OK - so I just bought a yong heng

My main concern would be complete failure of the water pump, not necessarily insufficient volume. I have my setup arranged so that return flow is visible-the line empties just above reservoir level so that I can see that water is flowing with a glance. Others have posted links to in line flow indicators. Anything to make sure water is flowing. A better quality pump MIGHT be less likely to fail but then again anything can fail so why not have some visible indicator of flow? The thing that I've noticed creating the largest drop in temperature while running has been a good fan blowing across the heads.

Picked it up here I believe, bought the mixed filter material one, you can change the type of filter later if you wish. I purge the compressor every five minutes or so and replace the tiny Yong Heng filter every 20 minutes, of run time, and have not had to change the large gold filter in the year I have been using it. I set the, usually damp, Yong Heng filter aside to dry out and use it again on my next replacement. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32891898253.html?spm=2114.search0302.3.22.73bf4d651eTT1W&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_0,searchweb201603_0,ppcSwitch_0&algo_pvid=8375f759-0fb0-4701-af64-8ba97d00a4d5&algo_expid=8375f759-0fb0-4701-af64-8ba97d00a4d5-3

Picked it up here I believe https://www.aliexpress.com/popular/pcp-air-filter.html  you can change the type of filter later if you wish. I purge the compressor every five minutes or so and replace the tiny Yong Heng filter every 20 minutes, of run time, and have not had to change the large gold filter in the year I have been using it. I set the, usually damp, Yong Heng filter aside to dry out and use it again on my next replacement.

Similar here. The cotton filter can be dried and reused. Purging at about 5 minutes seems to usually remove a noticeable amount of moisture.

Just to clear things up the Ryobi pump isn't any bigger or have more water flow just more reliable than the one that came with (my) unit. 2 years and never over heated. I also used #30 weight non detergent motor oil ISO 100 as recommended and ran my unit without cuting it off untill my 106 cu/ft tank was toped off 30-40 minutes. It still runs I just desided to upgrade to an Alkin. It cost a bit more but Hey, I'm loving it. 6 minutes to accomplish the same thing without the worries, time or hassle.
1588764828_8205861305eb2a09c612e41.04047785.JPG

1588764755_8489495285eb2a053451624.00239344.JPG

You may think I’m nuts, but increasing the water flow rate is counterproductive. In order for the heat to transfer from the compressor to the water, it has to flow slowly enough for that to happen. It’s like putting your finger on the stove. Do it fast and you won’t feel it. Do it slow and..YEOW!

I don't think you are nuts because you are correct to a point. Too slow and the opposite happens. Years ago I had a car and decided to take out the thermostat to make it run cooler in the summer. Bad idea as it immediately over heated. My auto shop teacher explained that the water was passing through the block too quickly that the heat wasn't given ample time to transfer.

Increasing flow rate does increase heat transfer to the coolant. An increased flow rate lowers the average temperature of the coolant. Heat transfer rate is proportional to the temperature difference between the pump an the average temperature of the coolant. We kind of know this already since most folks use ice water instead of room temperature water to cool the pump. Pumping the coolant through fast lowers the average temperature of the coolant thus increasing the heat transfer rate. Increasing the flow rate on my old Yong Heng setup did improve cooling but it also heated my water reservoir faster. I used a pump off of amazon that pushed water through my Yong Heng noticeably faster but very inefficiently due to flow restrictions.

I also recently bought yong heng and pretty impressed with it . My take away is do whatever you can for thermal management or cooling it down. I have a 5 gallon bucket and then strong fan and then add ice to the bucket. My tank is 75cuf so not huge and it can top it off in just one 5-6 minute run time, a little noisy but very quick. The pump that came with it is more than good enough, ICE and fan is absolutely the key to keep it running cool. Without ice the compressor can warm up 5 gallons of water in 3-4 minutes and then compressor temp will go straight up. 

when it comes to oil any hydronic based oil would work such as hydronic oil, compressor oil or transmission oil. Transmission oil is hydronic oil with tons of detergent so it actually works quite well and widely used by many. I used transmission oil in a pinch because everything was shipping crazy slow and the compressor sounds nice and happy. Have royal purple on the shelf when I need to change the oil. 

That is not the way it works. The faster the flow the better the cooling. That is a fact of physics. Faster water allows a much greater amounts of heat to be transferred because the difference in temperature between the heat source and the water is greater. It is hard to explain but because you can feel the heat in the slower water doesn’t mean more heat is being removed. It just means that slow water has more time to heat up and the more it heats up the less efficient the heat transfer.