• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Now rifle won't cock if front trigger screw is tightened. What's up with that?

I have a Walther Terrus .22. Was shooting fine. I check and tighten my stock screws every so often, or if I suspect a problem. So, last time I tightened the trigger guard stock screws it would not cock- meaning I could break the barrel and pull it down but it would not 'catch' and set the trigger. I experimented and found I could tighten the rear screw all the way, but now can't tighten the front screw at all. Now any tension at all there means it won't cock. Needless to say it is not very accurate shooting like this!

Any idea why this would be and how to fix??? A couple months ago I took the trigger apart a polished and lubed it, but it has been working fine for a few thousand rounds.

Had the same thing happen!!!!

Seams that after a few times of removing and retighting the screw it goes in deeper.

Think it's because the stock is some kinda soft wood...

Need to shorten the screw on a grinder by about an 1/8th inch and you should be good to go. It's going up into the compression tube and hitting the piston...

James from Michigan, 

Strange. It is hard to imagine any tightening on the trigger guard having anything to do with the trigger sears. Are there any screws that can adjust the first and second stage of the trigger? If these become too loose then the sears can loose the ability to catch the hammer when it is cocked. My guess is that it is just a coincidence that the gun won't cock after tightening the trigger guard. Sort of like my wife blaming her car dying on bad gas because it only happened after she filled up at a different gas station than normal. Turned out her alternator went out and was totally unrelated.

If there are sear screws to adjust, try adjusting them. Maybe a little Loctite on them will keep them from moving on you in the future.

These are a couple videos I watched when I had a similar problem with my S510 Carbine. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80CMGEDpWmc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ge3cfq1AOQ

Strange. It is hard to imagine any tightening on the trigger guard having anything to do with the trigger sears. Are there any screws that can adjust the first and second stage of the trigger? If these become too loose then the sears can loose the ability to catch the hammer when it is cocked. My guess is that it is just a coincidence that the gun won't cock after tightening the trigger guard. Sort of like my wife blaming her car dying on bad gas because it only happened after she filled up at a different gas station than normal. Turned out her alternator went out and was totally unrelated.

If there are sear screws to adjust, try adjusting them. Maybe a little Loctite on them will keep them from moving on you in the future.

These are a couple videos I watched when I had a similar problem with my S510 Carbine. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80CMGEDpWmc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ge3cfq1AOQ

It's nothing to do with the sear...

The piston is hitting that screw before it gets anywhere near the sear!

The front trigger guard screw is going up into the compression tube!!!!!

I scratched my head for a while before I figured it out. ..lol.

James from Michigan, 

Thanks James. I'll try that. It makes sense.

BTW, I knew it had something to do with that one screw. If I tightened it it would not cock. If I loosened it it would work. I could make it happen or not with one turn repeatedly. Glad you had the experience and I could benefit from it! Love having you all as a helpful resource. Thanks to everyone who replied!

It's nothing to do with the sear...

The piston is hitting that screw before it gets anywhere near the sear!

The front trigger guard screw is going up into the compression tube!!!!!

I scratched my head for a while before I figured it out. ..lol.

James from Michigan, 

The trigger guard screws go through the wood stock and into the trigger unit. It is impossible for the front screw to go through the trigger unit and into the compression tube. If the stock is getting too compressed when tightening the screw, the tip of the screw is hitting something it shouldn't inside the trigger unit.

1533314816_10413646845b64870007e8f7.84782919_WaltherTerrusTriggerUnit.jpg

outdoorman, that is my trigger but the red part continues all around the pivot pin and is just above the front screw, so it seems like it could interfere if too 'long'.

I tried shortening the screw by grinding down the tip. I had to take of a fair bit but now it will cock when the screw it tight.

But, now I have another problem...with the tight screws it is shooting from on target (rarely) to 16 inches low at 25 yards and in between! Yikes! Why???

I checked the barrel pivot screws are tight and the barrel end cap is tight. It was only a little off with the loose trigger screw, now it is way off with everything tight.

I have checked the scope and it is tight. The screw does not come close.

More wierdness. I took the wood stock off and put on the synthetic stock and it shot better, not great for a little while. After every 15-20 shots I checked the trigger screws and they needed tightening. Well I did this 3-4 times when the cocking problem re-surfaced again. and I was back to square one. I then took off the stock and noticed that the screws are bottoming out against steel parts inside the trigger. Secondly, I noticed that the trigger case halves were split apart at the lower rear and in both directions toward the top and rear.

So, to sum up...

I can't tighten the trigger screws or it won't cock. (The shortened screw worked its way down with subsequent tightening)

The trigger halves are split even though both of the case screws are tight. WTH?

Well, I think I have figured out exactly what is the problem. I am by no means an expert but I believe that the two screws that hold the trigger guard and stock to the action are two long. It does not show up at first but does present a problem over time. As you tighten the screws the stock compresses and need to be tightened again. Eventually they push against the parts inside the trigger case and mess it up. I suggest all Terrus owners install shorter screws or modify them to be shorter.

I am starting a new thread because I want to warn Terrus owners and show pictures of the problem.