NSA Slugs vs Pellets in Hatsan Blitz .30

Hello, this is my first post. 

I wanted to share my findings testing pellets and slugs in my .30 Hatsan Blitz PCP rifle. I also want to briefly cover the difference in downrange energy produced by a heavier higher BC slug vs. pellet, which plays out at just about every caliber.

I've tested several NSA slugs (43 grn - 65grn) and the one that is most accurate is the 54.5 grn.

I've tested several pellets (too many to get into unless you really want that info) and the most accurate is the 50.2 grn JSB.

All tests were conducted starting at 250 BAR fill and using a chronograph. I live at roughly 6000 ft. above sea level.

The NSA 54.5 grn slug has a BC of 0.12 and is developing 55 FPE at 3 ft. from the muzzle (675 FPS), 51 FPE at 50 yards (649 FPS) and 49 FPE (636 FPS) at 75 yards.

The JSB pellet has a BC of .042 and is developing 56.2 FPE at 3 ft. from the muzzle (710 FPS), 45 FPE at 50 yards (634 FPS) and 40 FPE (600 FPS) at 75 yards.

As you can see the heavier NSA slugs with the higher BC is a more efficient. The crossover of power, where the 50.2 pellet is still carrying more power, is at roughly 5 yards. After that the heavier, higher BC pellet starts carrying more power.

I also like to look at time to target as a factor. After 5 yards the slug gets to target faster as it's simply moving faster. 

In terms of accuracy I'd say that both the JSB and the NSA slug are very accurate. Both are able to hold a 2" group at 50 yards.

In conclusion, depending on what you use your airgun for, a heavier, higher BC slug, that is accurate, is a better choice than a diabolo pellet over longer ranges.

Milehighguy

Sqwirlfugger57,

Not new but specific to anyone owning the Blitz. I don't shoot the Blitz with a scope. 

This is my "walking around" gun when I go out on 700 acres of property my buddy owns. All of my shooting is done between 15 & 40 yards or so and the Blitz does the job.

On full auto with measured quick trigger pulls I can put 4 slugs into 3" circle at 20 yards using a rest of some kind, it's devastating. However, 90% of my shooting is done on semi-auto. I can get 3 full magazines (48 shots) before my point of aim changes significantly and I need to refill. Since I use a hand pump to refill, it's about 300 pumps from my Hill pump.

As far as the price goes. I believe it's pricey because you can empty 16, .30 pellets or slugs into a target in about 1 second. Not many airguns can do that... For me it's worth every penny.

Milehighguy.

Reactions: paul67
Sqwirlfugger57,

Not new but specific to anyone owning the Blitz. I don't shoot the Blitz with a scope. 

This is my "walking around" gun when I go out on 700 acres of property my buddy owns. All of my shooting is done between 15 & 40 yards or so and the Blitz does the job.

On full auto with measured quick trigger pulls I can put 4 slugs into 3" circle at 20 yards using a rest of some kind, it's devastating. However, 90% of my shooting is done on semi-auto. I can get 3 full magazines (48 shots) before my point of aim changes significantly and I need to refill. Since I use a hand pump to refill, it's about 300 pumps from my Hill pump.

As far as the price goes. I believe it's pricey because you can empty 16, .30 pellets or slugs into a target in about 1 second. Not many airguns can do that... For me it's worth every penny.

Milehighguy.

Ok I understand now. 2" at 50 with irons is plenty good enough! Dumping 16 rounds in a second really doesn't do it for me but if thats your thing, by all means have fun with it dude! I just struggle to see the point of it honestly. I'm not hunting with a full auto thats for sure, and I sort of imagine blowing up watermelons gets old after awhile. To each their own though. Thanks for the post man. It was a fun read.

Reactions: FLPigSticker