NRA 600 YARD TARGETS, how do you mount them?

From Scotchmo's post. I figure I get some of the targets since I just started shooting at 500 yards. I never shot at a competion before so I never really stop to look at the targets much. So it's a good thing after reading Scotchmo's post I decided to get some. Well apparently the 300 yard targets are sold out. So I bought a box of the 500 and the 600 yard ones. Okay like I kinda understood that the targets were going to be a bit bigger. And I get that the official targets 300 and beyond are only one per sheet. But I dunno, I somehow did not put 2 and 2 together and realize how large these actually are. I'm wondering how do you put these up and what are the rules at your public range about putting up your own targets?
20231007_205430.jpg

I normally shoot the splatter targets that you see above. It is placed on top of a fx official target for comparison, which by the way I have to cut down just to fit inside the ranges target holders. This is the rule if I use the target boxes at the range. Now the 600 yard target is almost the size of the whole fx official target paper.
20231007_205626.jpg

The NRA 600 YARD target is 36" x 36"

there are no target holders at the 500 and beyond lines. So if they allow me I guess I can bring my own target holder. But to make things simple I was thinking of just stapling it to a pallet, and nailing a board on the side to hold it up. I dunno how well it will hold up to the wind though. Boy, the pallet probably won't fit in my car and I dunno if the range would let me put a pallet up at the 500 and 600 yard line.

So my question is what have you used and what does your public range allow?

Allen

Last edited:
Okay although I was going to try to build a A frame and hang a piece of carboard underneath and then staple the target on top, I got a little lazy. 🙄 so I decided to modify a exist target holder for now. Not so sure it will stay up if the wind is more than 5mph but maybe I can get a few shots in, before it gets knocked over and torn up. I bought a couple of these on Amazon a couple years ago.

Highwild Adjustable Target Stand Base for Paper Shooting Targets Cardboard Silhouette - H Shape - USPSA/IPSC - IDPA Practice - Upgraded Version (1 Pack) https://a.co/d/7vamBEL

But it is not quite wide enough. Modifying it means it will most likely be less stable. I got some angle iron and just put some self tapping screws in between the posts to make it wide enough.
20231008_195928.jpg

I think I should get some card board as a backer but at the same time it needs to fit in my sedan.
20231008_201518.jpg

Maybe screw it into some longer 2x4 legs 4 ft long?

Boy that thing is big. I hope I can see the holes in it when I shoot it. I don't have a target camera but maybe if they let me I can check the target with this thing during the line break. Although I've had it for a couple years I just flew it for the first time today. 🙄

20231006_173234.jpg

🤞🤞🤞

Allen

Last edited:
Reactions: Billinoregon