FX Ok finally got to the shooting range with the DRS...not good ......

Yes you’re right. It’s a perfect pellet rifle in a world of a lot of other PCP pellet rifles .But we have been through this before. FX comes out with a new platform that is great as a pellet pusher which satisfies the whole European market because of restrictions on power. Then they send the Same gun to the US market and we have to buy replacement parts if we are to shoot at the higher level we want because we are allowed. And we have to wait for those parts. It’s all in their marketing plan , they make more money selling replacement parts . They know our market by now as what we like, want, and what the dealers need. They are proving that by coming out with special purpose rifles like the Panthera Dynamic and now the DRS Pro Which all have the highest power right out of the box. They gradually improved the Dreamline. Wildcat, Impact to meet the American markets hunger for power And shooting slugs. I am disappointed to see the same senario play out on this DRS. The standard Classic is supposed to be an hunting rifle but is only available with a 5mm valve and a 12 cc plentum so it is essentially a pellet only rifle Unless you don’t care about having to fill after one magazine. They could have made an American market version with the larger 8mm valve and as I suggested above twice the volume of air in the same plentum which although still too small , would help but maybe a slightly larger plentum utilizing the most volume as possible to give this rifle the power to at least get into light to medium slugs for those wanting the advantages that slugs give in hunting conditions. That way if you only want to shoot light pellets in the mid 800 fps you lower the reg preasure or plug some of the holes in the reg and lighten the hammer spring tension and you have your pellet rifle. No extra parts to buy Detuneing down. I may be totally wrong with my thinking this could be done and FX engineered this new valve into two sizes for the best efficiency within different levels of performance. And i understand they couldnt offer two models of different power levels. But they do to think about it. They offer the .25 with the bigger valve and longer barrel But same wimpy plentum. Maybe offer a Magnum version all set up for heavy ammo With the CF air tube , larger plentum, longer barrel and heavy slug barrel and slug hammer and probe. So you could have a couple of these for different purposes but have the same feel and look. I have my DRS 600 and hopefully I’ll be able to make it what I want with a decent shot count. And then maybe I’ll buy another one.

Last edited:
How does the classic feel when handling ? Does the barrel with the plenum on the outside feel solid ? Thanks
To answer your question the DRS synthetic feels like a familiar PB hunting gun but lighter. The stock is a bit bulky feeling in the middle when carrying with one hand. The pictures of the wood stocked version looks slimmer all around like a typical rifle. The stock is made out of some kind of injection molded material like foam which is very lightweight but not as strong as the typical synthetic stocks on PB hunting rifles so I’m thinking they designed it with a little extra thickness. The barrel is bedded into the stock which adds a solid feel . But you’re confusing this gun with the Panthera and Dynamic which have the plentum in the shroud with the barrel. This DRS has the plentum in that magazine just in front of the trigger guard.

Reactions: Dairyboy
To answer your question the DRS synthetic feels like a familiar PB hunting gun but lighter. The stock is a bit bulky feeling in the middle when carrying with one hand. The pictures of the wood stocked version looks slimmer all around like a typical rifle. The stock is made out of some kind of injection molded material like foam which is very lightweight but not as strong as the typical synthetic stocks on PB hunting rifles so I’m thinking they designed it with a little extra thickness. The barrel is bedded into the stock which adds a solid feel . But you’re confusing this gun with the Panthera and Dynamic which have the plentum in the shroud with the barrel. This DRS has the plentum in that magazine just in front of the trigger guard.

I misspoke I meant the air tank. Isn’t it around the barrel ? And does barrel fill nice a stiff ? Ya I realize the magazine was essentially a plenum .

It almost seems like a crime these days for having just a pellet gun . If you buy a Huntsman your buying a pellet gun for hunting or targets. I've never heard of it needing more this or more of that to be a good pellet gun . I don't get the craze for .30+ cal rifles either . Anyways not pointing it out to anyone in particular. Just my own perspective . It's the low cost of ammo and low noise plus the fun of pesting are the reasons I bought into it at around 16 years old, buying a .177 FWB124D and still at it today.

Yes you’re right. It’s a perfect pellet rifle in a world of a lot of other PCP pellet rifles .But we have been through this before. FX comes out with a new platform that is great as a pellet pusher which satisfies the whole European market because of restrictions on power. Then they send the Same gun to the US market and we have to buy replacement parts if we are to shoot at the higher level we want because we are allowed. And we have to wait for those parts. It’s all in their marketing plan , they make more money selling replacement parts . They know our market by now as what we like, want, and what the dealers need. They are proving that by coming out with special purpose rifles like the Panthera Dynamic and now the DRS Pro Which all have the highest power right out of the box. They gradually improved the Dreamline. Wildcat, Impact to meet the American markets hunger for power And shooting slugs. I am disappointed to see the same senario play out on this DRS. The standard Classic is supposed to be an hunting rifle but is only available with a 5mm valve and a 12 cc plentum so it is essentially a pellet only rifle Unless you don’t care about having to fill after one magazine. They could have made an American market version with the larger 8mm valve and as I suggested above twice the volume of air in the same plentum which although still too small , would help but maybe a slightly larger plentum utilizing the most volume as possible to give this rifle the power to at least get into light to medium slugs for those wanting the advantages that slugs give in hunting conditions. That way if you only want to shoot light pellets in the mid 800 fps you lower the reg preasure or plug some of the holes in the reg and lighten the hammer spring tension and you have your pellet rifle. No extra parts to buy Detuneing down. I may be totally wrong with my thinking this could be done and FX engineered this new valve into two sizes for the best efficiency within different levels of performance. And i understand they couldnt offer two models of different power levels. But they do to think about it. They offer the .25 with the bigger valve and longer barrel But same wimpy plentum. Maybe offer a Magnum version all set up for heavy ammo With the CF air tube , larger plentum, longer barrel and heavy slug barrel and slug hammer and probe. So you could have a couple of these for different purposes but have the same feel and look. I have my DRS 600 and hopefully I’ll be able to make it what I want with a decent shot count. And then maybe I’ll buy another one.
You’re talking like a first time FX owner. The reality as a FX owner is you can have all the things you described for the perfect gun. You just click on FX Accessories and watch your credit card balance go up. They are the masters of selling you a plain hamburger and socking it to you for the extras to make it either edible or suit a specific taste.

Or for gas to keep on shipping it back to be fixed. I've got Mavericks, like them but my first one had a bad 1st reg. A new member here on the forum just got a new Maverick and it's going back, bad 1st regulator. Is this a trend? I just had to buy two new pistons, my plastic ones died, then I had to modify one of the new brass ones, it was just a TINY bit too long, maybe .003", just wouldn't let me get pressure above 130 bar on the first reg.
Think when any of my amp go bad I’m replacing with huma regs.

Think when any of my amp go bad I’m replacing with huma regs.
Honestly I'm not sure there is any difference but....I think they take a touch more care on selecting the Belleville's. It's how they get the pressure ranges. Lanes are suppose to be excellent also but....none for the Maverick/Impact. I might buy a pair of Humas for one of my Mavs for giggles. The ONLY real wear point in the AMPS is between the adjustor and the piston, that little point of contact and selecting the Bellevilles to make them all the same size so they work evenly.

Reactions: Trucker3573
I misspoke I meant the air tank. Isn’t it around the barrel ? And does barrel fill nice a stiff ? Ya I realize the magazine was essentially a plenum .

It almost seems like a crime these days for having just a pellet gun . If you buy a Huntsman your buying a pellet gun for hunting or targets. I've never heard of it needing more this or more of that to be a good pellet gun . I don't get the craze for .30+ cal rifles either . Anyways not pointing it out to anyone in particular. Just my own perspective . It's the low cost of ammo and low noise plus the fun of pesting are the reasons I bought into it at around 16 years old, buying a .177 FWB124D and still at it today.
I see now I haven’t explained why I’m wanting to turn a perfectly good pellet gun into something it isn’t right out of the box. I know that pellets out shoot slugs out to around to 60 yards but sometimes you find a barrel that shoots heavy pellets or slugs extremely well but it takes a gun that is capable of pushing them at the necessary velocities. I am of the opinion that you match the ammo to the purpose you intend to use it for. This applies to Airguns and PB ’s. That is why states game departments set caliber and or foot pound restrictions for different game. I live in PA where I am regulated by the game commision to .22 caliber for small game up to squirrel size . You can’t use a .25 or .30 for small game or pesting but you can use it on groundhogs, coyote, coons and foxes. No Airguns allowed for turkey or deer. I have been using .22 Airguns for pesting since I was 12 years old and have shot many a groundhog and coon with my old Crossman pump up which shot in the 450 fps range . Body shots were not effective ( quick and humane ) and head shots required very close shots for most velocity. I then grew into .22 long rifle which stretched my effective range out to 100 yards but again body shots were still not always effective especially on the big ones. So I moved up to .22 magnum which was better at 100 yards but a lot of hits still went down the hole . Then I move to centerfire .22 and that solved that and moved the effective range out beyond 200 yards. Fast forward 60 years and I’m living my youth again with PCP Airguns. I have had all the calibers and if I had my choice of one it would be .25 . But to be legal in PA I can’t use it for squirrel or pesting . So I have been playing with getting the .22 airgun to equal the foot pounds of a .25 shooting heavy pellets and slugs in the 25 to 30 grain range and I have guns that will do it out to my range limit of 60 to 70 yards, FX Wildcat bottle, Dreamline GRS, EdGun Leishy 2. One gun does it all legally. When this DRS came out I was excited that finally I can have an airgun that looks like and feels like my PB guns. I really like pretty wood and and the classic looking lines of hunting rifles. I have restocked and customized a few of my PB rifles and enjoy hunting and shooting competition with them. So of course I had to see what this DRS can do out of the box and I find it is set up to be an efficient light pellet only air rifle which is fine for squirrel hunting and pesting and yes it will kill the larger stuff with head shots. I was able to get both 25 and 28 grain pellets up to 850 fps and they grouped fantastic but the plentum just didn’t have enough air to get a decent shot count. My disappointment is that I know there is more to have from this platform in the .22 but I’ll have to spend another $500 or so to get there. If and when I get there I can see me selling some of my other Airguns and getting another DRS to leave as is and tune to shoot light stuff around the house. So I’m not bad mouthing the DRS . And FX dId market it as a pellet only gun out of the box But could be tuned up with their usual accessories. As soon as the accessories get here I’ll be reporting on what I can get it to. Basically I’m just looking to get more shot count using the heavy pellets In the high 800’s . And then there is that killer stock blank I’ve been saving for a special rifle.

whole European market because of restrictions on power
That is not true, While we Danes sans a hunting permit are chained to the .177 caliber, it is at least FAC ( for now ) unlike UK SUB 12 or even worse German SUB 7 or what the hell little it is.
And i think there are other European countries even in the " old" west that have pretty liberal laws on this pneumatic area at least, and the eastern ones probably also pretty open on power and calibers too.

Hell in 2012 when i got my Cyclone, i was very much looking at a 9 mm in a American brand, back then attainable like now if you was 18 YO
But come 2013, one newspaper article, and some punk kids shooting at people in the streets with a .177, and BOOOM things changed and our hobby was ruined / gimped.

I would assume FX focus on their largest market, which i do think is the US.
I know getting my Maverick back in the day,,,, okay ordering it on day #1, it was at least 6 months later before it finally got on shelves here, and even so i got it with a ALU bottle and not the CF one the dealer had ordered, okay the CF one i then got another 2-3-4 months later, and i did not have to return the ALU bottle,,,,, but just go to show at least that here, stuff do not land on shelves as fast as other places, even if right next door to the mother land of FX.

MOD EDIT: REMOVED OFF-TOPIC CONTENT AGAIN

Last edited by a moderator:
The HUMA also refreshes quicker than the AMP.

have both huma and amp regulator. Maybe your experience is affected by Fx generally have bigger plenum, bigger the plenum slower it fills because pressure delta is smaller with bigger plenum at same air consumption. I intensionally took out the extra plenum for my sub12 Dreamline and it refreshes plenty quick. Maybe Huma does refresh faster but not enough difference for me to notice but I don’t rapid fire. My dynamic uses a crap ton of air shooting 108 FPE and it certainly can refresh more than fast enough.

have both huma and amp regulator. Maybe your experience is affected by Fx generally have bigger plenum, bigger the plenum slower it fills because pressure delta is smaller with bigger plenum at same air consumption. I intensionally took out the extra plenum for my sub12 Dreamline and it refreshes plenty quick. Maybe Huma does refresh faster but not enough difference for me to notice but I don’t rapid fire. My dynamic uses a crap ton of air shooting 108 FPE and it certainly can refresh more than fast enough.
Yeah, large plenum on my FX. AMP takes 2 to 3 seconds, HUMA 1 second. Just picking out the little differences. One defiantly doesn't dominate the other. Both works well. I do prefer the ability to bleed down the plenum with the AMP. Not sure why HUMA decided to skip that function.

Reactions: qball
Also things land here in a WTF state too, for instance my FAC Vulcan 3 arrived as a UK SUB 12 rifle with no spacer behind REG to create a plenum.

And my FX ( mentioning this again and again even if it might get deleted ) well it was also a very strange FAC Maverick shooting 13 gr at 575 FPS om max HSW setting,,,,,,, which to me give me a very SUB 12 feeling, though REG was set to 90 bar just fine.
I for sure expected a lot more FPS in a FAC rifle from the factory, even if 13 gr are a fairly heavy .177 pellet ( only topped back then by the 16 gr Beast )

WEIRD ! Seem to be a stable part of air gunning for all of us, or at least a very clear and present danger.

It sounds like both airguns were under 12 fpe . The FX was shooting at 9.55 fpe. Sounds like it needed a heavier hammer or more HS . Did you contact the dealers where you purchased the Vulcan and Maverick ? They will usually tune it for your needs. I would blame the seller not the airguns for their low power output as purchased. Do you have a chronograph for tuning ? If your not comfortable with tuning I would contact a airgun shop and let them know what you want for fpe and pellet weight.

Well i cant say my lever ever felt anything but good, at lest not floppy.
But i have never been hard on it, other than maybe chamber 20 gr H&N slugs that due to their makeup seat a little harder than similar weight Zan slugs.
Okay i might also have dual chambered pellets a couple of times over the years but for sure not something i feel but just notice the moment you let it fly.

The 15 minutes might also have been a case of exaggeration on my part, i for sure never had the damn thing apart. :) but for sure a lot faster than several months.

I see now I haven’t explained why I’m wanting to turn a perfectly good pellet gun into something it isn’t right out of the box. I know that pellets out shoot slugs out to around to 60 yards but sometimes you find a barrel that shoots heavy pellets or slugs extremely well but it takes a gun that is capable of pushing them at the necessary velocities. I am of the opinion that you match the ammo to the purpose you intend to use it for. This applies to Airguns and PB ’s. That is why states game departments set caliber and or foot pound restrictions for different game. I live in PA where I am regulated by the game commision to .22 caliber for small game up to squirrel size . You can’t use a .25 or .30 for small game or pesting but you can use it on groundhogs, coyote, coons and foxes. No Airguns allowed for turkey or deer. I have been using .22 Airguns for pesting since I was 12 years old and have shot many a groundhog and coon with my old Crossman pump up which shot in the 450 fps range . Body shots were not effective ( quick and humane ) and head shots required very close shots for most velocity. I then grew into .22 long rifle which stretched my effective range out to 100 yards but again body shots were still not always effective especially on the big ones. So I moved up to .22 magnum which was better at 100 yards but a lot of hits still went down the hole . Then I move to centerfire .22 and that solved that and moved the effective range out beyond 200 yards. Fast forward 60 years and I’m living my youth again with PCP Airguns. I have had all the calibers and if I had my choice of one it would be .25 . But to be legal in PA I can’t use it for squirrel or pesting . So I have been playing with getting the .22 airgun to equal the foot pounds of a .25 shooting heavy pellets and slugs in the 25 to 30 grain range and I have guns that will do it out to my range limit of 60 to 70 yards, FX Wildcat bottle, Dreamline GRS, EdGun Leishy 2. One gun does it all legally. When this DRS came out I was excited that finally I can have an airgun that looks like and feels like my PB guns. I really like pretty wood and and the classic looking lines of hunting rifles. I have restocked and customized a few of my PB rifles and enjoy hunting and shooting competition with them. So of course I had to see what this DRS can do out of the box and I find it is set up to be an efficient light pellet only air rifle which is fine for squirrel hunting and pesting and yes it will kill the larger stuff with head shots. I was able to get both 25 and 28 grain pellets up to 850 fps and they grouped fantastic but the plentum just didn’t have enough air to get a decent shot count. My disappointment is that I know there is more to have from this platform in the .22 but I’ll have to spend another $500 or so to get there. If and when I get there I can see me selling some of my other Airguns and getting another DRS to leave as is and tune to shoot light stuff around the house. So I’m not bad mouthing the DRS . And FX dId market it as a pellet only gun out of the box But could be tuned up with their usual accessories. As soon as the accessories get here I’ll be reporting on what I can get it to. Basically I’m just looking to get more shot count using the heavy pellets In the high 800’s . And then there is that killer stock blank I’ve been saving for a special rifle.
I know exactly where you’re coming from. I lived it for years. Trying to turn certain guns into something they’re not just because I liked them. In most cases it’s futile. Either poor shot count, reliability or the gun is just plain angry. This gun reminds me of the FX Dreamtac Compacts. When they came out some of us were trying to turn them into cheap FX Impacts. We were chasing our tails while the guys who just shot their guns and stayed in their lane were enjoying the hell out of theirs. Lesson learned. My DRS will be a .22 pellet gun. If I want to send heavy stuff fast, I’ll use one of my guns that do it without breaking a sweat. Even if they are Buck Rodgers specials. It’s where we are at right now. Maybe in ten years a DRS type rifle will be able to breath fire. Not right now.

Thanks Vetmix. You explained it a lot shorter than I did. I get on a rant some times. If you stay with the 15 to 18 grain stuff you will be very happy with the DRS. It will be interesting to see what FX comes up with next.
Believe me, if my little 500mm walnut DRS would shoot a 22 ish grain slug 910-920fps, I’d be in heaven. But it won’t without paying the piper. So 16-18 grain pellets it will be.