N/A O-ring STORAGE & life span

I read a post about this in the past but cannot find it.
I'd like to know the best way to store O-rings, and their expected lifespan in storage, please.

I imagine this will vary with the type of material of the O-ring
The types I use most are:
buna, viton, & polyurethane

Thanks
Edward
They definitely have a shelf life and was thinking the same thing. I will probably vacuum seal them lubed.

Without a doubt @Air Honda & @Ta-Ta-Toothie air & dryness are enemies.
I'm about to order from The O-ring Store and some "minimum quantities" are more than I need for the tasks at hand
Your small baggie/silicone oil method seems like a good idea.
The question remains:
For how long?

Thank you both
Edward

I also believe that they are better off without light ("stay away from the light"). I'm certain that someone here will come along with all of the answers....
Elastomer and O-Ring Shelf Life Recommendation Summary with Proper Storage:
Experience demonstrates that storage conditions impact the useful life of O-rings than generalized shelf life time. SAE-ARP5316 is the most widely referenced guide for data recording procedures, packaging, and storing of aerospace elastomeric seals. Previously MIL-HDBK-695E and MIL-STD-1523A were also references. SAE-ARP5316 and Industry shelf life recommendations:
1709410807640.png

• Store without stretch or tension including hanging
  • Store free from compression or deformation
  • Dry contamination free environment less than 25°C (77°F) and 75% humidity
  • Protect from direct sun and artificial light, UV and other radiation
  • Protect from ozone (generated from some electrical devices)

Mike

The only advice I can give besides what was mentioned above is to mark your labels with the o-ring sizes. Depending on where you get them, the labels are printed on thermal paper which fades over time. I even started a thread awhile back about it.

Reactions: bf1956
I have a small parts bin with a drawer that I have been stashing spare o rings in for the past 30 years. I quit turning wrenches in 2011, so that shoul tell you the approximate age of the younges o rings in that bin.

When I need an o ring, I go out in my non air conditioned or heated shop and dig through that bin until I find one that will work. To this day, I have never pulled one out that was dried out, cracked, or deteriorated. I am not saying that it cant happen, but keep them out of direct sunlight and dont expose them to chemicals and they tend to keep pretty well.

Reactions: Berserkeley Mike
Store them in a nicely labeled baggy away from dramatic temp changes and light.

Do not vacuum seal them. Even with that mild amount of pressure, it will deform them over time.
Do not store them in any grease or other fluids. That is completely unnecessary and will likely only serve to decrease the shelf life depending on the material.

For non-life-critical applications (airguns ;) ) they will outlive you when it comes to usable shelf life. Don't overthink it.