Ok I grant you that a level can help some people shoot better,butt for the

...Here is the process I use. I place my scope in a v-block and align my "vertical" cross hair with a weighted string that I have hanging from a tree branch. I then, while keeping the cross hair plumb, install a level on my scope tube with the level bubble centered. Now I put my scope on the gun, put the gun on my bags and put a 2nd level on my receiver. Now I keep the receiver level and rotate the scope until the bubble (in the level attached to the scope) is centered. This then causes my vertical crosshair to be directly inline with my bore. Now when I hold the gun so that the scope level is indicating a level condition, there is ZERO cant. My vertical crosshair is now plumb and directly inline with the bore.

That way can work perfectly - if...

If the barrel is perfectly straight and the bore is centered, and if the receiver is perfectly in-line with the barrel, and if it's level on top, and if the dovetail is cut perfectly straight, and if the bores in the scopes rings are perfectly centered on the dovetail - then when you level the reticle to the top of the receiver, there is a good chance that the vertical reticle will intersect the bore. That's what we are ultimately trying to achieve

I prefer to bypass all the potential errors in the system. I use a mirror and line up the vertical reticle directly with the bore.

Quiqly you're back.

If the OP has the installed that level on his scope so that when it is indicating level, his horizontal cross hair is also level, can't he then use this "level" along with another level sitting his receiver to insure the scope is properly aligned with the gun? This happens to be EXACTLY how I do it. My scope is PROPERLY mounted. (My vertical axis cuts right thru the center of my bore)

Well, not exactly. Here is why. When you level the scope, you are leveling the wrong thing.

Most recticles in most scopes have some degree of cant. It's entirely possible to perfectly level your scope tube and turrets using your method while inducing more recticle cant. Rather than the meeting the objective.

You could have three levels. One on the scope tube. One on the receiver, and one on the tang of the stock......wherein one could triangulate levels. It would appear that everything is perfect and perfectly level. But if the recticle is not accounted for, what you end up with is a perfectly level scope main body while inducing more cant and doing more harm than good. I am not saying that this is what you have done. I'm merely saying that this is what you need to be aware of.

A. I.

Quigly - apparently reading is not your strong suit. If you had actually read what I typed you would see that I am "leveling" my reticle. Here is the process I use. I place my scope in a v-block and align my "vertical" cross hair with a weighted string that I have hanging from a tree branch. I then, while keeping the cross hair plumb, install a level on my scope tube with the level bubble centered. Now I put my scope on the gun, put the gun on my bags and put a 2nd level on my receiver. Now I keep the receiver level and rotate the scope until the bubble (in the level attached to the scope) is centered. This then causes my vertical crosshair to be directly inline with my bore. Now when I hold the gun so that the scope level is indicating a level condition, there is ZERO cant. My vertical crosshair is now plumb and directly inline with the bore.

I couldn't give a rast's a$$ about how the turrets or tube line up with anything, YOU added that little tidbit.

no, leveling using your reciever does not necessarily mean your reticle is perfectly in line with your bore. 

what if your scope rings sit ever so slightly off to one side or the other when mounted, or the reciever wasnt machined perfectly level? 

only way to truly see if your reticle if perfectly in line with the bore is by using the mirror method. 

ive posted it before but it bears repeating..........

get a mirror,

set it up at say 5yds,

set your scope to 10 yds (or when its focused in the mirror)

look through the scope at your reflection in the mirror (a steady gun rest helps)

rotate the scope till the lower vertical crosshair intersects the center of the barrel when the crosshairs are centered on the scope objective.

"bam" your crosshairs are now aligned with the bore
grin.gif
tighten rings making sure you stay in alignment while doing so.

then you can use a plumb line and level the crosshairs and set the level.

Quigly - apparently reading is not your strong suit. If you had actually read what I typed you would see that I am "leveling" my reticle. Here is the process I use. I place my scope in a v-block and align my "vertical" cross hair with a weighted string that I have hanging from a tree branch. I then, while keeping the cross hair plumb, install a level on my scope tube with the level bubble centered. Now I put my scope on the gun, put the gun on my bags and put a 2nd level on my receiver. Now I keep the receiver level and rotate the scope until the bubble (in the level attached to the scope) is centered. This then causes my vertical crosshair to be directly inline with my bore. Now when I hold the gun so that the scope level is indicating a level condition, there is ZERO cant. My vertical crosshair is now plumb and directly inline with the bore.

I couldn't give a rast's a$$ about how the turrets or tube line up with anything, YOU added that little tidbit.

First of all. Who is Quigly? Secondly , why the confrontational rhetoric? I do not know you. Is this pick on the new guy week?

Me, Myself, and I (Tuned Accuracy (on GTA), Shootistx and Accuracy_Incorporated)

Who do you think you're fooling?

a rast's a$$ about how the turrets or tube line up with anything, YOU added that little tidbit.

First of all. Who is Quigly? Secondly , why the confrontational rhetoric? I do not know you. Is this pick on the new guy week?

Me, Myself, and I (Tuned Accuracy (on GTA), Shootistx and Accuracy_Incorporated)

Apparently you. Are you saying that I am these names?

A.I.

a rast's a$$ about how the turrets or tube line up with anything, YOU added that little tidbit.

Apparently you. Are you saying that I am these names?

A.I.

Certainly AM - and that WASN'T me who gave you the negative (someone else knows you too), but thanks for giving me one back

ShootistX, your very first post is a picture of your Tarantula

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/rws-excalibre-tarantula/#post-431856

Same photo you posted on GTA when you went under TunedAccuracy

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=122019.msg1183878#msg1183878

Oh and thanks for the negative, it looks a little out of place however. And clearly there was no assumption involved.

I bought that gun about a month ago. The picture is not one that I took of the gun. I got a good deal on it and it is my first PCP gun.

Whatever problems you have or have had with others in the past have nothing to do with me. But thanks for the negative. And the assumptions.

A.I.

ShootistX, your very first post is a picture of your Tarantula

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/rws-excalibre-tarantula/#post-431856

Same photo you posted on GTA when you went under TunedAccuracy

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=122019.msg1183878#msg1183878

Oh and thanks for the negative, it looks a little out of place however. And clearly there was no assumption involved.

I bought that gun about a month ago. The picture is not one that I took of the gun. I got a good deal on it and it is my first PCP gun.

Whatever problems you have or have had with others in the past have nothing to do with me. But thanks for the negative. And the assumptions.

A.I.

So you ask me "Who's Quigly?" but just a month ago you bought a gun from a guy named "Quigly"? Did he not tell you his name was "Quigly".

Put the boots on guys, it's gettin deep

Wow, okay I apologize for the mistake. It’s just uncanny how your superiority complex and argumentative demeanor matches the previous owner, so I hope you can forgive me.

Is it my superiority complex or your inferiority complex? It's funny that you should lash out like you have. And then turn right around claiming someone has attempted to argue with you. Apparently defending myself from an unwarranted attack or baseless assumption is considered an argumentative demeanor. I like the way you spin this. Telling. Very Telling. At least as a new member I can see what I am dealing with. Nonetheless I will try to forgive you. It may take a while.

A.I.

So you ask me "Who's Quigly?" but just a month ago you bought a gun from a guy named "Quigly"? Did he not tell you his name was "Quigly".

I did not buy any gun from anyone named Quigly. More conspiracy theories.

A.I.

So who did you buy this from?

1548616247_9335990455c4e02371891a7.33327744_TARANTULA.jpg

I did not buy any gun from anyone named Quigly. More conspiracy theories.

A.I.

So who did you buy this from?

1548616247_9335990455c4e02371891a7.33327744_TARANTULA.jpg

Explain to me why I would tell you who I bought this gun from? While you are playing Sherlock Holmes, has the thought occurred to you that I might not want to volunteer any type of personal information to you? Exactly what demands are you making here? And what exactly is it that makes you feel that you have absolute authority to demand names? Lets say I did buy this gun from someone named Quigly. I fail to discern what concern of yours this may be? Enlighten me. Help me understand this. Does anyone here really need to explain anything to you? I bought this gun, the person I bought this gun from is not named Quigly. I do not know if he is a member here or if he is not a member here. Or any other forum. I did not ask about forums when we met and made this transaction. Now is there anything else that you need answered? Or not answered.

A.I.

Explain to me why I would tell you who I bought this gun from? While you are playing Sherlock Holmes, has the thought occurred to you that I might not want to volunteer any type of personal information to you? Exactly what demands are you making here? And what exactly is it that makes you feel that you have absolute authority to demand names? Lets say I did buy this gun from someone named Quigly. I fail to discern what concern of yours this may be? Enlighten me. Help me understand this. Does anyone here really need to explain anything to you? I bought this gun, the person I bought this gun from is not named Quigly. I do not know if he is a member here or if he is not a member here. Or any other forum. I did not ask about forums when we met and made this transaction. Now is there anything else that you need answered? Or not answered.

A.I.

I didn't DEMAND anything (again seems like the "reading" is going south) if you don't want to answer don't. The truth will be shown soon enough.

I think the vast majority understand the different between accuracy and precision. It’s just somewhat careless use of terms. 

Some times a little more time spent in explanation and a little more thinking about what we are reading leads to better understanding 

Seems like some are throwing darts at each other’s rather large ego’s With perhaps some precision but having seen no affect I’d have to question either accuracy or penetration 😬

Inferiority complex, superiority complex, split personality complex, high conflict personality complex, its just all too complex for my complex to completely comprehensively comprehend...

TunedAccuracy: " Nobody knows the difference between accuracy and precision"

Wait what? Apparently you don't know the definition of Nobody, because that would include you not knowing it either...

Precision and accuracy are synonymous, if you choose to create a complex dynamic semantically then you are likely not someone anyone should bother debating with, because you're allowed to define words as you please...

Precision:

the quality, condition, or fact of being exact and accurate.

Accuracy:

the quality or state of being correct or precise.

Its funny how each definition clearly uses the synonymous word you claim have different meanings (by your own definition)...

Inferiority complex, superiority complex, split personality complex, high conflict personality complex, its just all too complex for my complex to completely comprehensively comprehend...

TunedAccuracy: " Nobody knows the difference between accuracy and precision"

Wait what? Apparently you don't know the definition of Nobody, because that would include you not knowing it either...

Precision and accuracy are synonymous, if you choose to create a complex dynamic semantically then you are likely not someone anyone should bother debating with, because you're allowed to define words as you please...

Precision:

the quality, condition, or fact of being exact and accurate.

Accuracy:

the quality or state of being correct or precise.

Its funny how each definition clearly uses the synonymous word you claim have different meanings (by your own definition)...

And here we have yet another attack post with baseless assumptions. Of course this is all by design, to suit an ongoing PLOT where these older men, 60 and over, can dominate a forum on the internet, Leaving no room for anything but their opinions and conventional wisdom, with closed minds. In other words , once they have it in for you, Expect negative reviews.What they don't agree with, they want silenced.

In this instance , Ackuric , is 100% completely wrong. But, what he says goes. Well let me tell you this. He is wrong. He is also combative as we can see here. Yet he has chosen to DEMONSTRATE my initial assessment that no one seems to know the difference between precision, and accuracy. He has demonstrated this right here, before your very eyes for all to see. Yes , he will get mad. And yes, some of his " cohorts" will also get mad in support.

I have chosen to ignore some of his Rhetoric, so as not to become as combative as he. What we have seen here is this forum member, carve his opinion in stone. Any debate on the subject, as we see here , is met with aggression. In turn, this aggression is often spun to the favor of the many, who attack the few. This has been tried once in this thread already , by none other than Mr. Nervoustrigger. I have pretty much concluded in this, they they want a fight. That they intend to push for a fight. And when , finally, they get what they want, they will pretend to have done nothing to initiate it, and the negative reviews will rain down like a hail storm from hell.....

Now , to Mr. Ackuric. I do not mind your opinions. I do not mind if you someday correct me. In fact, if you do not agree with me, I would not fault you for such. You have indeed tried, somewhat forcefully, to correct me on the Subject : Precision vs Accuracy. I am ok with that. No harm, no foul. But I will say this ," if Carlos Hathcock were alive today and happened to see this, he would certainly laugh at you here, or in your face, in person. Much like me , he would know that your synopsis up there is incorrect and misleading. It is for that very reason that I post a link below proving that, if I may quote you here, "" "Precision and accuracy are synonymous, if you choose to create a complex dynamic semantically then you are likely not someone anyone should bother debating with, because you're allowed to define words as you please..."" you are incorrect, furthermore, I have defined nothing but the truth of the matter as seen by many who know the difference. And, this is not some " complex, dynamic, semantic", that I personally designed and/or translated.

So here is the link to what you do not understand.

https://labwrite.ncsu.edu/Experimental%20Design/accuracyprecision.htm

And thank you for proving my point. Sincerely,

A.I.