Official Thread - Alkin owners - check in!

What version alkin did you purchase?

• Auto

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Manual

Votes: 19 65.5%

• Total voters
Alkin owners We should start a thread!

How many hours do you have on your machine. Any maintenance done? Filters, oil, issues?

I have 4 hours on my w31. Working like a champ!

Screenshot_20220627-161944_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Only 27 minutes on mine so far- pretty safe to say I'll be following the "... or annually" oil change recommendation rather than 100 hours!

Crunched a few numbers using my Cricket carbine .22 (~32fpe) for the example- shots per fill, gun fills per tank fill, time for each tank fill etc. Would have to shoot over 250,000 pellets to get to the 50 hour filter media change interval, & well over half a million to reach the 100 hour oil change interval.

I got mine February 2022. So far so good. Bought a gallon of oil for when I need it. My SCBA’s are DIN 300 valved so my Alkin fill whip is a DIN connector. The convenience is awesome.
I don’t think I even have an hour on it yet. Been working 64 hours per week so shooting is an hour or so on Sundays. That will change July 7th when I retire.
Ordered a Wildcat MKIII yesterday. Second half of summer is looking good. Can’t wait for small game September first with the Wildcat.
Randy

Last edited:
Just like rcs9250. Bought in Feb of 22. 1.5 hours on it and 60 hrs a week of work on me. Haven't been able to find anything I don't like about it. No auto shut off or drain but that's o.k. by me. Makes me pay attention when I'm working with it. Besides, at 8 min top off time on a 9L bottle that's not really asking for a whole lot of attention. So I started with pcp in 2017 and I now have Mercedes in my collection.

Indeed it has been a good year. I'm not mechanical engineer by any stretch of the imagination, but it seems these higher priced compressors have a lot going for them. The biggest in my opinion is the run time or lack there of. The lower priced offerings have to run a lot longer and in doing so, generate a lot more heat. Heat will kill an engine faster than anything. So if we are doing mainly 8-10 minute top-offs, these compressors will last forever. Of course with the correct maintenance. I think that's the part a lot of people miss.

Reactions: Ricochet
Just like rcs9250. Bought in Feb of 22. 1.5 hours on it and 60 hrs a week of work on me. Haven't been able to find anything I don't like about it. No auto shut off or drain but that's o.k. by me. Makes me pay attention when I'm working with it. Besides, at 8 min top off time on a 9L bottle that's not really asking for a whole lot of attention. So I started with pcp in 2017 and I now have Mercedes in my collection.
Yeah, my run times are very short too. I have a digital egg timer that I use to remind me to drain should it run that long. It would have to be an SCBA 45 minute tank or so from zero PSI probably to run that long. Mine is manual shut off as well. I have a stool right along side my Alkin that I don’t get up from if compressor is running. Maybe I should put a shut off switch in the seat like lawn tractors have in them so it shuts down if you get off or fall off. ;)
Randy

Some photos of the gas engine option. Found a grill cover that fits nicely.

PXL_20220626_181503881.jpg
PXL_20220626_181644093.jpg

Went with a female Foster on the fill whip. Tank is equipped with a DIN to male Foster for input. Also have a firehouse to male Foster adapter- will probably get a used firehouse tank soon. Plus want to be able to fill for any local airgunners; those two options should cover most.

PXL_20220626_181816341.jpg

Came with a length of hose for the input, to keep it a good distance from the gas engine exhaust. Scrounged a length of vinyl hose that is a perfect friction fit over that hose, to run inside to cool/dry air when it's super humid out. Probably overkill; the water separator is large & robust, but the hose was free so figured why not. I crack the valves for a few seconds midway through a fill, then again at the end. Only four fills so far, but it definitely vented less water when the hose was run inside vs outside. Will only do that when ambient humidity is high, like this morning (71%).

PXL_20220626_181741606.jpg

Rear view of the compressor.

PXL_20220626_181854257.jpg

Hardware & gauges seem high quality.

PXL_20220626_182120184.jpg

PXL_20220626_182302895.jpg

PXL_20220626_182317170.jpg

Inter/after cooler lines do seem to make a difference. Tank just gets barely warm on a 3500-4500 top off. Loses very, very little pressure after cooldown, less than I'm used to seeing after a fill at the dive shop. Don't know what compressor they're running. Good people, happy to fill for airgunners & always willing to top off after cooldown. But I don't miss the 45 minute drive each way, limited hours, $16 per fill charge, or waiting an hour for that top off.

Guesstimated time on the first few fills, but put a stopwatch on it this morning- 7 minutes 28 seconds from start to shut off, ~3550 to 4500 psi. This is the 4.9 cfm version- Was quoted (& paid for) the 3.7 cfm version, which they had said was in stock. Not sure if an inventory error or the last 3.7 they had at the time was already spoken for... but was shipped the 4.9 cfm at no additional cost.

If you have or can easily get a 220 outlet & don't plan on taking it anywhere without access to such, the vertical 220 version is probably best option. Smaller footprint, and more mobile without a dedicated cart. This one will see occasional trips to places with no convenient access to an outlet.

PXL_20220626_182003112.jpg

Last edited:
The Alkin has been my best purchase. I only have 4 hours on mine probably about 30 tank fills. I use mine inside a climate controlled room and the air output is very dry. I measured the tank moisture after the first fill but I think it would be interesting to measure it after a few years of use to see the Moisture PPM. At first using the compressor I was anxious because I would sometimes operate the pressure relief since the pressure would rise so fast when closing the tank valve. But now I close the tank valve and open the tank bleeder in what seems almost like one motion. Leaving plenty of time.

Reactions: wolfmangreg
At first using the compressor I was anxious because I would sometimes operate the pressure relief since the pressure would rise so fast when closing the tank valve. But now I close the tank valve and open the tank bleeder in what seems almost like one motion. Leaving plenty of time.
I did exactly the same thing, & remedied the same way :).

Very Important... Take the compressor off the pallet, those pallets are made for shipping purposes only (cheap wood). The vibration from the pallet will cause leaks and cracks on joints, there is also a sign on the compressor that says it should be removed from the pallet.
Thanks for the heads up, I have some solid hardwood slabs & will replace with one of those.

Reactions: Frank@Alkin