NSA .25 33.5 slugs not expanding

At what velocity do you normally shoot them and what’s a common distance? I use Varmint Knocker slugs more often than the NSA’s anymore because my gun loves them and I don’t have to changed tunes between the VK slugs and JSB MKII pellets. I have absolutely destroyed stuff with the 33.5gr. slugs at between 940-990fps though. A big part of expansion, as I’m sure you know, is the velocity, the energy upon impact and what part of the animal the slug hits.

I’ve heard these complaints about them not expanding before but have never really experienced the lack of expansion myself. What’s interesting is that there have been plenty of videos posted on line, showing the expansion of these slugs. Some video’s show them expanding like crazy in water, others shot in water, no expansion at all. Same thing in ballistic gelatin, clay and meat. It is a little perplexing and hard to explain after watching videos that show exact opposite results.

If you really want expansion and complete devastation, try the Varmint Knocker 32.8 or 34 grin slugs. They’re made of much softer lead and have a larger hollow point. My son was practicing with the VK slugs one day, shooting our 135yd. gong when a digger squirrel ran under the gong. My son asked if he could shoot it, I said yes and even at that distance, it was blown completely in two pieces...Other than a little bit of fur and skin. That shot hit the squirrel right in the abdomen and made contact with no large bones, maybe just a rib or two. The damage was done from the expansion and hydrostatic shock and it was gnarly!!!

Have a good Sunday afternoon!

Stoti

Below are a sampling of just a few of the slugs I tested over the past couple years. There are so many variations in lead/antimony content and the size and shape of the hollow point that contribute to expansion.

F507FB24-5A0F-4728-A701-488BDBB3AEB0.1610302621.jpeg

BF2AD6FD-A083-4B8D-AEBB-A949596B8474.1610302660.jpeg
40B20177-4A67-45D5-B78F-FB201A4C19FC.1610302913.jpeg

The VK slugs were always very consistent with expansion for me also. And velocity didn’t seem to matter much. Unfortunately I don’t have a gun that shoots them right now. I shoot other brands and have noticed the same thing with expansion. I’m not sure if it’s a balancing act with their lead recipe or what. Are softer slugs more expensive to produce? Does NSA’s high speed slug process require them to change the recipe and the result is a harder slug? That info would have to come from guys who actually melt lead and make slugs.

Thanks Stoti, with all the testing you have done I’ll heed your advice. I am shooting the nsa’s at 950, distances from 30 to 185 yards. My gun shoots them well through a superior liner but I have ordered the heavy superior to see how it works.

When shooting at long distance you can’t pick exactly where you want to hit them and I want to put them down quickly, I’ll try some varmint knockers!

vetmx, they do seem to be pretty hard when I tried to cut one in half.

NSA lead has a BHN of around 8. There is a misconception that the lead is hard. While 8 BHN is not pure lead it is still soft lead. Pistol bullets use a BHN of around 16 and pure lead is around 5-6. It is only slightly hardened to aid in the high speed process. The slightly hardened lead will also help with leading issues in your barrel. The amount of hardness is so slight it is hardly noticeable and we only harden enough to make the high speed process possible.

NSA lead has a BHN of around 8. There is a misconception that the lead is hard. While 8 BHN is not pure lead it is still soft lead. Pistol bullets use a BHN of around 16 and pure lead is around 5-6. It is only slightly hardened to aid in the high speed process. The slightly hardened lead will also help with leading issues in your barrel. The amount of hardness is so slight it is hardly noticeable and we only harden enough to make the high speed process possible.

Could I have got a batch that had a higher BHN? I do like the way they shoot but wish they had more expansion.

I shot 3 Fox squirrels yesterday with the NSA 33.5. All we’re pass through head shots so I couldn’t recover the slugs. I have an order of them coming and will be doing some expansion testing of my own. My MK3 is shooting them at just over 900 as of yesterday. Today’s tuning have them averaging 933. At 50 yards, the JSB 33.95 is holding 1 hole groups. The slugs aren’t far behind. But at 75 and 100, the slugs take the cake with groups I can cover with a quarter. 

There is two ways to get the expansion and energy dump that you are seeking with an airgun. The first is through high velocity and the second is through a larger or deeper hollow point within the slug. Those JSB pellets we're probably traveling at a pretty good speed (proportionately) compared to the slugs, due to slugs having more surface area in contact with the barrel, so they appeared to perform different. To get the energy dump that you are seeking try both the Varmint Knockers or the FX Hybrids as both have large hollow point cavities.

wahoowa- the exit hole is no larger than the entrance and the critters do NOT expire very quickly. If you can shooting them in the head at 150 yards plus you are a much better shot than I.

The problem is that the jsb pellets travel at a lower or equal speed seem to make them expire much quicker. This isn't just one or two squirrels it over dozens.

I am going to try varmint knockers next, unfortunately my fx impact didn't like the fx hybrids.