• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

NRL22 2022 Season Allows .35 and up to 85gr Slugs

Haven't seen anyone post this in the NRL22 section yet, but the 2022 season rules have been updated for the Air Rifle Division with the following:

Division
6. Air Rifle division is for shooters using a rifle that operates with compressed air to fire a pellet or slug.. Projectiles cannot exceed 85 grains and must be .35 caliber or lower. Projectiles must be mass produced. Tethered tanks are not allowed. 

We'll see how long this change stays in place. My guess is this may not make a lot of clubs too happy, considering how much power some are getting out of their bigger calibers and/or heavier ammo.

True, I wonder what their reasoning was allowing up to (and even over) .22 LR FPE? And why they just skipped over .30 caliber, vice making .30 the new Airgun division rule. They could have said "up to .30 caliber slugs or pellets and less than 150 FPE"...

That would have been perfectly reasonable and ideal. I've never even seen anyone in either of the clubs that I shoot with run more than maybe 138FPE, and that was a guy shooting some Lapua ammo 1250FPS with a super long PRS rig (that he only used that rifle one time).

I've definitely felt that slugs should have been allowed with .30 and that the weight limits should have been increased for all calibers to level the playing field, but without any guidelines for energy I think we are going to see a LOT of targets get knocked down or destroyed.

That would have been perfectly reasonable and ideal. I've never even seen anyone in either of the clubs that I shoot with run more than maybe 138FPE, and that was a guy shooting some Lapua ammo 1250FPS with a super long PRS rig (that he only used that rifle one time).

I've definitely felt that slugs should have been allowed with .30 and that the weight limits should have been increased for all calibers to level the playing field, but without any guidelines for energy I think we are going to see a LOT of targets get knocked down or destroyed.

I agree, but in reality I don't think we'll see many guys shooting .35 caliber with 85 grain slugs...

35 cal 85gr would be an advantage on those large spinners that a competitor has to rock back and forth until they spin all the way around and as many times as possible within the time limit.

Will help also especially on those 1/4"ers on the KYL rack. Man I've missed so many of those by just a hair with my 22rf. Being a wider projectile these might bring a few more points into ones final score or maybe not.

No advantage with BC though as far as pellets go. Probably not much more with 35 cal slugs.

Helps in spotting misses too - on steel and misses in the dirt or kicking up debris.

It'd be fun to knock that steel around though, lol!!!

35 cal 85gr would be an advantage on those large spinners that a competitor has to rock back and forth until they spin all the way around and as many times as possible within the time limit.

Will help also especially on those 1/4"ers on the KYL rack. Man I've missed so many of those by just a hair with my 22rf. Being a wider projectile these might bring a few more points into ones final score or maybe not.

No advantage with BC though as far as pellets go. Probably not much more with 35 cal slugs.

Helps in spotting misses too - on steel and misses in the dirt or kicking up debris.

It'd be fun to knock that steel around though, lol!!!

Yep! That extra 45% in diameter will definitely make hitting that little SOB much easier LOL! That's one of the big reasons why I was shooting JSBs in .30. I also got our big spinner going around 4-5 times at our match last weekend (55y IIRC) with 44.75s tuned at 922, but there's no way those will get it going at 200y. They peter out too much that far out and drop down like artillery fire (all around the target when there's wind).

I think I'm just going to switch over to 49.5gr NSAs since they shoot so well to 200y in the wind (up to 960 with the 1:26" TJs before they start drifting too much). Thought about using 62gr VKs or 73gr Griffin BTs, but my Maverick is already 2-3x as loud as all the rimfires and I don't really want to piss anyone off jacking the power up higher lol

Yep that's the best option using the 49.5's slugs vs pellets. I don't own an air rifle that comes remotely close to what slugs do at long range precision using pellets. Though when I had a 30 EVOL the 44gr pellets did halfway decent pretty far away but no where near good enough to place high. Seemed from your video the 44's did reasonably well out there.

The Phoenix PRS shooters got so skilled with their high end 20 pound 22rf's that I pretty much tapped out as far as the NRL22 matches went. Part of my downfall is my age but back 3 years ago I was still able to win one match at Gunsite. Sadly I'm sure that was the last one for me. No interest in building one of those to be somewhat competitive anymore.

The other part is they started including long range stages and my air rifle at the time using 34gr pellets did 1.5 foot groups at 210Y which would have been a waist of time so I would have had to sit around for half the match if I were to use the AG.

If I showed up with my Uragan King using 34.9 NSA I could probably finish at 50% up the roster so its not even worth the gas money to try.

It'll be neat to see what you think of those slugs after you've shot a match or two with them.