Officially joined the Darkside - FX Maverick

I just picked up my first FX rifle, a Maverick compact in 30 cal. I wanted the sniper but found a good deal on a compact that already had a few mods I was going to buy anyway so it made sense to get this one. It already had a larger bottle on it and I bought a new 700mm barrel kit from someone on the forum. It had the standard superior liner and also a superior heavy, but I left the standard liner in for now to see how it would do. It was tuned for 44.75 JSB’s when I received it and my intensions were to make this a slug only shooter so I did a little adjusting on the Maverick. I set the first regulator to 175 bar and the second one to 148 bar. I left the hammer spring alone for now as I didn’t have much shooting time yesterday until it was dark out. I got my scope sighted in and the shot the group below at 40 yards with NSA 49.5 grain slugs. It was a 5 shot group and I‘m pretty happy with the results. My chronograph was showing all of the shots in the low 960’s so a little over 100 FPE. I managed to recover a slug and the expansion looked to be good. I need to stretch the rifle out further to see how it does but will have to go to the range to do that.
120817DC-1389-4AED-98F6-6F2EB174A19A.jpeg
C9398AD6-D5FF-40E0-94F4-DCE69290D032.jpeg
628C414C-8554-4F5C-BF16-225F5A9A07EB.jpeg

Welcome to the dark side, you will soon have more spring in your steps because your wallet will be a good amount lighter! 🤣
I’ll have a wallet full of cash when I sell it….until I put my deposit down on the new MV-2. I heard it’s got 4 regulators, a 1000mm slug barrel and a power plenum the size of a guppy tank.

My shooting partner just bought one and is very pleased. But he did run into an issue last time out at the dairy. It would be worthwhile to check yours. He was able to source the screw at a local hardware store.
The positioning of that "slide mount" is important (especially with factory probes). If it's too far forward, it will cause the probe to block the transfer port. If it's too far back, then you'll end up with the skirt of the pellet / base of the slug sticking out of the breech in the transfer port (it's more apparent with dual ported / milled transfer ports).

If both screws are out and it's never been adjusted before, you can probably align it by the gouge marks in the rod from the screws. If you're not sure about the re-alignment, you can load a projectile and remove the barrel to check the seating depth in the breech, and adjust it accordingly.

There's quite a bit of room for error there, so you want to get that thing setup just right. I had used this margin to my advantage when I machined my slug probes and with the slightest adjustments I was able to produce substantially more power than I could get out of a factory pellet probe that I had already skeletonized with a Dremel.

I also have one in .22. I will keep mine compact, as a medium power pellet shooter. I tuned, my gun yesterday for 16 grain JSB pellets, and I only need 70 bar on the seccond reg, to shoot them at 820-830fps. First reg I sat at 130. Tested it today, and It became more accurate than the factory tune, on 100 bar, with the 16 grain pellets. Seems like you have the same saber tactical impact/maverick bagrider as me. A nice gun indeed:)

Congrats on the new gun!

I'm loving my Maverick VP .30 cal, but I'm having feeding issues with the magazine. I have two magazines, and they both have the same issue. I may pull the trigger and send it back to FX before we get too far into Ohio squirrel season. 😢
Feeding problems on Maverick could easily be caused by magazine contacting cheek rest. Try taking the cheek rest off the gun and see if it then feeds properly. If it feeds OK without the cheek rest, then your feeding problem is because the cheek rest is keeping the magazine from seating fully into position. If that is the case, then make sure you have the solid cheek rest. If you have the hollow one with the ribs in it, then insist that fx customer service send you a solid one at their expense because it is their screw up for giving you a crap part. If you already have the solid cheek rest, then you just need to sand off any part of it that is coming into contact with the magazine.
grungy

Last edited by a moderator:
Feeding problems on Maverick could easily be caused by magazine contacting cheek rest. Try taking the cheek rest off the gun and see if it then feeds properly. If it feeds OK without the cheek rest, then your feeding problem is because the cheek rest is keeping the magazine from seating fully into position. If that is the case, then make sure you have the solid cheek rest. If you have the hollow one with the ribs in it, then insist that fx customer service send you a solid one at their expense because it is their screw up for giving you a crap part. If you already have the solid cheek rest, then you just need to sand off any part of it that is coming into contact with the magazine.
grungy
Thanks for the info!

I actually fixed it yesterday, and it was because of the magazines. The retaining screw needed to be tightened so the see through cover fit snug. It got loose and this is what caused the feed issue. I tightened both mags, and now they feed like butter!

Reactions: Member 32425