NSA Slug Lubing

Been shooting the NSA 23 grain .218 dia slugs through my .22 cal. Impact as they gave me the best accuracy and fit my pesting needs. Those slugs I did eventually lube using some silicone after washing in some Dawn Dish liquid. I do feel lubing is good for reducing slug drag and keeping the barrel cleaner. Now that I got my .25 cal Crown Continuum and soon to have slug liner I plan to continue to use silicone lube. I have a variety of NSA slugs to test and they appear to have a hint of lube. Not sure if it is silicone or not but they appear very clean. Do you think I should wash them first and then lube or just roll them around a bit on the silicone treated foam in my pellet tin. Bill

I figure if they are pretty much clean when received like the NSA and VK slugs are then just lube them and shoot them. I have had excellent results with both slugs treating them this way.

Thanks for the reply. I can feel a little lube on them from the swaging process. I'm hoping adding some silicone to them without washing will be compatible. Bill

NSA seems to runs pretty clean operation, with very little, if any, lead specs or flecks from manufacturing so they should not need washing. I stand mine up on end and spray with aerosol silicon lube. Some silicon lube is better than others. WD-40 has an oily base and dries slower but works pretty well. Because of the laws regarding teflon coated bullets in some states, be careful which silicon lube you use as most have teflon added but don't necessarily advertise it boldly as a selling point.

The two batches of the new high speed machine slugs I've received have had a lot of lead fragments floating around in the bag!

I'm not complaining because the price and quality are definitely worth the time to clean them up first before lubing and I've been using Slick 50 one lube on my small bore stuff with awesome results. 

Something else I'm going to try is the Shooters Choice FP-10 as a barrel treatment. First one is going to be my .45 Texan and still use silicone on the slugs themselves. 

James from Michigan 

I did after all wash my slugs in warm water and Dawn dish liquid just to make sure I was not mixing two types of lube together. I did find a few lead fragment but as said no problem there. Just finished indexing my Crown slug barrel and chronographing my various test slugs. Shot my first group with the .25 cal. 29.0 grain HP DB at an 43 yard zero distance and got a nice tight cloverleaf group. Bill