• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Official Thread - Alkin owners - check in!

What version alkin did you purchase?

• Auto

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Manual

Votes: 19 63.3%

• Total voters
I finally found the free time to fully unwrap my compressor today and I noticed Alkin has done away with the blue colored bits and pieces that I’ve seen on earlier models…everything is black and aluminum/stainless now… or perhaps those parts are options that I didn’t add to mine?

IMG_6987.jpeg

Last edited:
I used Brawler’s pics as an example of what I’m referring to… can anyone confirm what the two blue colored parts are? I assume these are the additional add-on options that I did not purchase?
Thanks
Your factory invoice should state which optional features are included. The full auto version sells for $4250. It appears that yours has auto shutoff but not autopurge. Autopurge omits the two moisture relief valves on the left side moisture separator tower.

Reactions: Hangtown-Shooter
Quick question: I’d like to change my oil and the owner’s manual suggests letting the compressor run for 5 minutes to warm up the oil before changing. Does this mean to just switch on the compressor and allow it to run without closing any of the valves and allowing pressure to build up?

This configuration in the verticle model ought to make changing the oil fun. Gotta keep it out of the areas below.
IMG_2034.jpeg

The manual says to use “a no. 17 wrench” to loosen the fill bolt and the drain plug.
IMG_2037.jpeg

What is a no. 17 wrench? I can tell you what it isn’t. It can’t mean a 17mm wrench.
IMG_2035.jpeg

I’m stumped.

Last edited:
Quick question: I’d like to change my oil and the owner’s manual suggests letting the compressor run for 5 minutes to warm up the oil before changing. Does this mean to just switch on the compressor and allow it to run without closing any of the valves and allowing pressure to build up?

This configuration in the verticle model ought to make changing the oil fun. Gotta keep it out of the areas below.
View attachment 386194

The manual says to use “a no. 17 wrench” to loosen the fill bolt and the drain plug.
View attachment 386203

What is a no. 17 wrench? I can tell you what it isn’t. It can’t mean a 17mm wrench.
View attachment 386200

Nor does it appear to be a 19mm wrench
View attachment 386202

I’m stumped.
Not to be a wise guy, did you try 18 mm? I can’t recall what wrench I used, perhaps SAE? Check my last post in the other Alkin thread for a spill free oil change.

Last edited:
Sooooo I’ve watched a couple of videos on changing the media in the W31 air purifier on the Alkin YouTube channel. Below is the video with the best image resolution.

In both videos Aydin is using Vaseline to lube the o-rings in the air purifier tower. I broke out a jar of silicone grease to lubricate mine, but after seeing this I’m unsure if petroleum jelly and silicone grease are safe to use together. Anyone have any input here?

I was always told to make sure the gaskets or o-rings in this case are safe to use with petroleum based products, I just bought oil, air filter, and purifier media as well and I'm curious to know as well. I would think if Aydin is just using vaseline that would be fine. I have seen him use vaseline when lubing other o-rings too.
I want to know if it’s safe to use silicone grease and petroleum jelly together. I may just use Vaseline myself since that’s already what’s on there.

Well folks, i got my annual maintenance reminder last week. Went n checked my hours... i got a whoppin 3.9 hours in one year. I shot more last year than i ever have, and air was never a worry. I can top off all my tanks in less than 20 minutes now. Best $ i ever spent. If it all burned up in a fire tomorrow, and i had to start my hobby over from scratch, the first thing I'd replace would be my Alkin. It's the heart of it all.

Reactions: Skydivingmiami
I'm at 6 hours. Decided to do the annual oil change and desiccant change. Pretty simple maintenance- just need a good funnel so you don't get oil everywhere when filling. Such a good compressor.
@Skydivingmiami How’d your old oil look after you drained it? Did you put 6 hours on your unit in a single year? What sort of desiccant media did you use to replace what was originally in the purifier tower?

I was thinking about my compressor today. So glad I made the purchase when I did. I asked a ton of questions, did the leg work, and pulled the trigger before the price increases. Then we have threads like this one to help us better understand and maintain our compressors.

I have a sneaking suspicion my 2004 model with 58 hours on it is on borrowed time. The actual motor is putting out a sound I’ve never heard of before, my guess is a bearing going south.
@Bigragu And from what I recall support from the manufacturer for your older model has been pretty spotty, correct? Do you think that a bearing issue is something that you can fix? Can you describe the unusual sound it’s making?

@Skydivingmiami How’d your old oil look after you drained it? Did you put 6 hours on your unit in a single year? What sort of desiccant media did you use to replace what was originally in the purifier tower?

I was thinking about my compressor today. So glad I made the purchase when I did. I asked a ton of questions, did the leg work, and pulled the trigger before the price increases. Then we have threads like this one to help us better understand and maintain our compressors.
My oil was about 2 years old. the oil was changed once after breakin, so it had about 5 hours - it doesn't take much to fill a couple tanks with this machine, so the hours don't really rack up. My old oil was golden brown(more on the brown side). Still had life left in It, but I decided to just change it. The desiccant came from Alkin, wanted to freshen up the desiccant just incase. had a refill kit on hand, what a pita to recharge it. A little confusing as there were so many different layers and a tube inside the actual filter that needs to be removed. Finally got it after about an hour or so with fiddling with the washers that go inside it to lay flat. Next time I'll probably just get a replacement pack, I know aftermarket versions are sold also

I have a sneaking suspicion my 2004 model with 58 hours on it is on borrowed time. The actual motor is putting out a sound I’ve never heard of before, my guess is a bearing going south.
hmm, that's not a good thing. I think they sell kits to rebuild. or at least they should have the parts to replace that bearing before it does come apart.