Oil recommendations for Yong Heng compressor

I'm a new here and to airguns, I've been in the rabbit hole for almost a month, I just bought a Benji Bulldog and Avenger bullpup and had no idea what compressor to get. Settled on the YH after much research, landed here and took your advice to research the previous thread on this topic, very helpful. My understanding is you need oil that's:

-iso vg46 or aw46 ( as the YH tells you)
-For High pressure with high flashpoint
* High Pressure Breathing Air compressor oil, used in compressors to fill scba tanks has that flashpoint.

I found this one on Amazon from Compresses Air USA:
https://a.co/d/2djqTJHI

Sounds perfect for this YH based on other reviews on various sites, many use it for scuba and paintball air. Business is family owned, I spoke to them today to get it faster than Amazon would deliver if I reviewed them, very nice folks.

NOTE: HPBA is nontoxic vs the Royal Purple, Husky and other oils folks have recommended for the YH or compressors that aren't 2 stage 'dive compressors'. THOSE ARE WRONG, they don't have the same vg 46 rating and they're for compressors that use a different vg and flashpoint. It matters

Theres a Shell Corena oil that was recommended here and another place that also is breathable, just don't know enough myself based on researcg. Bauer works, there are others with the high flash point at iso vg 46 that I found online with small diving, scuba and medical stores that had reviews (Bauer was on under water hydraulics site). I don't know everything that works or doesn't but

oil saying its BREATHEABLE AIR OIL for high pressure is simple dead giveaway usually in what to look for because some of the oils you search will say it's not recommended for Breathable air compressors, which is what the YH is probably used for more than anything.

I know there's other bargains but I got the 100$ gallon because I was tired of looking and my guns will arrive soon.

This is my thought reading you more experienced members posts. Thankyou and I hope this helps. And feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

RECIP-HPBA-1GALBreathingAirOilforhighpressurereciprocatingaircompressors_600x.jpg

BauerSyntheticOilWebsitePicture_900x.jpg

Reactions: Dog
Looking to hear from some of the guys who have owned their Yong Hengs for some time and what Oil have they been using. Also what is the fill capacity of the compressor? I see conflicting info when I google oil capacity. Also how often do you change your oil?

Royal Purple seemed like a strong recommendation but $20 per QT YIKES!
A quart will last you 2 years

Use good lube if you want it to last. I've used Chemlube since mine was new (3+ years now) but other options exist. No rod bearings in these things so I'd recommend a break in oil change after first run and changing the lube regularly thereafter. One theory that might well be correct is that detonation may be as responsible for failures as is heat. Might be seems accurate as no one knows for sure. Quality HPA compressor lube would seem to be much less likely to detonate. In addition, keep it cool if you want it to last. Plenty of information on this going back years, but no one knows for certain where in the heat range failure becomes more likely. Or, follow the other advice from "several months back" and take your chances.
Did you break it in with the chemlube as well?, How often did you put oil after the initial break in.?

deadhorse

Lots of information on Yong Heng lubricating oils in past threads. Do SEARCH "Yong Heng Oil" in forum "Air Tanks, Compressor, section. I used HUSKY Synthetic Blend Air Compressor Oil ($6.99@16oz.) for first hour break-in oil change. After that went to Full Synthetic HUSKY Air Compressor Oil. ($9.99@16oz.) Compressor takes 10 ounces.

WM
How has the husky full synthetic been going you having any problems with the compressor.?

How has the husky full synthetic been going you having any problems with the compressor.?
No problems related to parts affected by, or in contact with, crankcase oil. Gauge went bad from vibration and several slow leaks from worn out Delrin seals, but these aren't related to engine oil. WM

Reactions: MarksmanPete
Marksman,
Recently purchased a quart of SecoLube500 from FilterTechs for $37.16 to-my-door. At 10 ounces per fill, figure on three annual oil changes per quart. No problems with Husky Full Synthetic but most agree the higher flashpoint (460F vs. 520F) is more appropriate for HPA compressors. WM
Great to hear I wont be running it to hard I will just buy husky full synthetic for first couple hours and secolube is coming it says monday just got tracking for my gallon I couldnt mess around with the quart due to shipping cost being almost the same as the gallon I see your where filtertechs is in florida so you aint getting taxed for shipping the way I am in washington you won the oil lottery cheap secolube.

Last edited:
Great to hear I wont be running it to hard I will just buy husky full synthetic for first couple hours and secolube is coming it says monday just got tracking for my gallon I couldnt mess around with the quart due to shipping cost being almost the same as the gallon I see your where filtertechs is at in florida so you aint getting taxed for shipping the way I am in washington am you won the oil lottery cheap secolube.
Win some, lose some. My 3-month-old Uragan 2 shipped out yesterday to Krales (Netherlands) for warranty repairs. Yikes! $92 with Pirate Ship, and that's with a $10 new customer discount! WM

Damn 92 what went wrong with that gun its pricey. I aint use my pirate ship 10 dollars where do I get that.
Gun working fine, then a squib shot barely made it to 50-yard target, next shot full-power bullseye, followed by another squib and so on. Contacted AGT and Krales, said return under warranty. Signed up for Pirate Ship, then ordered postal scale on eBay. Waiting for scale, Pirate Ship emailed asking where I was, mentioned postal scale, they said $10 credit had been applied to my account. WM

I read most everything that I could find and even wrote Yong Heng. While their manual states VG46 they wrote back and told me ISO100. They weren't specific on what kind of ISO and after reading everything here I opted for the Second 500. Several in this thread have said it takes 10oz to fill the crankcase. I guess last night when I filled mine for the first time that I should have measured the volume. I spent maybe 30 mins cleaning up a lab grade 100ml graduated cylinder before opening the manual and reading that it takes 0.5L - 0.6L. I said to myself, "I'm not filling up this cylinder 5-6 times and funneled oil in until it reached the appropriate level.

Bottom line, choose a quality diester full synthetic ISO 100 or ISO 150 oil and your YH will most likely outlast others who chose cheaper options. If it truly only takes 10oz of oil, an oil change using Seco 500 is less than $10.

Last edited:
Reactions: BSJ
Decided to flush out and swap oil on my Yong Heng.

The dark blob in middle is my 20 minute run oil on top of fresh puddle of Royal Purple. If the dark matter is indeed carbon, my second stage may be already near toast?

Retired but my company regularly sent off oil samples on our deepwater Rexroth pumps, I would slip this sample in to be checked…

So,

Rarus 827 which some guy selling on ebay with pictures of “Best for Yong Heng” all over it or maybe a quart of Seco Lube 500. Hell, many stories swear by Petboys 46 aw hydraulic oil! What ever, Royal Purple not going back in mine.

IMG_4998.JPG