• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

NSA 17.5 grain slugs question

Hi all, I recently tuned my .22 cal S500 for .216 17s going ~915 FPS for about 25 shots. I zeroed my scope in at 40yds and shot as good as the 15.89 and 18 JSBs did, until I started testing them out to longer ranges, like 75 and 100yds. They then began going all over the place. Suddenly from dime-quarter sizes groups, to almost not even grouping. I asked some friends, and said that the barrel twist may have something to do with this. I believe that my barrel on my S500 is either 1 in 16 or 1 in 17. Could this be a factor in why they would not group at long range? Please if you have any other ideas of what may be happening here, or ways that might improve the accuracy of the slugs, please post them down below.

Thanks, PlinkForFun

I shot a variety of .22 griffin slugs out of a gamo magnum. That’s about 26 fpe if I recall. Very random. Lots of keyholing, hard to zero, poor grouping for some, while one weight and base worked really well. For my gamo the best grouping was with the deep hollow base, 20 grains. My worst were with truncated cone base. I tried 16,17,18, 19,20,21 grain and in that gun only the 20 grains were close to pellets in accuracy. Generally heavier was better but not the 21 grain - maybe I should have gone higher. Still occasionally keyhole. Have not tried other slugs in that gun. 

915FPS should be fine, can you remove your barrel and see how much force is needed to push one through the bore? Just a guess - they're probably too small.

I actually did try to push a pellet through the barrel to see the diameter of it, but due to how air arms makes the receiver assembly you can’t really push a pellet through the barrel.