Often wondered .. Now I know, FWB 300 sight fits on a 124/127 Rifle.

Recently acquired a full set of FWB 300 Universal sights.
Have owned a FWB 124 for near 40 years !

Always wondered about the dished cut outs at rear of the 124's receiver
???

Well I'll be darn, The rear peep / diopter sight slides right on and those dished cuts are clearanced for the clamp bolt of the sight.
Pick the position wanted and no amount of recoil is going to slide the sight.

Who-Da-Thunk ... while never ever reading EVER about someone placing these sights on the 124/127 sporter rifle.
* OEM front globe sight retained.

thumbnail.jpg

Perfect match to the rifle, and looks great!

When you make a sight as nice as FWB's match diopter, ya wanna make it fit all your guns, LOL...Beeman's catalog made a (rather half-hearted) attempt to point that out back in the day.

1C133E6D-AEAE-4E08-87FA-6199B1D5411A.jpeg

One caution - with this early "Type 1" FWB diopter, that cross-bolt must be turned all the way out when taking the sight on or off, and aligned precisely with the curved recesses when tightened, or it can ding up the receiver. You often see that sort of damage on older FWB match rifles (also on Walthers, from whom FWB borrowed the detail. Pic is an otherwise minty Walther LGV...ouch).

797A1F8D-F625-4050-BBE3-E78CD9FEA344.jpeg

BUT...the markings on the gun help you out with this. Here you can see the dished recesses for the anti-recoil bolt on a 124 (red arrow); the small transverse lines further forward on the receiver (blue arrow) are "aiming" marks for the front edge of the sight, to assure the bolt is correctly aligned. The sight mounts in one of four positions, with a corresponding aiming mark for each.

4DA0C628-28AD-4E9A-91C8-CFB9DAF924E9.jpeg

Here it is in action on a 300S.

54E7551E-7FAD-4032-997E-9BAC24E07AC4.jpeg

On the later "Type 2" version of the sight, the bolt has an ingenious cutaway underneath that circumvents this problem; just rotate it out of the way 90 degrees, and the sight easily slides on or off, without having to crank the bolt all the way out. The "Type 2's" clamp knob is moved to the left side, with a neat thumb lever on the right, for rotating the bolt.

91E1DD19-9290-4686-91ED-3346A07C5A3F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: r1lover
Yea my 124DX I've owned sense new. For a good 25+ years was my primary shooter and it got shot a LOT !
About 10 ago was looking over the stock while servicing the internal for the first time ( Typical seal failure ) and came to the conclusion it was pretty beat up ... so with the help from RUSTOLEUM truck bed liner it got a high grip over coating. While sad thing done now looking back :cry: it did not change the rifles function any. It these past few years indeed have gone back into it and fiddled a bit to get what further smoothing of shot cycle one can do with these rifles.

Now days it mostly sits in the back row of safe hidden from the light of day and much use ... Thus is my story with having so many AG's to shoot.

Something that has bugged me since 1979 when I first pulled the trigger on my FWB 124D. When I first shot the gun, I thought the trigger was magic. Until I shot my buddy's Beeman R1. Just not as good. Time and thousands of shots and not as good. Can anyone fix that? Can a Weihrauch Record trigger be transplanted?
Sadly NO the trigger mechanics of the original 124/127 rifles is specific to the rifles.
Can they be made better, indeed they can with some proper sear honing and a tad lighter spring within the trigger group. * Correct adjustment is an absolute stock or otherwise !!!