• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.
I'm not sure if the NYS regulators can react after their knee jerk gun restrictions because:
"Technology" developed by innovative engineers will find a way.
1660858711256.png

Hey man - I'm in Upstate. Nothing should effect airguns. Its CCW and ammunition background checks mostly. I'm not a lawyer, but there are very few state level statutes dealing with airguns outside of big game hunting restrictions. All the airgun related restrictions are city/county ordinances.

In regards to the imitation guns needing specific coloring, I don't think that applies here either. The only exceptions MIGHT be the Umarex clones or other airguns that are specifically modeled after firearms. But I'm not even sure if it effects those...

I will be relocating because of this BS. Tired of funding my own oppression.

Last edited:
I’m hearing as of September 1 background checks to buy ammo would that include pellets and slugs
No - pellets/slugs are not considered ammunition for firearms and there is a legal distinction from what I understand. It's the same thing as LDC's/moderators which would be NFA items if they were designed for firearms.

Also, virtually all ammo retailers I do business with have sent notices to NY customers. Haven't heard anything from PA, AGD, UA, or AOA.

I could be wrong...but I don't think so.

NY sucks. I've lived on Long Island all my 57 years of life and the downstate area is becoming such a ship hole that I'm taking a hit to retire early just to get out of there.

The town im retiring to next year has 929 people in it. I have that many on my street in New York. The few people in my new area are nice, considerate and take personal responsibility for their behavior and situation. Imagine that! Make sure you vote progressive this November so you too can enjoy the likes of NY.

Air rifles are not firearms and should not be affected by any of these new laws.
It all depends on how the NY law defines “Fire Arms”. Note that NJ included airguns in their definition and so can NY. I don’t think it’s a good idea to get comfortable with the opinion that they aren’t fire arms… because politicians/legislators can change that with the stroke of the proverbial pen.

-Marty

Last edited:
Air rifles are not firearms and should not be affected by any of these new laws.
This isn't technically correct. The legal definition of a firearm may change depending on the jurisdiction you are in and what context you're talking about.

My county defines air rifles that shoot over 600 FPS as a "firearm" so that the "cannot be discharged within 500 yds of a residential dwelling" statute applies. They are exempt from most other firearm laws since they obviously aren't firearms in any sense of the word.

Last edited:
This isn't technically correct. The legal definition of a firearm may change depending on the jurisdiction you are in and what context you're talking about.

My county defines air rifles that shoot over 600 FPS as a "firearm" so that the "cannot be discharged within 500 yds of a residential dwelling" statute applies. They are exempted from most other firearm laws since they obviously aren't firearms in sense of the word.
Exactly right, several states have added air rifles to their definition of firearms. Don't be confused by the Alphabet org transfer laws, which do not includ air guns. State and and municipal legislators can do whatever they want.

Exactly right, several states have added air rifles to their definition of firearms. Don't be confused by the 3 letter organization transfer laws, which do not includ air guns. State and and municipal legislators can do whatever they want.
The "three letter organization" is, of course Alphabet org, which is how I wrote it. Why that was edited out is beyond my understanding. If it was done by a moderator, I would like an explanation.

Reactions: darylm

My county defines air rifles that shoot over 600 FPS as a "firearm" so that the "cannot be discharged within 500 yds of a residential dwelling" statute applies. They are exempt from most other firearm laws since they obviously aren't firearms in any sense of the word.
No, it’s absolutely correct. Just because some idiot bureaucrat calls an airgun a “firearm” doesn’t make it true.

No, it’s absolutely correct. Just because some idiot bureaucrat calls an airgun a “firearm” doesn’t make it true.
Yes it does...they have enforcement capabilities and literally decide what the legal definition of things are.

Obviously airguns aren't firearms. But show up in court and tell them their definition doesn't apply and see what happens.

Yes it does...they have enforcement capabilities and literally decide what the legal definition of things are.

Obviously airguns aren't firearms. But show up in court and tell them their definition doesn't apply and see what happens.
A legal definition is a statist construct. It is not a fact nor a truth. So drumie was correct, an airgun ISN’T a firearm.