• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Official Thread - Alkin owners - check in!

What version alkin did you purchase?

• Auto

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • Manual

Votes: 19 61.3%

• Total voters
Last edited:
Reactions: GA_LeadHead
Okay, I've got another question. What is your prefered method of shutdown once you reach desired fill pressure?

Alkin video shows steps in this order: Turn off alkin, then close tank. Then hose/connection lever, remove tank. Then open moisture and filter drains. Then release pressure in hose by throwing lever back up. Done.

I've seen others say to close tank while it's still running then to open all the drains and let it drain and 'cool down' a few minutes before shutting off.

I would think the alkin method would be fine and that this machine is tough enough to power off while still under pressure.

What do you guys do?

Thanks.

Shut Down Procedure.......
Once fill pressure is reached...Shut Down the Alkins
Then close tank valve
Now Flip Alkin's fill valve handle to close valve and vent air between valve and tank.
Bleed the moisture traps and purifier of any moisture.
With the fill valve still closed, turn on compressor.
Now squirt about 15 to 20 mls of compressor oil into the Air intake.
Run for about 1 minute, open bleeder on the traps and purifier.
Shut all valves, let compressor run a couple of seconds to build up a little pressure,
shut down compressor, open fill lever to expel pressure in hose.
Close fill valve, put cover on compressor

Stuart

M
Shut Down Procedure.......
Once fill pressure is reached...Shut Down the Alkins
Then close tank valve
Now Flip Alkin's fill valve handle to close valve and vent air between valve and tank.
Bleed the moisture traps and purifier of any moisture.
With the fill valve still closed, turn on compressor.
Now squirt about 15 to 20 mls of compressor oil into the Air intake.
Run for about 1 minute, open bleeder on the traps and purifier.

Shut all valves, let compressor run a couple of seconds to build up a little pressure,
shut down compressor, open fill lever to expel pressure in hose.

Close fill valve, put cover on compressor

Stuart

@Ca_Varminter The process you detailed above seems a bit excessive. Where exactly did you obtain this information? I’m particularly curious about the bit involving squirting “about 15 to 20 mLs of compressor oil into the Air intake.”

M

@Ca_Varminter The process you detailed above seems a bit excessive. Where exactly did you obtain this information? I’m particularly curious about the bit involving squirting “about 15 to 20 mLs of compressor oil into the Air intake.”
Per My Alkin's manual....squirting oil......
The rest my own doing....
It has kept my old timer running for 15 years...
Being excessive..Yes.. But I am an engineer...;The way I like it....
Stuart

Per My Alkin's manual....squirting oil......
The rest my own doing....
It has kept my old timer running for 15 years...
Being excessive..Yes.. But I am an engineer...;The way I like it....
Stuart
@Ca_Varminter You mentioned an “old timer.” Which model do you own? When you have time can you post a photo of the page in your manual instructing users to squirt oil into the intake? I’m wondering why that was done and what has changed, if anything, in the compressor design over the years where this (I assume) is no longer recommended. Yours has been running for 15 years? That’s a very promising testimonial to many new owners!!

Oops... I miss quoted my manual....
I should of typed 5-6 mls.......
Me Bad...
Yes I do the long term storage, since I don't run it daily....
20220921_140055.jpg

Stuart

Oops... I miss quoted my manual....
I should of typed 5-6 mls.......
Me Bad...
Yes I do the long term storage, since I don't run it daily....
20220921_140055.jpg

Stuart
@Ca_Varminter Thank you. I see it in the first column in step number 6. I also see where I was confused by your response. In post #104 @GA_LeadHead was asking about the steps that others used to shutdown their W31 compressor after filling a tank. Your response concerns preparation for and use after long-term storage (6 months or more). Thanks for helping me clear that up. The long-tern storage steps are on pgs. 28-29 of the newer manual (2021) and I don’t see any mention of squirting oil into the intake port. It does instruct users to place a cap over the intake port before putting into long-term storage to keep out dust (and fumes which is a little confusing). The way the sentence is worded concerning the dust cap is odd: “Place a dust cap at the intake port against the dust and fumes may enter” (p.29). I can only assume that the author meant to instruct users to cover the intake port with a dust cap.

Last edited:
Reactions: GA_LeadHead
@Ca_Varminter Thank you. I see it in the first column in step number 6. I also see where I was confused by your response. In post #104 @GA_LeadHead was asking about the steps that others used to shutdown their W31 compressor after filling a tank. Your response concerns preparation for and use after long-term storage (6 months or more). Thanks for helping me clear that up. The long-tern storage steps are on pgs. 28-29 of the newer manual (2021) and I don’t see any mention of squirting oil into the intake port.
No, actually it prepping for Long term storage....
Which I don't run my compressor for weeks...
I rather do a little more to insure most moisture has been removed.
And the oil is to coat the exposed part of the cylinders... Add Protection against moisture!!

Stuart

IF THE COMPRESSOR WILL NOT BE WORKING BUT STORED FOR A LONG TIME AND YOU CAN NOT DO PRECAUTIONS MENTIONED ABOVE, YOU NEED TO OPERATE THE COMPRESSOR AT LEAST TWICE A MONTH FOR 1 HOUR TO LUBRICATE INNER PARTS. IN FAILURE TO DO SO, THE OXIDIZATION MAY ARISE ON THE INNER PARTS AND CAUSE TROUBLE FOR THE OPERATOR AND COMPRESSOR DURING NEXT START-UP.

The above statement is out of the storage section. However, it is obvious to me, these compressors need to be run. The company thinks the compressors are being run a lot, and then if not you need to run it twice a month for an hour. I may be wrong, but I run mine 30 minutes a week. When I went to the shop, they were happy with that.