648358333.jpeg

Dunno, what do you guys do?

Thanks

Allen

I figured that I don't need another airgun, (yet!) But better organization may help me get the ones I have shooting the way I want them to, and in a efficient matter. Then again if you have a good idea to help me sort my mess up, I may at least get a really nice scope instead! 😁 I'd probably find the boxes off of 'offer up' or something anyhow. 

Allen

While I’m a big fan of the Milwaukee boxes for camping but for other uses they do have their limitations. Mainly cost, weight and relatively small amount of storage space due to thick side walls. Let’s face it, airgun stuff doesn’t need to be that heavy duty……granted my camping utensils don’t need that strength either but the ability to locked in stacked position is why I bought mine. 

For airgun gun stuff at home I would spend that money on a set of good quality wall mounted cabinets. I have that for my garage and it’s super nice and versatile. then the cabinets can have the doors open so you can see everything in there as supposed to opening up all the heavy Milwaukee boxes trying to find something small, our memories aren’t getting any better. Plus all the red Milwaukee boxes might attract unwanted attention.

For dragging things to the range a small/medium luggage on wheels might work. I don’t bring that much with me so I just have my air tank and a small bag, very light and easy to transport. 

I find I can put everything I need for airgunning and shooting in general in this smallish Range Bag from Wally World.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/NcStar-Range-Bag-Small-Black/934340414

My Beta Shooting Chrony folds up and fits just fine

A couple of flashlights for the chrony for inside or night use

Ear protection a couple of pair of ear muffs and a bunch of ear plugs

Eye Protection

A largish binocular type of laser range finder from yesteryear.

Stapler and box of staples

Co2 carts

Windmeter

Scope leveler

Some magazines for my Crosman and Ruger .22 guns

Oils and cleaning supplies

A few pill bottles with various pellets in case I forget to bring any.

And last but not least a zippered tool bag with Allen wrenches standard and metric, crescent wrench, pliers, screwdrivers, razor knife and misc bits and pieces

For spare parts and the rest of the airgun stuff I have a storage shelf, I got from Costco, like this. Lots of plastic organizer cases and drawers on the shelves,

https://www.shopyourway.com/maxi-rack-72-steel-and-particleboard-5-shelf-storage-rack/164725

Barrels, grips, scope rings, regulators and misc AR parts go in a couple of, 70s style wood, three drawer filing cabinets stacked next to the shelving.

I to use a range bag which contains a small cleaning kit and a set of Wheeler gunsmith tools that stay in the bag. 

Instead of spending a bunch of money on boxes why not set up a range bag or box with the equipment needed so your not always looking for stuff? Buy a stapler for the bag or better yet dump the stapler for some blue painters tape. Purchase a small set of gunsmithing tools, your guns will appreciate it.

at first glance i thought you took a picture of my basement ,but who is that guy ? I have learned the hard way that it really pays to have dedicated tools and stapler And tape for my range bag . Way too many times i have forgot something at home and needed it to the point that i had to cancel that range day 

OK once i admit it was the ammo .

Reactions: LONESTAR .25
You might want to consider a fishing tackle box. I have two that I use just for the airguns. One is a very large one where I put the majority of my tools and parts, including but not limited to regs, valves, lights, pic rails, Allen wrenches, screw drivers, pliers, pellet gauge, calipers and etc. Then i have a smaller soft case similar to a range bag that I use when out and about. The great thing about tackle boxes is they come inn a huge range of sized with different forms of storage so the possibilities are quite endless. For the rest of my stuff at home I have a few steal ammo cases for different calibers of ammo that are labeled on the outside and a shelf with a few of the plastic totes to put larger items like scope boxes, targets, extra stocks or things i want to store for a little longer period of time.

Hmmm so looking at the system and your comments (thank you) I looked into the weight aspects of the packout system. They are on the heavy side. Just for the 3 drawer unit it like 20 lbs empty. 

The dewalt old tstak system is about 2/3s the weight still a bit heavy but both stackable so can be taken down to put in car ot dragged to yard. The old tstak is also can be had for about 1/3 of the cost of the packout. No, it's not as Versatile as the packout system but Is a bit more affordable.

Also looking at maybe a medium tackle box if the above does not workout. 

Thanks

Allen

Healthservices, I was in the same boat as you. I used to toss the stuff I would need into plastic bags and of course when I got to the range I would realize that I still managed to forget something. One day I got back from the range and instead of putting the stuff I took with me away I just dumped it all into a corner an put it into this tool box and range bag.

The tool box has a good screw driver set along with the other stuff. Each item has a space cut out for it in the foam. The green bag has my hearing protection (for powder burners), staple gun, ammo, and some other odds and ends. Every thing I need for the day.
1648404245514636219142.1648404291.jpg
1648404342023-1433704668.1648404365.jpg

The rigid unit looks nice and tidy. 👍 I'm going to stay away from metal boxes. Too easy to scratch up the back of a nice car or worse scratch someone else's nice car while toting it in. I think I will put my stuff in the corner and go thru it to see what I actually use when I'm at the range vs. the items that are just incase I need it. Maybe make a run to harbor freight as well. Funny I never thought to bring a brush and rod to the range. Although I have double loaded more than once and was able to get the slugs out. 

Thanks for the ideas. 

Allen 

I use the MTM 50 Cal, plastic ammo boxes that come in a carrier. I have one with 3 ammo cans within the carrier. They also sell a 4 and a 5 ammo can set. They are not much money and can do what you are asking....grab a container with 'XXX' and go.

I have pellets in the center ammo can so the system is balance weighted, tools, cleaning gear, chrony, etc in one end and magazines, extra air bottle and targets in the last one.

Been contemplating getting the 5 box too. With the 'system' though, it's pretty handy to just use one for .22 and another for .25 and just swapping out the tool ammo can between them.

MTM has a bunch of crates too. All made in good ol' USA!

MTM 3-Can Ammo Crate by Case-Gard - AC4C Plastic 30 caliber ammo crates (mtmcase-gard.com)

mike

I went to the local home depot to take a look at some of the connectable tool boxes available and saw this...

Screenshot_20220328-192254_Chrome.1648530704.jpg

It opens to this...

Screenshot_20220328-192301_Chrome.1648530734.jpg

And can be stacked on this...

Screenshot_20220328-192446_Chrome.1648530770.jpg

Which can open to this...

Screenshot_20220328-192502_Chrome.1648530830.jpg

For larger items you can have this style in the stack or even a regular larger base.

Screenshot_20220328-192633_Chrome.1648530911.jpg

The thing I like but have not been able to find is this bottom unit to make everything manageable.

Screenshot_20220328-220537_Chrome.1648530974.jpg

I dont like the hand truck box. Pretty much can get all this for hopefully $120 and just take what i need to the range. Unfortunately I'm not sure about the rolling base and if it can even be found. 🙄

Screenshot_20220328-222054_Chrome.1648531328.jpg

Allen