# Of Squirrels In My Yard, Experiment

# 5 , 3:30pm Sunday. 
EA232C09-9B8F-47CF-B199-DB7AB7ABB7A8.1633905849.jpeg

Squirrels will chew on anything. If you’ve ever known anyone personally, who had squirrels in their house, likely in their attic, ask them about it?

They will absolutely destroy the attic. And unless you hear them, and then they have babies…You’ve now got a half a dozen animals crapping And peeing all over your ceiling, and you don’t even know it. And then they get down between the walls. That’s when they chew on insulation, and the house burns down.

When I use the word attic, I am not referring to an actual attic that you have access to from your house. Up north most of the houses have a cold roof, which is just an area inside the attic that’s full of insulation wiring etc. it is not part of the living area.

Then you have to get rid of them. You can try shooting them while they’re in the attic, with a low powered Airgun. That doesn’t work all that great. So then there’s trapping…while they’re still crapping, And it’s soaking into the insulation and ceiling.

Poison works well, unless they die in your attic and you don’t find them. Or they die in your yard and your dog finds them.

This happened to a friend of mine. He’s an air gun guy. He controlled the squirrels in his yard. Plus he had a dog that wanted to get every squirrel that it ever saw, and once in a while would actually catch one. Now he has a crappy ceiling.

from my experience, in a residential neighborhood, the only real difference that shooting them makes… is that the ones that survive learn to fear your yard. 

Dogs help also.

A good Springer is the perfect suburban dispatch tool. Well done.

mike

My barber just asked me what he could do about squirrels that have invaded his attic. I told him he has to get on it ASAP because if they are still there by December, we may be roasting marshmallows as your house burns to the ground! I just took out two in my yard as I have worried about having these critters ripping off my shake shingles and living in the insulation holes. They seem to be harmless, but they aren't, and they need to be dealt with accordingly. 

Monday Oct 11, Today I thought I’d switch guns. My Benjamin P-rod is my nighttime pesting gun. I thought it would be nice to shoot it during daylight without all the nigh vision junk on it. I got home. Filled the bird feeder. Got into the house. I always double check my zero. But I have limited time to do this because my shooting range faces the setting sun. I shoot through one mag. Go and top of my air. Settle down to take a few more shots. And there is squirrel #6 , 5:15pm , 22 yards, taken with a JSB Hades 15.89 (16.2 actually) traveling at about 630 FPS. 
B4B6B11E-2CCE-407A-80BB-F173BF46DCD8.1633999431.jpeg

If you’re referring to that little guy on the top of the page, that sure looks like a red squirrel to me. Totally different breed, totally different action. They are the squirrels on speed. Our reds don’t have tails that long though. 

Dude, if you’re shooting that many squirrels, that often, there are so many squirrels around you.

mike

our reds below:

2B5DDBFA-091E-476C-B14A-0889C5B941D7.1634003230.jpeg

Just fyi, The squirrels around here learn fast. They also run fast, if they survive. If I so much as crack a window, whatever I was cracking it for is usually long gone.

At this university we grade on a pass fail system.

The model 34 may be one of the very top best all around suburban critter gitters. Not overpowered, not too loud, excellent trigger. It’s awesome to watch a guy go to work with a springer.

mike

Monday October 18. It’s been a week since I’ve seen any squirrels. But I should note. I was out of town for the last three days. Well this morning after putting out bird seed. At 8:30 am. I seen a new squirrel. It was definitely on alert. Standing up on its hind legs on top of a retaining wall. I was not set up to shoot. And as of right now it has not made its way to my bird feeder. I’m thinking about holding off on shooting this one. Well for now that is. I think I will wait for a while. See if more show up. I’m contemplating just shooting one a month or maybe one a week. I don’t have too many pesting opportunities. Mice and rats are under control. Im lucky to get one a month. Starlings almost never come into my yard. And I’ve never had English Sparrows visit.

Monday October 18. It’s been a week since I’ve seen any squirrels. But I should note. I was out of town for the last three days. Well this morning after putting out bird seed. At 8:30 am. I seen a new squirrel. It was definitely on alert. Standing up on its hind legs on top of a retaining wall. I was not set up to shoot. And as of right now it has not made its way to my bird feeder. I’m thinking about holding off on shooting this one. Well for now that is. I think I will wait for a while. See if more show up. I’m contemplating just shooting one a month or maybe one a week. I don’t have too many pesting opportunities. Mice and rats are under control. Im lucky to get one a month. Starlings almost never come into my yard. And I’ve never had English Sparrows visit.

HAHAHAHa.......I'm in the same boat as you! All the pests have been wise at staying away from my house/yard. If I drive a few blocks down the neighborhood grounds and fox squirrels are EVERYWHERE! 

HAHAHAHa.......I'm in the same boat as you! All the pests have been wise at staying away from my house/yard. If I drive a few blocks down the neighborhood grounds and fox squirrels are EVERYWHERE!

Haha. Yeah that’s the way it is for me with starlings and English Sparrows. 

I started shooting squirrels in my backyard last December. Not too long after getting my first PCP. I've killed 17 so far. The population coming to my yard is definitely down. I haven't put the bird feeder out yet but will soon. I shoot them at up to 25-30 yards and have not been completely successful hitting them in the head. They move too much and I rarely get to shoot them from a bench. Mostly standing using a porch post for support or through a upper window standing using the window frame for support. I increased the velocity of my Prod - my first PCP - up a little over 700 with H&N FTT and they now drop with any reasonable shot placement. Body shots at the original 13-14 fpe were iffy.

I have not had any get into the house but one of the first I shot was chewing on my gutters. They have to chew something hard to wear down their incisors.

Cleaning squirrels is a bit of a chore, hoping to get better with practice, but they are pretty tasty if you go to the trouble and cook them long enough - about 30 minutes. Seems like a long time for a small animal but they are tough if you don't simmer them awhile.

JimD ,

if you put up that bird feeder. They will sit still for you. Then zero your gun at that spot. Then head shots are easy. I will admit I have missed two. One was on the feeder the other was scurrying around on the ground. I have no excuses for missing the one on the feeder. But the one on the ground I should have waited for it to go to the feeder. 

JimD ,

if you put up that bird feeder. They will sit still for you. Then zero your gun at that spot. Then head shots are easy. I will admit I have missed two. One was on the feeder the other was scurrying around on the ground. I have no excuses for missing the one on the feeder. But the one on the ground I should have waited for it to go to the feeder.

We all missed many times but with time and practice we will miss less, much less! Highly recommend Hades at 600-700fps, absolutely wrecks them and deadly accurate.