Officially retired as of last Friday

• Thread starter Deleted member 47391
  • Start date
I never got to retire, i was retired early due to physical issues,,,,,, well i hope it was that and not mental issues.
So while the retirement age here in Denmark are 67, i was let off at 50, which are sort of a let down, but my life long scrawny build and the fact i never minded working hard, well that is what you get.
And trust me all my life i have tried to get help as it always seemed unnatural to me that i should be so skinny, but no help at all, same as i get now with a decade long sleep disorder, and now i also wake up every day with a splitting headache even though i have only slept for 2-3-4-5 hours.
Actually often the headache is there long before i fall asleep as i on average spend 6 - 8 hours in bed every day not sleeping, and those days a set of pill are often needed.
Fortunately as soon as i get out of bed the headache go away.

Thanks everyone, very much appreciated for sure. Money is going to be extremely tight because I didn't invest in 401k and all that smart stuff. Just relying on my SS, my wife's SS and her small government job pension. So stupid to pay taxes on our SS that we paid taxes to get but nuff said about that otherwise.....

Otherwise I'd much rather use that double tax to purchase PCP stuff.

Ok, I did invest but not in 401K, instead I invested in precious metals, lead. From .177 to .50 and every cal in-between. Money well spent as far as I'm concerned
Actually SS comes out before taxes are calculated.

Reactions: beerthief
Actually SS comes out before taxes are calculated.
I'm talking about paying INCOME TAX on SS once you start collecting it. Yes, you pay SS tax on your income, but you also pay income tax on SS once you take it! It's a double taxation, tax your tax. I don't want to get political about it and who put it into law but it's totally stupid. I and my wife have to pay 7% tax on our SS.

My point is SS comes out as a deduction from your paycheck an is not taxed at that time. And the employer matches that deduction un-taxed. Roughly, 7.5% of your paycheck is your SS deduction and the employer matches 7,5%. For instance, you made 50k a year for 30 years. You paid 3750 each year into SS for a total of $112500. Let's then say you collect $2000 a month. Your investment (not including any interest) will only last about 5 years. After that someone else is paying your retirement, being your previous employer or current SS payees. That is why the system is always in danger of going broke. It is not designed to be based on everything you invested, but the future generations are holding up the current retirees. This is a very simplistic overview , but please do some research and understand the system before complaining. Thank you.

I'm retired now for a yr &1/2 . As my Brother told me , " the best job you'll ever have ". Not drawing SS yet & my Queen is still working at home part time as she slowly slides into business liquidation. I'm out of the house & over to the farm permission most days " working" on pests & groundhogs . Once in a while I make sure cobwebs are not closing up the barrels in my PB collection ! I've even thinned some PB's out , going to some up & coming nephews . All my Kids & Grandkids are in MA ,so not close enough to see regularly . Hopefully that will change when the "CEO/CFO" hangs it up . I had 3 PCP's & a springer while working & amassed a few more since retiring, along w/ a Hatsan Factor RC ,airline approved case , Hill pump (3rd of those ,back up/ field use) Hawke Airmax scope w/ rings , UTG bipod , a tin of pellets & a nice Caterpillar carry bag for a retirement gift from my employer . I vowed to have the cleanest , well kept lot in the neighborhood & a high critter body count at the farm. Last summer it didn't work out because of health issues ( shoulder replacement & ulcer repair ). This year hopes to be different . I do keep up w/ a few ex coworkers every so often but I do not miss the job , the travel & time away from home.

My point is SS comes out as a deduction from your paycheck an is not taxed at that time. And the employer matches that deduction un-taxed. Roughly, 7.5% of your paycheck is your SS deduction and the employer matches 7,5%. For instance, you made 50k a year for 30 years. You paid 3750 each year into SS for a total of $112500. Let's then say you collect $2000 a month. Your investment (not including any interest) will only last about 5 years. After that someone else is paying your retirement, being your previous employer or current SS payees. That is why the system is always in danger of going broke. It is not designed to be based on everything you invested, but the future generations are holding up the current retirees. This is a very simplistic overview , but please do some research and understand the system before complaining. Thank you.
Thanks for simplistic overview, that's exactly how I understand it too. Not complaining, just was shocked to find out you have to pay taxes on SS. Thanks for your replies, I'm over it now. :)

I semi retired two years ago at 65, I have a one man construction earthwork business and being in the northeast winters ain't conducive to earthwork so I keep the fires going....sadly, now that I've decided to devote large sums of money to airgunning it's looking like I'll be doing full time again.:cry: Oh well, it was good while it lasted, I hope you enjoy a long happy retirement.

I do laugh a bit at the French all up in arms these days over a suggested retirement age of 64.

I am pretty sure that before i get to it, the Danish pension age will be upped to 70, even if it is already documented that 67 are a tall order for many people.
But the people pushing papers in our monstrous public sector, well those could retire at 70 just fine i think.

But it is fortunate we have like 2-3 ways to retire before time here, many will need that like me, but the process many undergo are a INSULT
For instance a case here in my town some years before i got retired had a woman so far gone that she had to get a bed installed in the place where they should test her ability to work, and then she could lie there most of the day.
I was work tested too, and really i did not work a full week there, though most times with me calling in "sick" CUZ i am not going to work when i have just spent 8 - 10 hours in bed trying to fall asleep.

The reason its so hard to get early retirement here now are that during the 80 and 90ties, many many 10,000 of Danes ( if not 100,000s ) was given early retirement by lazy social workers that could not manage to get lazy bums to work, actually then i know some of these and the MO was just tell your social worker that you like to smoke weed so getting up early in the morning to go to work dont really work.
I never had any problem in that regard, and trust me i have smoked all the kilos of weed i need to smoke too, thats not really the problem the problem is society here facilitate lazy parasites.

I never got to retire, i was retired early due to physical issues,,,,,, well i hope it was that and not mental issues.
So while the retirement age here in Denmark are 67, i was let off at 50, which are sort of a let down, but my life long scrawny build and the fact i never minded working hard, well that is what you get.
And trust me all my life i have tried to get help as it always seemed unnatural to me that i should be so skinny, but no help at all, same as i get now with a decade long sleep disorder, and now i also wake up every day with a splitting headache even though i have only slept for 2-3-4-5 hours.
Actually often the headache is there long before i fall asleep as i on average spend 6 - 8 hours in bed every day not sleeping, and those days a set of pill are often needed.
Fortunately as soon as i get out of bed the headache go away.
Hello Peashooter, thank you for sharing your personal experience, none of us can possibly imagine what you've been going through. I for one and many others will pray for you. Do you need anything to add to your PCP collection? If so I have one I don't shoot much that I've been wanting to sell, I'd like to offer it to you. Please send me a private message.
God Bless you and hope your life will improve.

BTW...im a tall fat man!
Joe

I do laugh a bit at the French all up in arms these days over a suggested retirement age of 64.

I am pretty sure that before i get to it, the Danish pension age will be upped to 70, even if it is already documented that 67 are a tall order for many people.
But the people pushing papers in our monstrous public sector, well those could retire at 70 just fine i think.

But it is fortunate we have like 2-3 ways to retire before time here, many will need that like me, but the process many undergo are a INSULT
For instance a case here in my town some years before i got retired had a woman so far gone that she had to get a bed installed in the place where they should test her ability to work, and then she could lie there most of the day.
I was work tested too, and really i did not work a full week there, though most times with me calling in "sick" CUZ i am not going to work when i have just spent 8 - 10 hours in bed trying to fall asleep.

The reason its so hard to get early retirement here now are that during the 80 and 90ties, many many 10,000 of Danes ( if not 100,000s ) was given early retirement by lazy social workers that could not manage to get lazy bums to work, actually then i know some of these and the MO was just tell your social worker that you like to smoke weed so getting up early in the morning to go to work dont really work.
I never had any problem in that regard, and trust me i have smoked all the kilos of weed i need to smoke too, thats not really the problem the problem is society here facilitate lazy parasites.
I've been to your home country, first while stationed in Germany while in the Army in 1972-1974. Then about 30 years ago for work reasons. Not that this should be added here but one of my bosses,,,,way back when, was from there and at the age of 14 was with the Dutch Underground. I'll not say anything more than that. Amazing man.

I've been to your home country, first while stationed in Germany while in the Army in 1972-1974. Then about 30 years ago for work reasons. Not that this should be added here but one of my bosses,,,,way back when, was from there and at the age of 14 was with the Dutch Underground. I'll not say anything more than that. Amazing man.
Of course I'm talking about WWII.

Yeah the great Hippie war of the 70ties, best forgotten :)

Many say Danes generally punch way over their weight, i always get nagged by the feeling we could do much better than what ever we do.
NATO are not particular happy about Denmark it seem in a resent publication, us only delivering on 3 out of 17 matters, especially us buying "boats" that they say are not really needed.
NATO i think forget we are a very old seafaring nation with big traditions,,,,, well until the British stole our whole navy, which at the time i wont say was entirely wrong to do as then our navy was rather substantial.

I am a bit embarrassed about the NATO deal as you do not sign agreements you dont intend to keep.

As a kid in the 70ties i remember 2 new kids moving into the neighbourhood, they was also Americans or at least one of the parents was, and they came from Germany.
I cant for the life of me remember what the oldest of the brothers was named but the youngest was named Abe,,,,,, which we Danish kids have a field day with as Abe in Danish mean monkey.

I quit working full time 8 years ago when I turned 65. Since I never worked any where with a private pension or a tax payer funded pension I've had to continue working part time to supplement my SS income. My hobbies (air guns, classic cars and bass fishing) are quite expensive. Fortunately I enjoy what I do and can pretty much set my own hours and mostly work from home. I tend to average about 15-20 hours/week.