Ocean Gate Implosion like our carbon fiber tanks

The amount of stored energy is staggering.
I am actually left feeling much more secure about my tanks and their use. This was a test of a tank with a large "notch" (described at 4:50 in the video) 1/2 way through the carbon fiber and it still held to 3 times the use pressure. These tanks have a very very low likelihood of failure under normal use with normal care.

I would like to see pictures of the described notch. Was this deliberately created for the test or did it happen in use?

Reactions: Geezerhood
2.5 miles down is 400 atmospheres, that’s around 5800 psi. There is a reason they only send unmanned vessels down that far. Rush was playing Russian roulette with his life and those who dared to go with him. I’m sorry for the loss of life and the grief it has caused the families, hopefully, a lesson can be learned from this tragic accident that will save lives in the future.

Carbon composites is very very strong in tension but not in compression. I've tested a .500 wide by.040 thick tensile and it took around 7000 lbs of tension to make it fail. In compression it's way way less. Dang sometimes, can't remember what I use to get. The CEO also stopped at 5 inches thick when it was suppose to be 7 inches thick. It might have actually been okay at the 7 inches but carbon composites was not the right choice for a sub.