Oh I wish we could go more than 12ft/lbs of pressure in the UK : Accuracy at 45m

In the UK we are limited to 12 foot pounds of pressure unless we apply for a firearms license with all the restrictions.

This raises a question for me. If I could go higher, say 25ftlbs, would accuracy improve due to less pellet drop etc, or doesn't it work like that ?

My latest video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80I9pxzKDq4&t=59s shows the UK spec Kalibrgun Cricket grouping at approx 45m and I am getting about 2 inches of drop over 25m centered.

Obviously hunting this is a great advantage with more pellet momentum and power, but would increased pressure make accuracy easier ? (Not that I can without a license)

Thanks

Anything around 920-940 is about optimal velocity for all diabolo pellet shooting Airguns.. regardless of caliber. Anything faster will tend to generate corkscrewing. YMMV of course. Trajectories should be flatter and very similar if you can keep the velocities as close as you can.

Ideally, moving to a heavier pellet, and keeping velocities up above 900fps will also help down range energy and accuracy. Heavier, and sometimes longer pellets should be more efficient due to better sectional density. They should retain energy better than a lighter pellet.

"amoxom"Anything around 920-940 is about optimal velocity for all diabolo pellet shooting Airguns.. regardless of caliber. Anything faster will tend to generate corkscrewing. YMMV of course. Trajectories should be flatter and very similar if you can keep the velocities as close as you can.

Ideally, moving to a heavier pellet, and keeping velocities up above 900fps will also help down range energy and accuracy. Heavier, and sometimes longer pellets should be more efficient due to better sectional density. They should retain energy better than a lighter pellet.
I've always thought that too because that's what I was told but then I read about some guy who won some big deal field target competition using a custom .177 Marauder shooting his chosen pellet at 1050fps. He claimed that the extra speed helped him do a better job against the wind. As he won against more experienced shooters who imposed those traditional speed limitations, it made me think it might be a little more complicated than we thought.

I guess the obvious point is that you can use any speed as long as it's accurate. Certain pellet / gun combos do better at low speeds and some at high. The only way to tell is to experiment. With so many different designs of pellet and barrels, it makes sense that there is no one size fits all. 

My (limited) understanding is that the inaccuracy is caused at higher speeds not when the pellets crosses or approaches the speed of sound but when it drops back below it mid flight. It's that sudden change that causes instability. At a short enough range, that shouldn't happen as you'd hit the target before the speed dropped below the speed of sound again.

On the accuracy thing at 12 ft lb, it depends on the distance you are shooting. Many of the expensive target guns made for shorter range disciplines are set to lower power / speeds than the match rules allow. One thing is certain though, the trajectory will not be as flat and the difference will become very noticeable past 40-50 yards. Of course, a flat trajectory is not the same as accuracy. It just requires less adjustment for the drop. It doesn't really matter if you have to drop 4 mil dots instead of 2 as long as the poi is consistent. The pellet just needs enough speed to remain stable in flight, unless you hunt.

If I lived in the UK and wanted to hunt, I would be applying for my license so I could buy the fac models. I wouldn't want to hunt with 12 fpe but if I had to, I would stick to birds at closer range.

You can kill other small game with 12 fpe but you need perfect head shots. Personally, I think it massively increases the chances of wounding instead of killing. I've seen a number of squirrels run away injured from less than perfect shots with 30fpe 22's so it's not going to be better with 1/3 of the energy.

"EMrider"If I were limited to 12fpe max I'd likely want more power too.

That said, I find myself hunting with my 12fpe springers more often than not. That power gives me optimal accuracy inside of 40 yards. Beyond 40 yards and I pass on the shot. With 12fpe I get full pass through on small game. No need for more power unless I'm taking longer shots. 

R
It isn't the penetration I have an issue with when it comes to lower power and smaller calibers. It's that squirrels often survive and run away injured unless it's perfect head shot. I think it's smart of you to keep it to under 40 yards so you have a better chance of hitting the kill zone.

With my 50fpe+ 25 cal guns, small game drop where they stood, even from a good body shot. I never have one run off and leaving me unsure if it died or not. That's how hunting should be IMO. 

If if power is limited, pellet choice becomes even more important, as well as being accurate, you want something more lethal than your average JSB 18. I like H&N hunter extremes but you probably want a lighter pellet for 12ft lb.

In England, do the FPE police show up to test your airgun? There are so many airguns, which are very adjustable to be more, and have good accuracy. Any PCP can be tuned for more. It seems like it would be so easy to say... "hmmm, they must have accidently put in the United States version of spring and hammer in my air rifle... I will have those offending parts removed straight away".

"addertooth"In England, do the FPE police show up to test your airgun? There are so many airguns, which are very adjustable to be more, and have good accuracy. Any PCP can be tuned for more. It seems like it would be so easy to say... "hmmm, they must have accidently put in the United States version of spring and hammer in my air rifle... I will have those offending parts removed straight away".
It's like any law that restricts things in any country. It doesn't seem like a big deal until you get caught. The air guns sold there require modification to shoot at FAC levels usually. As we all know, it isn't terribly difficult. It isn't difficult to make a firearms silencer here either but if you get caught, the charge is for owning an illegal firearm which is a serious offense in most countries. A FAC air rifle is considered a firearm over there - just like a firearms silencer is here.

The punishment is disproportionately severe for the benefit derived from the crime. If you live there, you are definitely better off just applying for a license. It's not like there is no legal way to own a FAC version air rifle like in China. It's not much different to how you have to apply for a handgun license here. People are used to the practice and it's no big deal.

So how do people get caught using a 13fpe + air rifle there? The same way as people get caught with unlicensed handguns or firearms silencers here - Somebody reports you. In a scenario when someone is using an air gun somewhere it is not allowed or in an irresponsible or dangerous way, somebody might see and call the police. If the police feel the need they can have it tested. I read about a case over there where a senior citizen was arrested for animal cruelty when a neighbor reported him for shooting a squirrel that he'd trapped live in his garden. It was still alive after being shot 5 times with his .177 springer.... You could also get caught if they find it when they arrest a person for another crime etc. 

The UK population is generally anti-firearms and I am sure that there is no shortage of people who would call the police if they saw "a man with a gun". Unless a person plans to only shoot indoors (in which case the FAC version would be pointless), getting caught with an unlicensed FAC gun is not super unlikely. 

Unlicensed firearms is generally a serious enough offense that you won't get away with the old "I did't know that spring was too powerful" excuse. If the law has any similarity with America's, they won't have much leeway to let you off with a warning. 

As far as I can remember from my time living there, there is no airgun police specifically. Just the regular police force. 

"addertooth"In England, do the FPE police show up to test your airgun? There are so many airguns, which are very adjustable to be more, and have good accuracy. Any PCP can be tuned for more. It seems like it would be so easy to say... "hmmm, they must have accidently put in the United States version of spring and hammer in my air rifle... I will have those offending parts removed straight away".
Reading some posts from people living there it seems airgun users are targeted. If you are seen using an airgun on property or carrying one in the public its a good chance the police may show up. they can and do power level checks from what I have read in posts. The non FAC airguns sold over there have anti tamper devices and the manufacturers are held accountable and I am sure would pay a hefty fine and possible loss of the business if they were to break the rules. I would bet using a line like "they must have accidentally put FAC parts in my air rifle" wouldnt do much to impress the local authority and might get you even deeper. Its so bad the forums will not allow posts that say anything about adjusting power or how to adjust the power level. They simply say take it to the licensed shop to get it done legally and to stay legal. Most wont touch their airgun and just take it to professional tuners for work especially if it needs adjusted.

Yup, it is easy to up the power in the Kalibrgun by placing with the washers in the regulator and other means and the changes of anyone knowing are zero. But all it takes is for someone to see you with your rifle and be a busy neighbor and you run the risk of a "VISIT" and perhaps if the copper is vigilant and knowledgeable, perhaps a test.

I have once had a knock on the door because I used to fire from my living room, through open doors into my back yard for more distance. The problem was I left the front room curtains open and some "respecting" neighbor saw me and reported me for having a gun. Great eh ? Easily explained and the police were fine, just doing their job, but it shows what it is like in the UK.

If they test, they are taken away and tested by someone who is knowledgeable on the matter. So if the rifle is capable of over 12ftlbs without stripping and modifying, you are in serious trouble.

The penalties in the UK for having a "firearm" and extremely severe and to be honest, just not worth the risk.