• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Now Kajan Mutant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many knockoffs of these Chinese bullpups are out there? What do they really sell us? I thought Taipan was like a premium brand gun. Now I hear of Kajan, Raptor, hear talk of them being made in China. Korean barrels? Makes me nervous what I paid $1475 for! Seems like a cheap OEM gun that anyone can put their label on.

6851952.jpg

6876775.jpg

post_16494_0_89675800_1403867354.jpg

I have asked the same question over on the bright colored forum, and my post was removed twice.

Most likely all these companies use one supplier source to make them these gun actions.

All I can add here is that I am sure glad I have bought a Wildcat. At least I can have a piece of mind knowing where it is made, and that there is no alike gun coming out from a different vendor.

Well, No sweat here, I have bought a Wildcat instead.

And btw, they don't market Taipan as being made in China. And they also don't mention that these guns are sold under different brand names world wide for up to 600 dollars. People pay 1,400 here as it being positioned as an exclusive product = to FX and Daystate. And they apparently don't come with CZ barrels too, as reported by some owners. And when these questions are being asked on one forum where these guns are heavily marketed, posts like these are being deleted. So I guess they don't have an answer on what they are selling at a premium price.

As for China making good products for their domestic market; well I don't know about that either. Their rich folks are doing all the shopping at European boutiques last time I had a conversation with a Chinese businessman on this subject. Folks that love to build communism sure have a good taste for western made products like Louis Vuitton clothing and Patek Philippe watches. PCP's made in China running on 300 bar pressure so far is an experiment for the real brave out here at 1400 price range.

I have a .22 Taipan Mutant standard. It has a CZ barrel. It has the best trigger I have ever used. It performs as good or better than the Daystates and FX guns I've owned. I've seen the Mutants engraved with made in Russia, made in US and Made in Ukraine. Two pictures above of these guns that appear to be the same model are engraved made in UA which means Ukraine and the other looks to say made in Russia. All these inconsistencies definitely make you wonder however what makes one think they are made in China? I personally think they are manufactured in Ukraine and the manufacturer has falsely engraved them in an effort to get around export/import issues they have faced. Not at all ethical practices which of course tarnishes their brand. What a shame as they have proven to many who own great examples of quality bullpups that they can make an exceptional airgun. 

Makes people wonder if it is China made because only the Chinese will slap a label and country of origin at a buyers request. And second is the selling price of these. They are reportedly cost there 600USD and in the US they cost $1400. Yet FX, Air Arms and Daystate cost the same there as everywhere else. I wonder why that is if these guns are as good as my Wildcat?

If they are heaving issues exporting these then Taipan is not a licensed dealer or the manufacturer of these in Ukraine. So how can these even be compared to FX and Daystate?

This is the Raptor, the gun that reportedly predated Taipan by 3 years, it uses FX style magazine. It is currently being made and sold also and for more money then Taipan. Parts look identical to me. That is why there are all these questions, on who really makes these.

seems like the Raptor, Taipan, and Kajan are identical bullpups build from the same parts. Even the bluing looks the same.

http://airgun.org.ua/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28821
made in UA
818 pages about raptor, try to find your answers there

Can't read what they are saying out there. But from looking at images shown the Raptor and Taipan sure look like the same gun to me, with different mag and gun stock style.

If these are build from the same OEM parts, how can these rifles even be compared to FX and Daystate?

Hello Everyone,
I wanted to share some information regarding the accuracy of the Taipan Mutant Shorty. There have been some questions regarding the barrels and we contacted the manufacturer asking for answers. We were told by the manufacturer that the last batch they shipped did not have CZ barrels. This is the first we heard about this. What we did find about the barrels being used is documented below. (Wild West Airguns owner)

My comparison of the Taipan Mutant to Daystate and FX has nothing to do with import/export or marketing practices. I am comparing craftsmanship, reliability, air efficiency and accuracy, basically the topics that matter when you are actually using a gun.

Well, heck I guess this is not important when you pay $1400 for a PCP! Can you actually imagine Daystate or FX using china made barrels and not telling their dealers and customers about that? And that is why on the Y forum, they delete all the posts from owners that show real groups these guns produce.

"Tactical"
Hello Everyone,
I wanted to share some information regarding the accuracy of the Taipan Mutant Shorty. There have been some questions regarding the barrels and we contacted the manufacturer asking for answers. We were told by the manufacturer that the last batch they shipped did not have CZ barrels. This is the first we heard about this. What we did find about the barrels being used is documented below. (Wild West Airguns owner)
My comparison of the Taipan Mutant to Daystate and FX has nothing to do with import/export or marketing practices. I am comparing craftsmanship, reliability, air efficiency and accuracy, basically the topics that matter when you are actually using a gun.

Well, heck I guess this is not important when you pay $1400 for a PCP! Can you actually imagine Daystate or FX using china made barrels and not telling their dealers and customers about that? And that is why on the Y forum, they delete all the posts from owners that show real groups these guns produce.
Another reference to China, lol. You're bound and determined to label these guns made in China. If you look at the Kajan website you can see that the current model is exactly the same as the Taipan Mutant standard and short that are sold in the US now. Kajan looks to be a dealer in the Ukraine. 
http://www.kajan.com.ua/accordions/view/rsr
The price isn't 600 USD. It appears to be 1372 USD for a standard and 1349 USD for the short. A lot of the pictures floating around, in my opinion, are earlier models and possibly even prototypes. 
I'm not taking anything away from your Wildcat. You obviously like it a lot. I like my Mutant and for good reason. As far as the barrels, the standard is CZ and the short barrels are said to be German made. It sucks that the said inconsistency tarnish the brand but I'm a happy owner. Carry on the campaign to make these China made if you will. 

Are you upset that a US dealer made a killing selling you an oem gun for $1000 over what they cost in Ukraine? There is no campaign here against Taipan or Kajan - just consumer awareness.

13500 Ukrainian Hryvnia equals 569.408 US Dollars, price is listed on Taipan website. Price of Kajan clone I have no idea about. Maybe they have become aware of what these guns sell for in the US and decided to sell them directly to us for $1372?

I agree, all this sucks if you own one of these, your resale value is done. Makes me glad I have bought a Wildcat from a reputable and real airgun company. And for less money too.

That was fast :) They have removed the price today from their page. But don't worry google cache is archiving everything for a real long time. The price of these in Ukraine is $569. The price of these here is $1,445.00 Ouch!!

How can you make a quality pcp for that price without using China made parts? I am not saying anything here just asking questions.

price.jpg

http://web.archive.org/web/20150117074950/http://tamaun.com.ua/catalog/7

it also looks like they were selling FX mags http://web.archive.org/web/20121129064003/http://tamaun.com.ua/catalog/2/25/ for $12 each. Guess where these might be made? I will give you a hint, you can find them on aliexpress along with a full line of Airforce clones and accessories. And that is why rumors of Taipan and Raptor being made in China are circulating airgun forums.

Who knows bud, who knows? Can't read any of the text which makes it hard to know what's what. I know that the current prices I see on European sites are around 1200USD or higher. I'm not upset about my purchase. Like I said, the Taipan doesn't take a back seat to any of the others. There are many reviews out there to confirm that. Enjoy your Wildcat. 

You can use google translate and verify everything yourself. That is what I did. The price of 13,200 their money or $569 was listed on Tailor made units website until a day ago. So they must be following this thread.

All I can tell you is that all the deception on where this gun is made, and under how many different names it is sold under, and who is the real manufacturer will come out sooner or later no matter how hard Savvas Schinis tries to control information on his forum.

Comparing these guns to FX and Daystate products is unbelievably outrageous! In fact it is sad to read. Compare them to Evanix or Hatsan and most people would agree with you.

The standards all have CZ barrels. Only the shorties used another barrel. I have a standard in .22 and it is as accurate as any airgun I have owned. It has as good or better trigger than my FX Boss, FX Royale 500, Daystate Air Wolf and others. It has a superior magazine and indexing system in my opinion. Can shoot any number of shots and pull out magazine and refill even while hunting and already have one pellet in barrel by just leaving one hole empty. Dont have to load first pellet backwards and remove other pellets out of magazine before you refill. Just plain simple to keep magazine topped off if you wish. Can easily decock any time you want. I took it apart after I was caught in rain storm and I can not imagine anyone building a more solid gun. The machine work is some of the best you will see. It is built like a "tank" but is lightweight. The trigger linkage and parts are of top notch quality. The safety works very nicely also with a nice little click. It is very quiet. I was sitting under tree and shot 6 crows out of same tree while calling without even moving my position. The sound of the pellet hitting the crow would make the others fly but not scare them off. Just hit the call again and more would land. It is my first bullpup and it does everything I could want in a gun. Just wish it was a .25 or .30. But I should get my IMPACT soon with both .25 and .30 barrels. I hope I like it as well as this Mutant. The only thing I think is a little cheap on these guns is the finish on the stock but I will sand it down and refinish it myself. So far it is the best airgun I have owned but I did really like my FXBoss and Royale 500. They are a close second place to me probably mostly because the Mutant my first bullpup and is so good. Hoping my FX Impact will be as good to me as this Mutant has been. 

Oaks,

From what you are reporting you most likely had a gun with a Chinese barrel made from steel that was not heat treated properly, thus when the barrel was polished it removed all the rifling :)

As for barrels "made in Germany" There are Korean OEM barrels called Barrel, that do come labeled as made in Germany. And Chinese barrels that come labeled as Carl Walther. All are fake barrels, costing $10-12 each.

3726647.jpg

barrels.jpg

People that are supposedly make Taipan, also sell fake FX magazines that are made in China. So there is a China parts sourcing connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.