• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Events Oct 5th 2022 Xtreme Field Target NIGHT MATCH!!! (EBR Week)

I'm with Pesty3782 " good practice " offhand @100 is TUFF ! Took 13 trys !......... oh wait thats my 10yard card LOL
20220730_170851.jpg

I’m just curios, does the darkness add much of or any difficulty seeing how the targets are going to be illuminated? I have never shot a night match. I’m really looking forward to it. Further on the difficulty line of thought would there be maybe a 3-4 hardens level out of 10? I would hate for all the great shooters we will have out there just to easily clean the course. Derrick being one of those shooters. No pressure big guy! 😁

As for the 5$ pot to do the stander I’ll throw in my money. Why not? It’s for a good cause right!? 🤣🤪

I’m just curios, does the darkness add much of or any difficulty seeing how the targets are going to be illuminated? I have never shot a night match. I’m really looking forward to it. Further on the difficulty line of thought would there be maybe a 3-4 hardens level out of 10? I would hate for all the great shooters we will have out there just to easily clean the course. Derrick being one of those shooters. No pressure big guy! 😁

As for the 5$ pot to do the stander I’ll throw in my money. Why not? It’s for a good cause right!? 🤣🤪

I don't think it adds much difficulty but I've had a lot of shooting in the dark experiences. Not field target but I grew up on a ranch and both sets of grandparents were ranchers so I've spent some time in the dark........ahhh, reducing species ranchers view as pests.

My 9 year old son (Colben) didn't seem to be bothered by the dark much either, and he hadnt done any prior shooting at night.

I think a minimal amount of muscle memory pointing a gun is helpful. Some people can look at a target, get a gun to their shoulder and have their target at least in scope view.....and some cannot. Being able to get the CORRECT target in the scope is maybe the only thing that might be more difficult at night. I say that cuz every target out there is a point of light, and you can't follow the rope to the correct target like you can in the daytime. Me and Colben were taking turns wiggling the rope a bit while the other one was looking through the scope. You can see the rope attached to the lower section of the faceplate and it's in scope view, so if somebody in your squad will wiggle the rope for the target you're wanting to shoot, it'll keep you from scoring a miss by shooting at the wrong target.

When you have the target in the scope at night though, man o man are things clear. In daytime shooting, it's rare for the sun to shine directly at the vertical surface you're shooting at (paper or field target faceplate). The sun is usually shining down from above and so there's often at least some degree of shadow or degree of shade. BUT at night? those lights are shining directly on the faceplate. You can see every tiny little detail. Maye it's my weird eye disease but at night I feel like the scope view is an exquisitely detailed and simply surreal experience. You'll see the lead dust/vapor cloud that is created when the pellet impacts the target. And sometimes the lighting is right to catch a glimpse of the pellet in the air, arcing down into the kill zone. Very cool.

Where things are maybe a bit more difficult is the management of the things we take for granted during the day. If you're a turret clicker, you'll have to flash some light on there to make sure you're dialed right. If you're a single feed shooter, you'll need a flash of light to make sure the pellet is headed into the barrel head first. Scorers need some light to see the scorecard. If you forgot where you put your magazine or your pellets......get that personal light out to dig through your baby carriage/gear transporter. Was that sound a rattlesnake?!?!?! Quick flash of the light around the feet to calm the heartbeats down. lol. And no, we didn't see any rattlesnakes during the night match, and I haven't seen one in any of the 10-15 daytime matches I've attended at this location.

It is quite the experience-tons of fun.

I don't think it adds much difficulty but I've had a lot of shooting in the dark experiences. Not field target but I grew up on a ranch and both sets of grandparents were ranchers so I've spent some time in the dark........ahhh, reducing species ranchers view as pests.

My 9 year old son (Colben) didn't seem to be bothered by the dark much either, and he hadnt done any prior shooting at night.

I think a minimal amount of muscle memory pointing a gun is helpful. Some people can look at a target, get a gun to their shoulder and have their target at least in scope view.....and some cannot. Being able to get the CORRECT target in the scope is maybe the only thing that might be more difficult at night. I say that cuz every target out there is a point of light, and you can't follow the rope to the correct target like you can in the daytime. Me and Colben were taking turns wiggling the rope a bit while the other one was looking through the scope. You can see the rope attached to the lower section of the faceplate and it's in scope view, so if somebody in your squad will wiggle the rope for the target you're wanting to shoot, it'll keep you from scoring a miss by shooting at the wrong target.

When you have the target in the scope at night though, man o man are things clear. In daytime shooting, it's rare for the sun to shine directly at the vertical surface you're shooting at (paper or field target faceplate). The sun is usually shining down from above and so there's often at least some degree of shadow or degree of shade. BUT at night? those lights are shining directly on the faceplate. You can see every tiny little detail. Maye it's my weird eye disease but at night I feel like the scope view is an exquisitely detailed and simply surreal experience. You'll see the lead dust/vapor cloud that is created when the pellet impacts the target. And sometimes the lighting is right to catch a glimpse of the pellet in the air, arcing down into the kill zone. Very cool.

Where things are maybe a bit more difficult is the management of the things we take for granted during the day. If you're a turret clicker, you'll have to flash some light on there to make sure you're dialed right. If you're a single feed shooter, you'll need a flash of light to make sure the pellet is headed into the barrel head first. Scorers need some light to see the scorecard. If you forgot where you put your magazine or your pellets......get that personal light out to dig through your baby carriage/gear transporter. Was that sound a rattlesnake?!?!?! Quick flash of the light around the feet to calm the heartbeats down. lol. And no, we didn't see any rattlesnakes during the night match, and I haven't seen one in any of the 10-15 daytime matches I've attended at this location.

It is quite the experience-tons of fun.
One other thing I would add. The eye box/parallax of your scope is a lot harder to define at night. So while you are practicing get in the habit of moving your head slightly for any parallax corrections that might be needed. The night hides the blurring or shadowing around the edges of the scope.

Reactions: okieairgunner
I say “Good practice”. The next few days at EBR will have the pressure, so let’s have some fun with this night shoot…

Tony P
I am going to want all groups to strongly enforce timers. This is mainly due to the VERY late finish time of the second squad. So it is very important that the first squad take as close to 12 mins per lane as possible. Yes, I realize switching positions will also take time but be efficient and discuss it with those you are shooting with. This may also help shooters be less likely to panic under the timer pressure at EBR.

09/25 update: There will not be a second relay on Oct 5th night match. Ben learned from last nights match that his lights only have 4hrs of run-time. In order to prevent having lights start dying while the second relay is trying to finish, he has decided to cut it down to a max of 36 shooters, all in the first relay. 12 lanes, 3 shooters per lane. Practiscore has been updated to reflect the correct 8 more available slots for shooters.

Reactions: okieairgunner
Some news Ben asked me to share.....

For the Oct night match there will be a raffle held for one of his targets. The raffle prize is a brand-new, never-been-shot, full-size/high-power, Xtreme Field Target. We've been blasting away at these for over 2 years, some shooters up to 80-90fpe with .30s as close as 30 yards and have not had a broken target yet. They are heavy duty but still easily reset, and most important, RELIABLE. Must be a registered shooters to enter the raffle.

5$ per raffle ticket, or 5 tickets for $20
Everyone who buys a ticket will also get a discount card worth 10% off an order of 4 or more targets.

Ben says he is also going to set up one of the targets on the small bore range, at the practice/sight in area. Shooters can shoot at this during sight in to see how they function and operate, etc. This target will also be used for any potentially necessary shoot-offs (to break ties) after everybody turns in their scores. He told me he won't be surprised by ties since he's going up on the kill zone sizes a bit for this match.

The raffle prize target will also be there on the small bore range for inspection, etc. It will be located along the firing line/overhead cover and shooters will have a chance to give it the ole once over, up close and personal.

Ben spent the evening at the range, shining up target paddles and making sure everything is in order for next week.
Screenshot_20220928-184619.png

Screenshot_20220928-184639.png

Screenshot_20220928-184720.png

Screenshot_20220928-184701.png

Sounds like Wayne, Mike and Jesse are going to paint face plates on Friday. I understand new shooter Jesse is an artist so I'm kinda excited to see what the painting crew come up with. My buddy Rex over in NM is a taxidermist and the detail he puts into painting targets for his sub20fpe matches is insane. Lots of respect from me for the talent the artistic types possess. And it's also really fun to shoot a well-painted target!

Sunset from Phoenix Rod and Gun Club this evening.
Screenshot_20220928-184557.png

Last edited:
Some photos from the paint party..
20221002_172550.jpg

20221002_172736.jpg

IMG_20221002_172027.jpg

Looks like the paint crew took some inspiration from Jackson Pollack. Should be some fun stuff to look at through the scope.

That elk has a pretty smug expression, just begging to be shot if you ask me.
The look on the pdogs face just about matches their real-life intelligence level.

I also think I see some experimentation, perhaps some glow in the dark paint on the kill zone reducers on a couple targets?

There's also a couple new targets in the mix. I think the cowboy is my favorite new one.

Huge thank you to the guys who showed up to paint up the targets all purdy for us. We'll do our best to mess it all up with pellets in a few nights!!!

On a different note, registration is now closed/full. There are 36 registered shooters so we'll be squadded in groups of 3.

Should be a hoot!

Try and get there a little early for sighting in/ checking your dope. We also have some show-and-tell stuff. Since we have alot of new never shot before at night shooters. We will be spending more time in the shooter's meeting. Please pay attention, it is important for our safety. DO NOT uncase any guns until given the ok. Especially NO uncasing at your vehicle. Casing and uncasing is only done at the firing line (small bore range). PS the raffle tickets for the NEW covid target and the 100-yard off-hand challenge will be cash only. 5$ for the challenge,money collected for the challenge will go back to the shooters. The raffle tickets for the target will be 5$ each or 5 for 20$. Must be present to win. Only shooters and spectators can win this target. We may have some hats for purchase also.

Reactions: Centercut
Try and get there a little early for sighting in/ checking your dope. We also have some show-and-tell stuff. Since we have alot of new never shot before at night shooters. We will be spending more time in the shooter's meeting. Please pay attention, it is important for our safety. DO NOT uncase any guns until given the ok. Especially NO uncasing at your vehicle. Casing and uncasing is only done at the firing line (small bore range). PS the raffle tickets for the NEW covid target and the 100-yard off-hand challenge will be cash only. 5$ for the challenge,money collected for the challenge will go back to the shooters. The raffle tickets for the target will be 5$ each or 5 for 20$. Must be present to win. Only shooters and spectators can win this target. We may have some hats for purchase also.
What time would work best Ben?