NSA 38.9 new lube?

Received a couple more boxes of the 38.9 for my continued testing trying to get them to shoot out of the Maverick… opened the box and found some new lube - at least new to me - graphite maybe? Came off on my fingers. Ive not bought slugs since late summer so maybe this is nothing new. The .217 23gr I recd did not have this (very dark) lube. 

So I thought I better try them even though it was 27°F - they shot quite well actually. The best 50 yard groups I’ve had with 38.9’s so far. Not quite up to the 36.2 but definitely an improvement. I’ll try them with the fx harmonic barrel tuner thingy tomorrow if weather allows.

We do not use Moly!

The dark color is from tumbling the flashing off. I have made adjustments to the process so they are not so dark. Does not effect shooting but the brighter color looks better.

Here is our process:

We swage the slugs which uses a lubricant that the flashing sticks to. We tumble the slugs in a special tumbler to knock off flashing. Then they go into a washing system at 140 deg F which helps to remove the lubricant and as much swarf we can from the swage process.

Out of the washing system they are put onto drying racks. Once dry they go into another tumbler where silicone lubricant is applied and tumbled to make even on the slugs.

After lubricant they go into our automatic bagging machine to be bagged. The reason no more ziplock is they do not make a resealable bag for the bagging machine. The machine counts the bullets, drops into the bag and then it seals the bag and they slide down the shoot. Bagging machine is as fast as 3 people can bag by hand and does not take breaks or call in sick and runs all by itself.

They are then wrapped in foam and put into the boxes.

New Econo Bags coming soon will be exactly the same except not put into boxes.

I'm a big fan of NSA but since changing the .30 slugs to cup base that little rim around the bottom of the slug gets damaged easy and the "econo bag" idea will make it much worse. I'd rather spend the extra 25 cents on a box.

I can agree here. I was also concerned about a similar thing when I read the other thread. I’ve purchased slugs from other vendors that were shipped in plastic bags and the slugs got banged around pretty good in transit. Those boxes thats NSA uses protect the slugs I’ve bought pretty well in comparison. Hopefully they’ll only use bags for slug sampler packs. I thought that’s what was expressed in the other post. 

I clean all my pellets & slugs with Acetone first and then a second time with Denatured Alcohol. This removes whatever lubricants or contamination that may have been introduced during the manufacturing process. You will be surprised to see all the gunk the Acetone removes from your pellets & slugs.

After weighing them and sorting them into groups that weigh within a tenth of a grain of each other I put them in pellet cans and mark the weight on the cans. Before shooting them I lightly lube them with Napier Power Pellet Lube. When they are all cleaned, sorted by weight, and lubed with Napier your fliers will disappear and your groups will get smaller!

In addition I clean my barrel's bore with Hoppes Elite Gun Cleaner which cleans "right down to the pores." You will like the results!

https://www.napierusa.com/products/power-pellet-lube-25ml?_pos=1&_sid=48fc76521&_ss=r

https://www.hoppes.com/cleaners-and-lubricants/elite/2-oz-spray-elite-gun-cleaner/HO-GC2.html