• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

NSA slugs, why the flat or dished (concave) back side?

Matthias,

It's an ongoing process, I still haven't touched the tip of the iceberg, have many different nose, base, and weight variations to try yet. My best so far, is a 9.24 grain, 2S hollowpoint nose, with a cup base at just short of 12ftlb. Still a lot of experimenting to do. They just ruled over the winter, that slugs will not be allowed in AAFTA field target matches. That alone is a kick in the pants, but that won't stop me. Thanks for the kind words!!!

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Fieldtargettech.com 

They just ruled over the winter, that slugs will not be allowed in AAFTA field target matches
Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Fieldtargettech.com

I find that very unhelpful for the development of our sport..... 😖

Instead of outlawing it they could have instituted different classes for slug shooters....

But traditionalism is rooted deeply in the hearts of many — anything new is opposed on the basis that this is not what we have gotten used to.Instead of embracing the future and its increased opportunities for shooting better, farther, and more humanely.

Carry on, Tom. Don't get discouraged. Eventually, they will see the light. 👍🏼

Matthias

Scott,

As the WFTF rules currently stand, the way its worded, slugs ARE legal in WFTF competition. That's not to say that with all the advancements of slugs, liners and barrels, plus the high tech ways of delivering them, it'll stay that way. In the whole brew haha of the slug debate a while back, I just watched from the sidelines and kept my mouth shut. Already knew what would come of it before it was decided. The argument that slugs have more retained energy downrange, and would go farther is BS. 12 ft.lbs is 12ftlbs, and 20 ftlbs is 20 ftlbs. They talk like it's going to keep going forever, and go through brick walls. If the weather permits, I will prove that entire theory wrong with ballistic gel. 

As far as when WFTF comes to the US for the World Championships in the future, if I have a slug that will perform the way I want to for Field Target use, you can bet yer sweet ass I'll use them.......unless they ban them as well.

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Fieldtargettech.com 

Hey Tom, I saw on Corbin's site that they had a guide for slug bases including hollow bases. What are your thoughts on these? It looks like the thickness of the skirt seems to have some sort of effect?

slugBases.1651440007.jpg

OC,

I didn't realize that there were that many hollow base skirt thicknesses. I do know that mine is Corbin reccomended .015. I wouldn't think that trying any of the other skirt thicknesses would have any great effect on the results that I have already proven, but you never know. Still have tons of experimenting and tinkering to do, so there's that.

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Fieldtargettech.com 

It amazes me that this is so hard to understand. I was thinking about how various base designs could be so inaccurate and I'm now wondering if its something to do at the moment it leaves the barrel. You know how a crown is so important with how air interacts with the base, and how folks try to take it further by using an "air stripper". It would be nice to get a high speed cam and see what is happening at that moment.