• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

OK seller, bad packager, shipment delayed. What would you do? UPDATED 6/30/21

Long story. Bought a gun from a guy, and paid for it. Took him like 3 days to ship, so the payment has completely cleared. He sends me a picture from a UPS Store. He's shipping the gun with 2 scopes (one mounted on the gun), moderator, magazines, an extra barrel and an extra scope and projectiles in a large plastic rifle case, with 4 latches, the two end ones have a hole for a padlock. Tells me the UPS Store said they don't have a box big enough for it, so he went to Harbor Freight and bought a padlock, and he messages me the padlock code to open it. He put a padlock on only the left padlock hole. The right one has nothing. That is how he attempted to ship it. No cardboard or wrapping paper of any kind. This could have been helped with a 15 cent heavy duty zip tie on the right side, trim the end, and tape over it and around the case, and there could have at least been a wrap of tape over each latch going completely around the case.

As we all know, on some bulky items, you may have to MAKE a box. Back to the story. On the shipping estimate, it says "Repackaging suggested, customer declined" I get the tracking number yesterday, it finally shows that UPS has it, and it says "Package Delayed". My guess they are returning the package back to the sender for better packaging. 

Have you ever had something like this happen?, and if not, how would you handle a situation like this?

I had someone ship me a2k gun in a hard case without a single zip tie, etc. I was glad UPS added ONE zip tie around the handle because 2 of 4 clasps broke off. Guy bought insurance but buying/making a box would have been the better way to go.

General rule should always be "Ship them the way you would want to receive them"

Sorry you are having such issues with your seller / the transaction.

This is my experience from working part time at a UPS store. There were times the customer brought in a gun case to ship. No idea if anything was inside but you can guess by the weight. We were not allowed to open any packages. They didn't want to pay the price for us to make a box. The option we gave them was we would heavily shrink wrap the case and put the label on it. We never had one delayed, or sent back for improved packing and never had a claim filed for damage

I am a daily UPS pickup, I can package almost anything. I was appalled when I saw how he tried to ship the gun. I did have pictures of the gun before purchase. It WAS in good shape, but questionable it will arrive with all contents that way. The package was insured for $2000. I could not believe a UPS Store even accepted it for shipment that way. They should not have "suggested" repackaging, but required it before acceptance into the shipping stream.

I love stretch wrap, zip ties, and that woven bag stuff that seed bags are made out of. I was just wondering if I was being a hardass about this. At this point, all I can do is hope UPS does or makes the shipper do something and hope for the best.

Screenshot 2021-06-25 at 9.52.04 AM.1624636417.png

I am a daily UPS pickup, I can package almost anything. I was appalled when I saw how he tried to ship the gun. I did have pictures of the gun before purchase. It WAS in good shape, but questionable it will arrive with all contents that way. The package was insured for $2000. I could not believe a UPS Store even accepted it for shipment that way. They should not have "suggested" repackaging, but required it before acceptance into the shipping stream.

I am hoping that the seller was informed and honest about the gun, but just lacked the background or skills to package an 'unusual' item.

Best of luck to you that you get the gun in good shape. Regarding UPS insurance, I have ~read~ (and the free information we get off the 'net is worth every penny you pay for it) that UPS has tended to dodge damage claims if the item was not packaged by an 'Authorized UPS Shipper.' 

Fortunately I have never had an incoming or outgoing gun lost or damaged - only a couple had a little delivery delay (but those were shipped via USPS). Knock on wood. But I also take the extra effort to pack things safely for transport. I tend to overdo it but heck, it is not a business for me so I don't have to economize on packing materials.

If it was an actual Pelican case I would not be worried as long as 2 locks were provided and zip ties on other hoops. Myself even with a Pelican case I still would have bubble wrapped it plus cardboard on front and back along with tapping that thing completely shut. But you know what they say “ can’t fix stupid” I hope you get your purchase in perfect condition.

I am hoping that the seller was informed and honest about the gun, but just lacked the background or skills to package an 'unusual' item.

Best of luck to you that you get the gun in good shape. Regarding UPS insurance, I have ~read~ (and the free information we get off the 'net is worth every penny you pay for it) that UPS has tended to dodge damage claims if the item was not packaged by an 'Authorized UPS Shipper.' 

Fortunately I have never had an incoming or outgoing gun lost or damaged - only a couple had a little delivery delay (but those were shipped via USPS). Knock on wood. But I also take the extra effort to pack things safely for transport. I tend to overdo it but heck, it is not a business for me so I don't have to economize on packing materials.

I do not think the seller is a bad person. I think he did lack the background on the skills to package a "unusual item". I know he has skills, as he did the custom cutouts inside the case. I talked to him on the phone for a good while. He knows about airguns, owns 3 of this model that I purchased one of. He talked at length about airguns including some of the highest end guns currently available. He mentioned names of employees at a few of biggest, well known airgun distributors. All of the above is the reason when this situation is completely over, it pains me to post negative feedback on him, but I do feel a sense of responsibility to do so to protect all the good people I've met here. I really wish there was a tactful way to help him learn about selling and shipping things. I have been in business for 21 years. I am a daily UPS pickup. In those 21 years, I have had one UPS damage claim, and the way UPS operates especially the last 5 years, a claim is best avoided at all costs. Unless a package is completely lost and not delivered, they rarely pay a claim, even if you have purchased insurance to cover their mis-handling, neglect, or employee theft.

Pelican cases can take a beating and I know they are padded inside. But the whole "everyone knows" what is being shipped is not a good thing. At least put a box around the pelican case to disguise it. Plus it adds a layer of protection if the box gets nipped or dropped, the outer layer would protect the plastic pelican case. 

I purchased many airguns on this forum, and many have shipped in either fx pelican cases or actual plano cases inside a cardboard box. I feel this this the right way it ships.

Now I've had the opposite happen as well. Where it's just thrown in a factory box without any additional protection around the airgun (bubble wrap, styrofoam) and the airgun arrived with a broken stock. I was not a happy buyer. 

Just keep a positive mindset and it will arrive in good condition!