Now it is Personal , Coyote attacked Titus when Colleen took him out side Today

I was sleeping and got woken up at 1 am with banging I ran outside on deck to see 3 of them one was on top of quail pen cage biting the medal fence like going crazy I shot him in chest threw heart with evol he fell over I couldnt get other 2 , should I leave him where he was will this tell them go away>>>????? normally i would skin them and process them and titus eats them ,

So titus is starting to recover Finally where they got him it was making like pools of blood size of softball , the vet colleen knew before she moved here told her to get a drainage needle and drain it but keep very close eye on him as he must have internal injury , she just retired so prior to this when he needed shots or to see a vet she would go to NY like 3 .5 hr drive , but she moved across country ,I didnt bring him into new vet yet came close when I saw some blood in urine but it seemed to clear up .

I was very sad and depressed I thought he was going to die , he is my friend heck since I joined here , every hunt he was by my side I taught him to hunt ,

also on one game camera across pond I saw 42 pics of yotes in a 3 hr span I dono if they walking back and corth or it is infested ,

SO DO I leave CARCASS OR NOT WHERE i SHOT HIM HE IS LITTERLY 30 FEET FROM SIDE OF HOUSE 10 YARDS FROM WHERE THE ATTACK OCCURRED

Do not leave the dead yote. It is only an additional food attractant. It is more protein for the yotes. They will eat a dead yote body in a heart beat.

On a side note, it is advisable to place an electric fence at least around the quail pen if not around the whole yard. I raised quail for years & quickly learned from the school of hard knocks to use an electric fence.to keep ground predators from approaching the poultry areas. Just place it far enough away that the birds won't be spooked & place the rows of wire close together. I had mine to a height of five feet with the wire rows placed about 3 inches apart and down to within a couple inches of the ground. This will keep out smaller predators including damn house cats.

I simply can’t imagine the scenario you painted! The fact that your wife was right there and they had the boldness to attack, I’m damn near speechless.

Was there a light on? I’m just wondering for my own knowledge.

My office is out in the country. Every time I let Penny out at night, I step out on the steps and I yell at the coyotes and raccoons to go away…It’s made me feel kind of like an ass on some occasions, now I feel smart.

A few years ago, before Penny, I went out to my car at night with a flashlight, and stumbled upon a raccoon, a big one. He snarled at me. I slowly walk the 10 feet back to the door, grabbed the pest eliminator - which happens to be a shotgun, and he doesn’t snarl anymore

There are some really good inexpensive semi auto 22 Magnum’s on the market right now. It’s what I carry now when I go for a walk in case we run into a raccoon.

so glad Titus is doing well! Can you shoot him some kind of a bird snack? Lots of protein in one of those, and if I remember correctly he loves them.

I’ve had opportunities in the evening where they’re at the deer carcass. I use a 12 gauge pump with buck shot. 3 inch magnum‘s. Maximum shock and awe.

I’ve baited them effectively with squirrels. I use one of those big long spike nails about 12 inches long and drive it into the ground through the squirrels body. If you put a game camera out you will watch them trying to runoff with the squirrel.

If she would shoot it, I would be very tempted to give my wife a single shot 410 for bathroom duty….And yell go away coyotes! When you walk out the door.

Your story freaks me out. 

mike

download.png

download.png

I got a second one across pond today , They were eating apple cores put out for deer , I saw a fox and 2 yotes came out near him and he ran other one stopped I took him out with EVOL 2 down

Reactions: Peacemaker1312
Ill get pics it is 0 outside now I didnt film shots , I had left carcass like some said to detour them but I think thats what had got into the meat on them , when i go outside if it warms up Ill take pics and post here we got them salted and drying out now , My body cant handle this weather I got rods in my back a medal femur ,fake hip and 1 lung after a poisoning so cold is not my friend , Colleen had to do it for me , she learned from a child how to skin , Her dad was from upstate NY and was a trapper by trade and she learned how to do this and is alot better then me even skinning say squirrels , Her dad taught her in 1970s and in college she took a anthropology class and had to make a primitive tool like the cavemen did out of slate , she is a real trooper

update here is pics of the 2 I got , I had colleen flip pelts to show you guys , The larger one was one which was trying to chew threw steel fencing to get at the quail ,

BOY Titus came to life when he saw them furs he hobbled over barking and took holld of one of them , It made me smile he still has a bit of fight left in him

LOU

_DSC1372.1644159959.JPG
_DSC1373.1644159960.JPG
_DSC1375.1644159960.JPG
_DSC1377.1644159961.JPG

Reactions: Peacemaker1312
Aside from your dog getting hurt bad and your good lady put in danger, I gotta say I am a little jealous of your situation.

I have Rabbit, woodpigion, squirrel, starling and rats, on my ( legal ) hit list, dead scary ( sarcasm )

The thought of having to protect the old homestead from a pack of wild animals has a ( probably imaginary ) romantasim around it.

I honestly believe I would enjoy the task,

I have probably watched to many old time movies.

Good luck.

My state decided that we needed coyotes where there have been none for a long time. Now we don't have quail anymore and dogs bark all night long because the coyotes are yapping in the woods all around them. Took a real brainiac to come up with that idea.

You don't have an exclusive club. Unfortunately politicians rule the conservation/wildlife department of their state & control the legal decisions & policy. The conservation/wildlife staff is then left biting their tongue & shaking their head at stupid decisions but must administer these decisions & policies. Years of education, training, wildlife observation/research, & experience by the conservation/wildlife staff is thus ignored. We all have seen it & live with the consequences. Sad.

Aside from your dog getting hurt bad and your good lady put in danger, I gotta say I am a little jealous of your situation.

I have Rabbit, woodpigion, squirrel, starling and rats, on my ( legal ) hit list, dead scary ( sarcasm )

The thought of having to protect the old homestead from a pack of wild animals has a ( probably imaginary ) romantasim around it.

I honestly believe I would enjoy the task,

I have probably watched to many old time movies.

Good luck.

+1 !! 😁