Airforce NSA vs. Mr.hollowpoint .457

@Llama Try running another search, no filters necessary. I ran a search after reading your original post that you copied and pasted from the “Projectile” forum. I saw a good amount of recent input.

Edit: I’m pretty decent at finding info in the forums. If you have questions about better utilizing the AGN search features, PM me and I’ll try to help you out.

Last edited:
Reactions: trlrman
Of course, it depends on the distance, but as a general rule, swaged slugs are almost always more accurate than casted bullets because of how they are made. No air bubbles and swaged slugs are more consistent in overall.

However, the distances in hunting with an air gun are usually quite short and the hits are not as precisely placed as in some bench rest shooting, so both will surely do their thing.
Buy a small batch of both and try what the difference is, for example, if you shoot both at a target at 50 yards. In this case, the correct diameter is certainly more important

NSA vs. Mr.hollowpoint .457

I was just wondering if anybody has shot and compared these two bullets for hunting any information would be great Yes I've already ran the search bar and filters here everything that I found has been 2 to 3 years back I'd like current information

I have a Texan .457 LSS coming
I’m a new air gun deer hunter and wondering cast or swage projectiles I’m told by one person swage more accurate and by another cast opens up more and knocks them done any expierence out there

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
For 99 percent of big bores out there have rough barrels and the least of the problems is cast vs swage accuracy. Finding the right diameter for the bore..correct lube ...and lastly but very important is a clean bore with no Leading..... Yes Swage slugs like NSA are more consistent in manufacturing.... On the flip side ...some of us are getting extreme accuracy with home made cast slugs in a variety of different mold and lubing systems..including powder coating.... If I were buying slugs I'd buy NSA for big bores.....I'm too poor to buy big bore slugs...Pure lead cost me $1.00 a pound.... So $1.00 makes me roughly 16 .510 diameter 460 grain slugs...One pound of powder coat does a lifetime supply of slugs👍

I contacted NSA and asked which slug would perform the best out of a AT LSS CF in .457 for feral hogs and armadillos.

NSA recommended the 298gr Knurled Hollow Point Boat Tails for hogs and the 240gr for armadillos.

I ordered a few hundred rounds of each, but have only used the 298's for hunting. I sighted in my thermal scope at 50 yards using the 298's utilizing a tripod as that is what I will be using while hunting. I am far from the best shot, but was able to get 1.5" groups consistently.

I usually shoot hogs in the neck which drops them instantly, and the loud THWACK upon impact is tremendous.

When armadillos get hit with the 298gr HP-BT's, it ain't purdy.

@Ezana4CE -

When I head out at night to hunt, I load a .457 in case my first customer is a 350# hog. It is also extremely dark along my trails as there is a canopy of trees above that block most of the starlight. Therefore, after I shoot and need to reload in the dark, I chose to carry just one type of slug to avoid loading the wrong weight for the wrong customer.

Most of my shots for pigs are 25 yards or less. For armadillos it can be 50 yards or 50 inches.

The one I shot last night was 8' away. What a mess............

I can only imagine the mess that splatters back towards you hitting them with a heavy .45 slug.

Actually, with armadillos, if I hit them in the shell, its the opposite side that explodes.

My biggest PCP mistake so far was to shoot a Timber Rattlesnake that I almost stepped on in the pitch dark from three feet away. I had to aim way down to hit it and the blast from the muzzle / moderator threw up a large cloud of sand that got into my eyes.

@MAUMAU I shot one last summer I think or maybe the summer before. If it didn’t rattle I wouldn’t have seen it. A four footer and it could’ve been ugly. It was also in proximity to young livestock. I shot it about 4-6 times with a Prod. At the time I didn’t know they were protected in Texas. I have an older thread on it in the Hunting forum somewhere. Good to know about shooting close up with a .457 Texan kicking up dust in your face when the slug impacts the dirt.

Last edited:
Good to know about shooting close up with a .457 Texan kicking up dust in your face when the slug impacts the dirt.

I actually think the blast was from the holes on the sides of the moderator, like a muzzle brake.

I like snakes and really do not like dispatching them unless absolutely necessary. Killing venomous snakes is legal where I winter.

I walk this particular trail with my dogs a few times a day and noticed this 5' Timber Rattlesnake hanging out near a curve where he / she was difficult to monitor. I relocated this snake twice (3 miles away) and it always came back, so for the safety of my dogs, it had to go.

07E6158A-2802-4077-83CE-08381D65CD57.jpeg