Official Thread - Alkin owners - check in!

What version alkin did you purchase?

• Auto

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Manual

Votes: 19 65.5%

• Total voters
Here's my 220v manual model. Great machine. Still amazed how quickly it fills my tanks. Guppy from 0-4500 7 mins

Screenshot_20220627-161944_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: douger
My 2004 W31 Horizontal model just hit 55 original hours. I’m the third owner, I believe. Second owner was Gene and Rodger the owners of Airtanksplus.

I did all my own wiring. Years ago when I built my garage I ran #8 wire from the sub panel to an empty four square box, planning for an air tool compressor one day. That never happened, so the space I had in the sub panel went towards the Alkin, and all I had to do was put it the correct wall plug. I then took a 25’ #12 cord, cut off the ends, and put on the correct plug terminals and matched that up to the compressors cord also.

My Alkin rests on a four wheel construction cart rated for 350 lbs and it puts in in the perfect height for service, and the cart is big enough to hold the compressor and one 88 cu ft tank on the top, and under on the low shelf I store all pcp related items. My Alkin’s hose end is custom done by Gene at ATP, with a CGA347 end along with a valve shut off, pressure manometer and bleed screw, so I don’t have to bleed the air out of the hose to disconnect the tank, but I do anyway.

I do have a question for Maher, the Alkin rep that’s posting on this thread-
What’s best to follow when it comes to oil changes and filter replacements- hours in use or the amount of time the air filter and oil are within the Compressor? It it like a car, where it’s 7,000 miles or 6 months, whatever comes first? I replaced the air filter cartridge at like 44 hours and it’s been just over a year and now I have 11 hours on that filter. I know based on the replacement schedule my hours are way low to change the filter but like I said, it’s been over a year.

Thank you, Maher

Last edited:
Reactions: wolfmangreg
My 2004 W31 Horizontal model just hit 55 original hours. I’m the third owner, I believe. Second owner was Gene and Rodger the owners of Airtanksplus.

I did all my own wiring. Years ago when I built my garage I ran #8 wire from the sub panel to an empty four square box, planning for an air tool compressor one day. That never happened, so the space I had in the sub panel went towards the Alkin, and all I had to do was put it the correct wall plug. I then took a 25’ #12 cord, cut off the ends, and put on the correct plug terminals and matched that up to the compressors cord also.

My Alkin rests on a four wheel construction cart rated for 350 lbs and it puts in in the perfect height for service, and the cart is big enough to hold the compressor and one 88 cu ft tank on the top, and under on the low shelf I store all pcp related items. My Alkin’s hose end is custom done by Gene at ATP, with a CGA347 end along with a valve shut off, pressure manometer and bleed screw, so I don’t have to bleed the air out of the hose to disconnect the tank, but I do anyway.

What’s best to follow when it comes to oil changes and filter replacements- hours in use or the amount of time the air filter and oil are within the Compressor? It it like a car, where it’s 7,000 miles or 6 months, whatever comes first? I replaced the air filter cartridge at like 44 hours and it’s been just over a year and now I have 11 hours on that filter. I know based on the replacement schedule my hours are way low to change the filter but like I said, it’s been over a year.

Thank you, Maher
I want to know as well. If I only put 15 hours on the machine in 1 year. Do I still need to complete an oil change? And should I change my filter's also?

I have had mine several months 6 hours on it. Mine is W31v on a 30amp 240v circuit I put in with 8/3 with ground rubber cord (SJOE) better for vibration. I can't find any info on the first oil change. I think I'll go ahead and change it out this weekend.

For those that are researching what to buy, these Alkins are dive quality top of the line compressors rated for six hours continues duty they are no joke.

Reactions: Skydivingmiami
My Alkin is just at one year old and has 37 hours on it (I shoot a lot lol).
It’s been flawless and so efficient and quiet.
I top off my big bottle from about 3000 to about 4200 and it only takes something like six or eight minutes, all I know is it’s so fast you don’t leave the filling station!
And Aydin and the guys are more than helpful, they either answer the phone or call me back the same day.
The maintenance is quite easy really.
One thing that I noticed is that when I changed the oil it was pretty dirty after the 30+ hours in that first year of use.
Maher, I’m wondering if I should have changed the oil a little sooner, maybe at 15 hours?
It wasn’t horribly dirty, just not the honey color of the new oil.
And I also am wondering about when I bleed off the moisture, I open the bleed valves for about 5 or 10 seconds and get a little blast of moisture, but then the air pressure dies off even though the bleed valve is still open, is that normal?
Thanks for such a great compressor, wished I would have bought this first!
I can say nothing negative about my Alkin compressor.
6645740E-82CF-44CF-BC87-9F8CE791AFEA.jpeg

Reactions: Skydivingmiami

Thank you, Maher

I top off my big bottle from about 3000 to about 4200 and it only takes something like six or eight minutes, all I know is it’s so fast you don’t leave the filling station!
And Aydin and the guys are more than helpful, they either answer the phone or call me back the same day.
One thing that I noticed is that when I changed the oil it was pretty dirty after the 30+ hours in that first year of use.
Maher, I’m wondering if I should have changed the oil a little sooner, maybe at 15 hours?
And I also am wondering about when I bleed off the moisture, I open the bleed valves for about 5 or 10 seconds and get a little blast of moisture, but then the air pressure dies off even though the bleed valve is still open, is that normal?
I can say nothing negative about my Alkin compressor.View attachment 271754
Hi Dave,
You don't have to change the oil sooner then what you have been doing. Just make sure you have enough ventilation in the room. Oil can get darker if the ambient conditions are hot and when there is not enough ventilation for the compressor.

I can say nothing negative about my Alkin compressor.View attachment 271754
Dave- to answer your question about the pressure drop when you do a manual moisture purge- yes- that’s going to happen. It’ll happen anytime you open the moisture or oil catch purge knobs. It’s no different than if an air line came loose on it’s fitting. It’s like a leak, so you will hear the compressor bog down as you release pressure.

So to keep from shutting off the compressor with it fully pressurized, the moment I see the tanks fill gage show that it’s full of air, I do this in this exact sequence-
1. Close off SCBA tank valve
2. Open moisture bleed valve knob(I do #1 and #2 almost together)
3. Open oil purge valve.
4. Turn off compressor
5. Bleed off fill hose

The fill hose bleeder, the moisture bleeder, and the oil bleeder when I say I open the valves I don’t crack them, they are open fully. I want air gushing out fast.

These Alkin’s are tough, and will be ok turning them off pressurized, but I know it’s hard on any compressor to shut it down fully pressurized so I do these steps just because. Maybe it’s why my 2004 model still runs like it’s brand new, ha ha

Just ran mine and as smooth as always. W31 vertical w\ auto everything.

Filled a Brancato Tiger Shark tank from 0 to 4500 in something like 12 to 15 minutes and nary a hitch. I just hit the big green button and surf the web while it runs.

Thanks for such a quality unit Maher, it has made my hobby so much more enjoyable having air on demand.

Now on rows of 23 lbs concrete blocks, which are on a 65 lbs stone slab.

View attachment 271877
@ Wolfgang- is your crank case vent a closed loop design from the factory or did you install that hose yourself so as to minimize odors?

If so be careful if you live or store your compressor where any moisture in the hose can freeze and form a vent blockage. You’ll have oil leaks all over, then

Reactions: wolfmangreg