Now it is Personal , Coyote attacked Titus when Colleen took him out side Today

Aside from your dog getting hurt bad and your good lady put in danger, I gotta say I am a little jealous of your situation.

I have Rabbit, woodpigion, squirrel, starling and rats, on my ( legal ) hit list, dead scary ( sarcasm )

The thought of having to protect the old homestead from a pack of wild animals has a ( probably imaginary ) romantasim around it.

I honestly believe I would enjoy the task,

I have probably watched to many old time movies.

Good luck.

+1 !! 😁

+2 I have taken many foxes going after the chickens around here. I am glad to hear the little ones getting better. It feels good doesnt it. Protecting ones homestead that is. Your work has just started by the sounds of things. 

Lou! Sorry to hear about Titas! Glad he made it! I got a dog just like him and am worried about the coyote threat also. I live in town but our neighborhood as been seeing the occasional coyote coming in when they get hungry. They have been destroying deer and rabbit populations in the area I hunt. Something has to be done with them! Blast away!

Hi last update 3 of them down , and they seemed to back off last few days m I am hoping they got point and moved on , Titus still is doing poorly , he has never recovered , he is laying around alot and latley has even peed in house which he never did , all bleeding stopped , we give him some cbd for pain still , other day he wouldnt even get up so I said let me try to bring him to , so I grabbed a coyote tanned skin and let him see it and he kind of latched onand was tugging and holding on for all he was worth , maybe being old it will bw like a few more weeks I hope , but one day last week I went around pond to paint targets and he ran around pond I was soo happy , but that was just a good day I guess , Last one I got was with my R5m 22 cal shooting my MP 36 gr at 940fos

LOU

Yeah, I can relate and sorry to find out about the attack on Titus! Poor ole doggy!

I have an old doggy too that got chewed up as well. I bought a Siberian Shepard pup to protect the older dog. When the pup was a year old or so I heard barking and a ruckus happening up the hill so I went running up there in my robe with my PS90 in hand. What did I see?? well simultaneously there was my stupid 75 pound pup literally playing with one coyote while the older dog was getting chewed up by another coyote. I fired, missed, then the yote's took off, but I winged one in the process which I didn't recover.

Every year I kill a yote or two right out the back of my property but I use only centerfire varmint cartridges now. They'll back off for a while then they'll get brave again and start harassing the dogs at which time the hunt begins all over again.

Hi last update 3 of them down , and they seemed to back off last few days m I am hoping they got point and moved on , Titus still is doing poorly , he has never recovered , he is laying around alot and latley has even peed in house which he never did , all bleeding stopped , we give him some cbd for pain still , other day he wouldnt even get up so I said let me try to bring him to , so I grabbed a coyote tanned skin and let him see it and he kind of latched onand was tugging and holding on for all he was worth , maybe being old it will bw like a few more weeks I hope , but one day last week I went around pond to paint targets and he ran around pond I was soo happy , but that was just a good day I guess , Last one I got was with my R5m 22 cal shooting my MP 36 gr at 940fos

LOU

Titus is gonna be Titus. Tugging on yotes is how you trained him. I imagine he’ll do it as long as he has teeth. Hunting dogs don’t tend to be soft and I think a lot of members on here can attest to still being fighters during their golden years - some having fought through cancer and various physical ailments. Sounds like you and Colleen are doing a good job of caring for Titus and I believe he knows it. One of the things that sucks most about friendships is the fact that most often one of us has to go first. So long as it appears that he’s trying to stick around and isn’t suffering, give him as much time as he needs to heal. He may not recover 100% back to his old self, but hell since when has that stopped anybody from keepin’ on? Continue to enjoy the time y’all have because he’s still here. Meanwhile keep givin’ those yotes medicine Lou.

so now titus is finally healing he needed antibotics I had to scrub out infection and use ointment on it I took out another yote with my r5m as well , this took alot out of mt titus but I think finally he is getting better a long road to recovery here is his wound where coyote got him this is a week earlier , also He lays around more but I figured out how to get him walking I take out a coyote pelt and he runs after me to bite iot lol

titus infection.1646368282.jpg
titus wound.1646368284.jpg

edgun is my choice of weapon for yotes in 22 cal , I have gotten 2 with my taipan but My Edgun R5m is a lazer and I have most confidence with it and to be certain it hits exactly where I aim , see My fear is a coyote runs and goes into some ones yard , Now with the .30 cal I am not as worried they pack a bigger punch by power and size of slug , I have anchored over 15 Yotes with a 30 cal and to be honest only 1 ran and I have to admit I have said it before it was with a 47 grain hollowpoint , and yes it was with a head shot , and every one I hit with a 22 cal seems to run up to 70 yds was longest but it was dead on feet as I had showed pics here the slug went threw dead center of heart , I mean if I had heart on a target and put where it would do most damage it hit there dead nuts , Believe it or not I do not lie this has been same with all coyotes but 1 when was shot with 22 cal , one that missed heart ran 30 yards but it broke ribs and double lung , and one which ran least was a lung shot which went into spine this one went 12 yards . I have saw many yotes run like a long ways on youtube and were shot with real guns and or like made awful noises and went in circles ,

I never had this happen to any I have taken , I think if it happened 1 time I would use a heavy caliber or different gun like maybe a 12 gauge shotgun with a slug , as I cant shoot a centerfire here in my state, You need alot of private land for this ,and heck if I had that much money Id be somewhere else lol

sorry ENace I realized after post you asked about which gun did I get last squirrel of season with the 25 gr mk2 slug this was also my R5m long , I normally shoot heavier slugs in my R5M but wanted to try a few clips with the lighter slugs they spot on in mine

LOU

Hi

glad your dog is doing better.. I don't hunt, unless it's a rattlesnake or ground squirrel.. and I use 22 caliber.. but I moved about a year ago to the woods, love it here with the quiet.. backed up to BLM..

been thinking about my dog.. big heeler.. and the previous place I lived, had several racoons attacks.. one actually came after me and lucky enough I was able to grab a long broken axe handle and had to beat him back.. my good old heeler who is now passed away put him up a tree while I ran in for the golden boy.. needless to say that if I see them they go down.. same place I was putting down yotes every year hunting my neighbor baby cows.. 

now to the point.. we have a wonderful governor who made it illegal to keep any firearm outside of the safe.. and unfortunately it is Oregon?? couldn't believe we are turning into California 

so I do have my PCP 22 loaded sitting beside the safe but I am trying to decide with my little budget what to do.. been thinking about stepping up the caliber.. so the two in my price range is the avenger.. largest available is 25 or the gauntlet gen 2 in 30 caliber when it comes out in April.. thinking the 30 is a better choice but I don't exactly like the reviews on the other calibers and not fond of bolt action..

I have the pre avenger in 22.. back when you get open sights with it.. and I can easily put everything through a 2" target at 160 yards.. then it turns into a scatter gun..

so with either of my options I will be forced to build my own front sight.. I have my own machine shop, just not extra time.. seems like nothing PCP is available with open sights anymore.. guess I should get glasses but I can't see the cross hairs in a scope.. shot open sights all my life and I'm a old cowboy and actually prefer my single six and lever action.. many a yote at a 1/4 mile plus on the run took the tumble.. but I prefer to stay in the law.. neighbors and sheriff could care less about what the governor said.. I just don't want trouble..it just takes possibly precious time in a emergency to open the safe..

not really liking our new world and all the changes.. should have been born in the 1800..

so please I have posted elsewhere on here with no replies.. should I go with 25 caliber avenger.. it's almost exactly like the 22 American tactical Nova Liberty.. and I am happy with it.. or should I go with the gauntlet gen 2 in 30 caliber??

never used a gauntlet, so I really would like advice?

thanks for any suggestions you have to offer..