• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Ok who wants to tell me what my first pcp should be !!

i own many spring guns .. My finest being a lightly modded Benjamin trail np xL 1500 in 177
i want to go .22 for certain .. My mind is made up on that. 
I already have two scuba tanks at my disposal .. I think there good for like 500 bar .. Not sure 
anyway I want accuracy over shots fired per fill and I'd like to be able to take down a fisher cat with a lousy nighttime body shot at under 30' but maybe up to 100' 
i hope you all can help as my father 64 thinks I should stay spring piston and buy a hw97 beeman. 
I just can't see spending $800 on a nice gun when I already have a nice and hard to shoot springer lol 
regards and thanks 
Dave

I think for the price and ease of tuning, everyone should consider a .25 marauder as their first PCP. I know you said .22, however the barrels are considered less accurate. there's so much information in this section(using the search) if you buy any PCP from FX, Daystate, Kalibr, RAW, to name a few, we've seen these rifles can put lead where we want it over and over, just depends if you can take the plunge on a expensive piece of equipment.

Does your budget include the cost for a charging kit for your scuba tanks? That will cost approximately $150 and should come with the appropriate adapter, pressure gauge, bleed valve, and hose. How about pellets suitable for hunting? One tin of .22 pellets with shipping comes to $20. Then you will need to get the tank filled so add $8-10 for the first fill at your local dive shop. Lastly, most PCP rifle require a scope and rings. The least expensive scope with rings will run around $30 plus shipping. However, you should avoid the cheapest available scope as they are simply junk. A low end scope with rings will realistically cost at least $75-100.

I will let you do the math but essentially, you need do consider what you will have left over after budgeting for the various items above first and then you will have a better picture of what rifles fall within your budget.

You should go to Pyramyd Air's website and check out the various rifle packages they offer.

Scott

Reactions: NMshooter
"blackdiesel"I think the best hunting rifle in 22 cal is the Sumatra. You can dial it for 25 FPE up to 70+ FPE depending on how heavy the pellets used. Plus it's very accurate. So it can replicate 22 cals all the way to 30 cals.
In addition, the Sumatra has iron sites so a scope is not essential. Good recommendation @blackdiesel.

Thanks guys .. I am leaning toward the hatsan 65. It seems nice and I like the way it looks .. I am concerned about noise. Is the pt 65 able to adjust for velocity ? How loud would it be at its quietest and its loudest ? 
And does anyone know about how accurate it would be at say 50 yards. 
As far as scopes go I do have a bushnell 4.5-18x42 side focus AO and the rings are off my center point for a weaver / picatinny rail .. I'm thinking this will be sufficient to hunt or target practice 
the key here is accuracy power and a gun that isn't all to pellet choosy that's quiet 
thanks for all the help this far guys 

I have to recommend the new Gamo Coyote. I took my .177 to the range yesterday and it just blew me away. I got 60-I'll say that again, SIXTY consistent shots with less than a 30FPS extreme spread. At 50 yds it was printing 3/8"-3/4" groups with any heavy pellet I put in it. It's also pretty powerful-19 ft. lbs in .177 so the .22 should be more than adequate for hunting.

And, unlike the Marauder, the BSA barrels that are used for these guns are consistent.

Airgundepot has them on sale now with a BSA 4-16 scope for $579.

I'll be posting a write-up soon with pics, shot strings and targets.

Good Luck,
Nico

In no particular order:
.25 Benjamin Marauder
.22 Benjamin Marauder Pistol
Hatsan BT65
Hatsan AT44 QE
Sumatra (based on BlackDiesel's repeated recommendation on threads like this)
BSA Buccaneer/Gamo Coyote

These are all good options to start with, though my only personal experience is with the .25 Marauder. I can tell you the Marauder is easy to work on, accurate, and quiet, it isn't sexy looking but it gets the job done. I believe the rest in the list have similar accuracy. The Hatsans are probably about the same volume as the Marauder. The Buccaneer/Coyote has been reported to be loud unless you install a moderator. In the end, I don't think you can make a bad decision from that group. You just need to figure out what you really want and need. The things that they'll all require that you may or may not already have is a scope, HPA pump and/or tank. If you are using a tank make sure that it is 1) high enough capacity and pressure 2) inspected, tested and cleared for use 3) you have a method or source to refill it.

"Dadaudio"Thanks guys .. I am leaning toward the hatsan 65. It seems nice and I like the way it looks .. I am concerned about noise. Is the pt 65 able to adjust for velocity ? How loud would it be at its quietest and its loudest ? 
And does anyone know about how accurate it would be at say 50 yards. 

With the BT65 you can pretty much go as mild or wild as you wish, you can add a regulator and a LDC.

@ 50 yards the BT65 would be a laser.